AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm putting together a system for the master bedroom, so I'm going match my 42" Plasma with a soundbar (for simplicity sake). The screen/soundbar will be installed in a built-in which is somewhat off-center in the room. I have a rather large window on the near wall to contend with (if I go Yammy). Also the viewing area is on the backwall (headboard of bed), so there's no space behind the viewing area, if that matters for deflection.

I'm looking at the following solutions:

Polk Soundbar 360 (first choice b/c no reliance on the wall configuration)

Yamaha YSP 1100

Denon DHT-FS3

I know many here like the Yamaha solution. I'm just worried about the window and the fact that the actual viewing area is not in the center of the room. Does anyone have any experience with the Polk or Denon solution? No idea if the Polk DVD player is any good. I've attached a graph of the room config, if that helps.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any advice and counsel supplied.

Room config.doc 25k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Davyo,

I was kinda hoping you would see this
. No reason not to include Sony. I haven't read much about it, but I've seen it referenced a time or two here. It didn't seem like it was marketed as a quasi 5 channel solution (for instance the Polk speakers have inputs for all 5 channels). I don't think of Sony as a speaker company, but I guess that logic holds thru for Denon as well. The Sony price point is attractive.

Is my concern overblown re: the possible poor sound reflection given the room config? How flexible is the Yammy solution. I've read that they've limited the amount of "aiming" you can do on the newer versions. I do like the concept behind Yamaha and they've had 3-4 generations to tweak. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandStyle /forum/post/15420567

Davyo,

I was kinda hoping you would see this
. No reason not to include Sony. I haven't read much about it, but I've seen it referenced a time or two here. It didn't seem like it was marketed as a quasi 5 channel solution (for instance the Polk speakers have inputs for all 5 channels). I don't think of Sony as a speaker company, but I guess that logic holds thru for Denon as well. The Sony price point is attractive.

Is my concern overblown re: the possible poor sound reflection given the room config? How flexible is the Yammy solution. I've read that they've limited the amount of "aiming" you can do on the newer versions. I do like the concept behind Yamaha and they've had 3-4 generations to tweak. Thoughts on this?

The YSP's are the king of all the soundbars,, soundwise.

For connectivity, HDMI inputs, price, cool factor look and really really good sound my pick for second place is the Sony.

(If you do a search of me on this forum you will see all my other reviews of all the other soundbars I have purchased and returned, and also my comparison of the YSP1100 vs the CT-100).

Best advice though is just go pick up the Sony at a store that does not charge a re-stocking fee and try it out in your own home.

ALL soundbars are very finicky, as in, ya never really know how good or bad any soundbar is going to sound until you take it home and set it up in the room you want to use it in.

In the right shaped room the Sony can sound killer and the same goes for the YSP's.

Also, I recently compared the YSP1100 and the YSP900 in the same room and in that comparison I feel the YSP900 sounded better than the 1100,, (my comparison mini review can also be found in this forum section).

Also do a search for "da1writer" he is the CT-100 guru and he has posted a ton of information on the CT-100.

From the looks of your room configuration I think the Sony would work just fine and a YSP as well,, two suggestions though,, I would mount the soundbar at a higher level than your bed,,, you dont want the sound gettin eatten up by hitting the bed,,,, also, the window on the right,, hopefully that window does not have curtains,,, curtains will also eat the sound and kill any reflectivity that a soundbar needs to work.

The bigass Sony CT-100 thread,,,,,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1026566

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and advice. We have curtains, but I'll do the try & buy approach and see how the Sony sounds.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandStyle /forum/post/15425262

Thanks for the input and advice. We have curtains, but I'll do the try & buy approach and see how the Sony sounds.

Cheers

If ya get a chance, try and demo two at the same time, return the loser and keep the winner.

Pictured below,,, is the Sony CT-100 and the YSP-1100 sitting on my fireplace mantel during my little comparison/shootout.

Cheers

Davyo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.