AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a decent home theater setup in our living room consisting of a Pioneer 5020FD plasma, Pioneer 1019 receiver and Elemental Designs 7.1 speakers/sub. Now it is time to turn to the bedroom.

We already have a TV cabinet in there that won't be going away. (It matches the entire bedroom set.) Currently it houses an old Panasonic 27 CRT, cable box and Sony DVD player. The initial plan is to change the TV out to a decent 32 LCD (likely a Pansonic IPS model) and some sort of internet enabled blu-ray player. But I would like to get some improved sound in there. I'm not sure how critical surround would be, but it would be nice to have a decent front stage and a little bit of bass.

The L/C/R speakers would likely have to be tucked into the cabinet and would have to be pretty small. There isn't a whole lot of room on either side of the cabinet once a 32 LCD is put in. The initial thought was to go with a blu-ray HTiB from Samsung or Sony. Something along the lines of the Sony BDV-E770W ($550) or similar.

Another option would be something like the Pioneer HTZ-BD30 ($450) along with maybe a Roku XDS ($100). This would mostly be just because of my affinity for Pioneer and the aesthetics to please the wife. The biggest challenge would be running the speaker wire for the surround speakers. The Roku would also be more likely to get updated for internet apps than a blu-ray player allowing for less need to replace the blu-ray player in the future. My big concern here is that I don't think the Pioneer HDMI is set up for Audio Return Channel so that other sources could be pushed through the 5.1 system.

I was considering integrating an actual receiver and building off of that, I just don't think we have the space in the cabinet for the receiver along with the TV, blu-ray player and speakers. So while searching I came across the Onkyo HTX-22HDX ($300). This is a low power 2.1 system (5.1 capable) from Onkyo that has 3 HDMI 1.4a in and 1 HDMI 1.4a out with Audio Return Channel. This along with a wifi enabled blu-ray player seems like it could be a decent starter system.

My concern with this system is power. 24w/channel at 6 ohm + a 60w 6.5 subwoofer seems sort of low. But again, this will be for a bedroom system. So I'm not looking to rattle the windows, just get fuller sound. I also considered swapping in the new Polk TL1 or TL2 speakers either in 2.1, 3.1 or 5.1 ($160 - $500) configuration, but I don't know if that would even make that much of a difference given the low power output of the HTX-22HDX.

I know this is a lot to take in, but I would appreciate any input you might be able to provide.

Simple break down:

Sony BDV-E770W - 1000W 5.1 Wireless Blu-Ray - $550

Or

Pioneer HTZ-BD30 + Roku XDS - 1100W 5.1 Blu-Ray + Netflix, etc. Streamer - $550

Or

Onkyo HTX-22HDX + Wireless Blu-Ray Player (+ Polk TL Upgrade) - 185W 5.1 - $450 ($610 - $1400)

Or

Your recommendation?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the recommendation, but I just don't think there will be room to include a full receiver. If I could, I would probably just grab one of the small Klipsch or Polk 5.1 setup and a Pioneer receiver.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTon20s /forum/post/19586201

I appreciate the recommendation, but I just don't think there will be room to include a full receiver. If I could, I would probably just grab one of the small Klipsch or Polk 5.1 setup and a Pioneer receiver.

Ok then realize you are buying a disposable system that you should be prepared to total throw out when one part breaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mind if I ask, in what regard these are disposable? And are you referring to going Pioneer/Polk as opposed to Denon/Boston Acoustic, or just with a HTiB system?

I guess at this point, it doesn't matter all that much anyway. None of the systems I listed will really work after all. The cabinet space I have is less than 35 wide, clear. By the time you put the TV in, we're talking less than 2 on either side. So whether a HTiB or a receiver/5.1 setup, there just isn't room for even traditional small satellite speaker setup.

After your recommendation for the Denon/Boston Acoustics gear, I went a little further down the rabbit hole on BA's website. I think my only real option is going to be some sort of soundbar. I've narrowed it down to three. A Boston Acoustics TVee Model 20, Polk Surroundbar IHT3000 (or SDA), or Sony HT-CT150. Right now I am leaning toward the Sony model because of the flexibility and reading reviews on all of the models. Again, you would probably consider these disposable as well, but probably less so than a HTiB with included Blu-Ray player.

So the big decision now becomes wifi enabled blu-ray player with Netflix and other apps? Or a basic fast blu-ray player and media streamer (Roku XDS)? This option should keep me in the $400 - $550 total price range. But this, and probably the soundbar talk are fodder for another section of the forums.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The Pioneer HTZ-BD30 is a rebadged LG. I find that strange, considering they have been rebadging Sharp players these days. Of course, I wish they'd go back to making their own players again.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C /forum/post/0

The Pioneer HTZ-BD30 is a rebadged LG. I find that strange, considering they have been rebadging Sharp players these days. Of course, I wish they'd go back to making their own players again.

Where did you get that information? I've been searching all over for info about the htz-bd30, but all i get is links back to pioneer's website.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by driab /forum/post/19756236

Where did you get that information? I've been searching all over for info about the htz-bd30, but all i get is links back to pioneer's website.

After reading the manual to the HTZ-BD30, I noticed how similar its functionality was to my LG BD530 Blu-ray player. Then when I checked the parts list for an LG HTiB and the parts list for the Pioneer HTZ-BD30, they actually use many of the same parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My opinion, Get a PS3, u won't be changing that in a hurry (better internal audio and video processing than most other source devices with netflix no disc required anymore) and a pair of Audioengine A5s.

Its the bedroom, u wont be trying to crack the floor and it will sound good without annoying anyone else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.