AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an example of a bedrock stand:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maple-Bedrock-1-Semi-Gloss-Black/productinfo/BED1-BL/

How would this compare to a traditional floor stand for bookshelf speakers? I like the low profile and "hidden" style of bedrocks over the traditional ones as those are too eyecatching and looks less elegant IMO.

Then again, these bedrock stands cost $400+ for a pair compared to a decent stand for $100-125 for a pair.

Also, bedrocks are supposedly great at helping bookshelfs achieve better dynamic range and improve transient response.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

audiofluff... probably even worse than the usual audiofluff, as the usual audiofluff does nothing, whereas these would actually have a good chance of making your sound worse...

interesting creative writing in their ad copy though...

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld  /t/1418942/bedrock-stand-vs-normal-...d-better-for-bookshelf-speakers#post_22194605

Here is an example of a bedrock stand:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maple-Bedrock-1-Semi-Gloss-Black/productinfo/BED1-BL/

How would this compare to a traditional floor stand for bookshelf speakers?

If I believed that this approach had any technical merit, I'd still criticize this product on the grounds that it is very wimpy. Why use relatively low density Maple blocks when there is so much concrete in this world? It looks cool, they tell a fanciful story, and in a few cases it might even make an audible difference, perhaps by weighting down a loose floorboard.

Quote:
I like the low profile and "hidden" style of bedrocks over the traditional ones as those are too eyecatching and looks less elegant IMO.

Then again, these bedrock stands cost $400+ for a pair compared to a decent stand for $100-125 for a pair.

$125 a pair for speaker stands is still about 10 times as much as I've ever paid. ;-)
Quote:
Also, bedrocks are supposedly great at helping bookshelfs achieve better dynamic range and improve transient response.

What are your thoughts?

One word: Floobydust. ;-) If you like it for its decorative value, just be honest with yourself and indulge your aesthetic sense with pride. Its your money!

·
Banned
719 Posts
Like the entire market for 'magic' speaker stands, supports, etc., too often the basic needs are ignored in exchange for buxzz words and claims.

Issues to be addressed can be grouped into 2 camps.

One.

This is the 'nice' scenario where you have access to a rigid inert surface.

In this case you have access to a rigid inert surface such as like a poured concrete floor that you have verified does not act as a flanking vector for sound.

As such, a speaker and stand may be mechanically coupled to this surface with will moderate secondary sound transmission as a result of the surface being mechanically inert.

This is optimal and straightforward.

And if you do not have such a situation, you want to beware of case two.

Two.

You have a speaker that is mechanically coupled to a non-inert surface such as a sprung wood floor...or to a shelf on a non-rigid frame wall...

The problem? The speaker may transmit energy via the stand to the inert surface where the surface itself may resonate and retransmit the energy back to the space, or this surface may act as a mechanical conduit which may transmit the energy to yet another secondary surface that will then retransmit the acoustic energy audibly back into the space...

In this case you would use a product like Sorbothane to mechanically decouple the materials and effectively break the mechanical sound transmission path.

Don't pay too much. And ignore the 'magic' claims

Stands, assuming that they are themselves insert, are only as good as the platform on which they sit. They themselves offer little aside from being inert.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I think I'm about to order some square tires for my car. I read an ad for some that said they would give my car "unshakable handling". Wonder just what that meant?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tested the theory of placing speakers on the floor, and I tried with my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. The bass is "boomier" as the sub is not that great, but placing them back on a desk, and the lows doesn't go as deep.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld  /t/1418942/bedrock-stand-vs-normal-...er-for-bookshelf-speakers/0_100#post_22200872

I tested the theory of placing speakers on the floor, and I tried with my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. The bass is "boomier" as the sub is not that great, but placing them back on a desk, and the lows doesn't go as deep.
Read

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've used these "bedrock" stands for under subs, on top of subs and to raise up a floor standing speaker.

Works like a charm on the carpet/pad over concrete in my basement HT... hehe... seriously.

Under subs and speakers...

On top of subs...

Work like a charm, cheap as you can get, solid and heavy.

Only drawback is heave-ho-ing them from the garage to the basement!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts