AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to argue plasma vs LCD tech in general....I just want to know the general differences between the sets I am comparing.

Ok, I want as good a smaller, less expensive display for my bedroom as I can afford. I'd prefer not to spend much more than the $500 range, but if picture quality is that much better for the alternative, I may spend more.

In the smaller size, I am considering the Toshiba 40" E210U or the Panasonic 42ST30.

For the 46" sets it's between the Toshiba 46G310U and the Panasonic 46ST30. (3D of the ST30 sets is nice but it won't be a factor in choosing one over the other. My living room setup is where I would care about 3D)

Has anybody compared the black levels and/or colour/pic quality of the above Toshiba 40" and 46" sets to the Panny 42ST30 and 46ST30? In trying to save money, the Toshiba 40" would be the best bet, but it's hard to compare black levels in the stores. The Toshiba black level seems fairly low in casual viewing in the stores, but if the ST30 plasma's are much lower, I may opt for one of those instead.

My main uses will be movies and HDTV. I don't game much. There is quite a big difference in cost between these sets in each case, so I am wondering what the drawbacks would be with the Toshiba's lcd sets vs. the Panasonic plasma's. I have a window on the opposite wall, but I will control the lighting if I have to.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
The only LCD TV that will have black levels that are comparable to the ST30 is the Sony 46HX929, but it's around twice the price of the ST30. Some of the other high-end LED LCD TVs are getting close to a good Plasma, but they are a lot more expensive - and they still come up short on PQ. The less expensive LCD TVs in the ST30's price range won't perform nearly as well as the ST30, and since this TV will be in the bedroom the ST30's superior black levels are very useful.

In the sub-50" size category, the ST30 outperforms everything else regardless of price. The ST30 is widely regarded as the best bang for the buck and i agree - especially in this smaller size range.

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/20817060

I don't want to argue plasma vs LCD tech in general....I just want to know the general differences between the sets I am comparing.

Ok, I want as good a smaller, less expensive display for my bedroom as I can afford. I'd prefer not to spend much more than the $500 range, but if picture quality is that much better for the alternative, I may spend more.

In the smaller size, I am considering the Toshiba 40" E210U or the Panasonic 42ST30.

For the 46" sets it's between the Toshiba 46G310U and the Panasonic 46ST30. (3D of the ST30 sets is nice but it won't be a factor in choosing one over the other. My living room setup is where I would care about 3D)

Has anybody compared the black levels and/or colour/pic quality of the above Toshiba 40" and 46" sets to the Panny 42ST30 and 46ST30? In trying to save money, the Toshiba 40" would be the best bet, but it's hard to compare black levels in the stores. The Toshiba black level seems fairly low in casual viewing in the stores, but if the ST30 plasma's are much lower, I may opt for one of those instead.

My main uses will be movies and HDTV. I don't game much. There is quite a big difference in cost between these sets in each case, so I am wondering what the drawbacks would be with the Toshiba's lcd sets vs. the Panasonic plasma's. I have a window on the opposite wall, but I will control the lighting if I have to.

The Toshiba is a very nice set IMO! Also, look at Sam's Club at the Vizio's; A very excellent bang for the buck and you want have to worry about Burn-in on a plasma if you fall asleep and leave the set on all night. Regards!

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20820868

The Toshiba is a very nice set IMO! Also, look at Sam's Club at the Vizio's; A very excellent bang for the buck and you want have to worry about Burn-in on a plasma if you fall asleep and leave the set on all night. Regards!

Jeezus do you ever stop with the Plasma dis-information? Panasonic Plasma will not get burn-in from being left on all night. And if that is even a concern, the Panasonics have timers that can be set up to automatically turn the TV off at a specific time every night, or at different times on different nights.

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20821701

Jeezus do you ever stop with the Plasma dis-information? Panasonic Plasma will not get burn-in from being left on all night. And if that is even a concern, the Panasonics have timers that can be set up to automatically turn the TV off at a specific time every night, or at different times on different nights.

It's funny, I never see you posting in the master burnin Sticky! Go there!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don' worry guys...I'm not scared of the burn-in IR boogey man...lol...Hey, I experienced IR on my lcd projector once, and it went away. Also, I rarely if ever game, and I will purposely watch FULL 16:9 content and do other things to avoid static images on any of my sets.

The bottom line is, either of the Toshiba's are a very good low cost TV for the bedroom, but they can't equal the ST30. I will decide my budget and roughly what size I can afford. I am now leaning towards a 46ST30 up to a 50GT30 but I think it's more than likely between the 46 or 50 ST30. Will have to spend a bit more, but it'll be worth it. Then to decide on living room TV.

thanks for the feedback folks,

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I have to admit, it's kinda hard to decide because of the cost difference. Just looking at the better prices out there (without talking absolute pricing, just difference in cost of one over the other), after taxes, the Panny 46ST30 is $700 more than the 40" Toshiba E210U. As much as I like the ST30 Panasonic's at the moment, and the contrast and blacks of the Toshiba won't be the greatest, I'm not sure I will pony up the so much cash for a bedroom TV. Maybe getting such a costly TV for the bedroom is too much when I will also have a TV in my living room. I may check out the pricing for the 42ST30...but there is something about 42" plasma TV's that don't interest me, and....I somehow doubt that the 42ST30 will be that much of a cash savings. I could always compromise with the 40" Toshiba in the bedroom, maybe use it for PC/laptop too, and spend more on my main living room theatre display. Decisions, decisions...

What do you guys think of the 42ST30?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc
What do you guys think of the 42GT30?
The GT30 is not available in a 42" screen size in North America. The smallest is the 50 incher.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
The GT30 is not available in a 42" screen size in North America. The smallest is the 50 incher.
Doh! I meant 42ST30....I corrected my post.

I am going around and round over which models to get and for what reasons. At least I've narrowed the sizes down a bit. 40" to 50" for bedroom. 55" or 65" for living room. If I was wealthy I'd have decided by now. My problem is I want the best but can't really afford them. Actually, I would prefer a 50" VT in bedroom and 60" VT in living room, but Panasonic doesn't market those sizes in Canada. Maybe by the time I'm done comparing...the next years models will be out. Anyhow...

I suppose I could get the Toshiba 40" for the bedroom if it's really what I can afford, and then if it has lcd issues, well, that's what I get for my money. Spend more on 42" to 50" plasma for bedroom and be happier.

So, any thought on the 42ST30? Does anybody else feel 42" plasma's are almost lower end, no matter what model line they are in? I mean, I get the feeling that a 42ST30 will be ok, but not quite as good a display as the 46ST30 or larger ST's. Maybe I'm just used to seeing the lower end 42" plasma's.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc
Doh! I meant 42ST30....I corrected my post.

I am going around and round over which models to get and for what reasons. At least I've narrowed the sizes down a bit. 40" to 50" for bedroom. 55" or 65" for living room. If I was wealthy I'd have decided by now. My problem is I want the best but can't really afford them. Actually, I would prefer a 50" VT in bedroom and 60" VT in living room, but Panasonic doesn't market those sizes in Canada. Maybe by the time I'm done comparing...the next years models will be out. Anyhow...

I suppose I could get the Toshiba 40" for the bedroom if it's really what I can afford, and then if it has lcd issues, well, that's what I get for my money. Spend more on 42" to 50" plasma for bedroom and be happier.

So, any thought on the 42ST30? Does anybody else feel 42" plasma's are almost lower end, no matter what model line they are in? I mean, I get the feeling that a 42ST30 will be ok, but not quite as good a display as the 46ST30 or larger ST's. Maybe I'm just used to seeing the lower end 42" plasma's.
42ST30 owner here. The best tv I've ever bought in this price range and size. Much, much better than the S2 I owned last year, and better than the 2 Sony lcd set's I've had by far.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20820423

The only LCD TV that will have black levels that are comparable to the ST30 is the Sony 46HX929, but it's around twice the price of the ST30.

Randy this is some misinformation. First off, the hx929 would have noticeably superior black levels to the ST30. Secondly, any local dimming LCD would also have superior black levels to the ST30. Thirdly, a slew of the higher end edge lit LCDS would have 'comparable' black levels to the ST30 (samsung d8000, samsung d6400, sony hx729, sony nx720, etc). While I respect your knowledge on this forum, you can't just make a blanket statement like that.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/20830344

42ST30 owner here. The best tv I've ever bought in this price range and size. Much, much better than the S2 I owned last year, and better than the 2 Sony lcd set's I've had by far.

Ok, cool, good feedback. Is the 42ST30 replacing another display? An upgrade replacement of sorts?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmalone1 /forum/post/20831090

Randy this is some misinformation. First off, the hx929 would have noticeably superior black levels to the ST30. Secondly, any local dimming LCD would also have superior black levels to the ST30. Thirdly, a slew of the higher end edge lit LCDS would have 'comparable' black levels to the ST30 (samsung d8000, samsung d6400, sony hx729, sony nx720, etc). While I respect your knowledge on this forum, you can't just make a blanket statement like that.

From what i've read, and i could be wrong since i don't read that much about LCDs, is that while the black levels on the higher-end LED LCD TVs are basically good, their blacks don't have good shadow detail. If that's true and/or correct, then i don't think i'd consider that superior.

Since you're an LCD guy, can you point to some threads or posts where unbiased posters discuss LED LCD black levels compared to Plasma?

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20831608

From what i've read, and i could be wrong since i don't read that much about LCDs, is that while the black levels on the higher-end LED LCD TVs are basically good, their blacks don't have good shadow detail. If that's true and/or correct, then i don't think i'd consider that superior.

Since you're an LCD guy, can you point to some threads or posts where unbiased posters discuss LED LCD black levels compared to Plasma?

Well I do agree that on the whole one of plasma's main advantage is black levels and shadow detail, especially when you take price into account. That's actually one of the main reasons i'm considering a d7000/gt30, is picture quality/size per dollar. Plasmas to similarily priced LED LCDs still have superior black level (especially shadow detail as you mentioned), but the upper echelon of LED LCDS have great blacks and the shadow detail is improving greatly (especially on the hx929), but you will pay for it.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My first "home theatre" display upgrade was going from a 32" 4:3 JVC to a Panasonic AE100 and I went through numerous lcd projectors over a period of 3 or 4 years, so I am used to the 'look' of lcd. Also, I am sure the lcd TV's of today have similar or better contrast than the projectors I used in 2005 for example....so, I do sort of know what to expect.

The point of comparable black levels per dollar is important, also in regards to other picture quality aspects. I don't think I would be happy with a Panasonic X3 or even an S30...although it would be interesting to see how they would compare to the 40" Toshiba E210U. I think the 40" Toshiba wouldn't be a bad alternative at that price point, but once you get to the ST30, I suspect that lcd tv's of comparable price wouldn't please me as much as the ST30.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20822735

It's funny, I never see you posting in the master burnin Sticky! Go there!

Here's what I say. Once the Master Burn-in thread is eliminated from the AVS forum, then and only then, can burn in on plasma not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20837607

I'm wondering why the OP is skipping the S30 as a bedroom TV.

The Panny S30 are my go to for TV's in a bedroom.

I compared them to the ST30 and they don't look as good. Black levels are noticeably higher.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
If budget is a factor, don't forget to consider the 720p plasmas from Samsung, LG, and Panasonic. They make very good bedroom TVs, and the black levels are good on the Samsung. In this category, I prefer Samsung over Panasonic. The Samsung PN43D450 has recently been on sale from $419-$479, and the LG version has been available at $399. If you don't go with the 42ST30, the 43D450 would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
I'm wondering why the OP is skipping the S30 as a bedroom TV. The Panny S30 are my go to for TV's in a bedroom.
The S30 is a big step down in picture quality from the ST30. It has an inferior plasma panel, inferior AR Filter, inferior black levels, inferior colors, inferior moving resolution, inferior processing, inferior settings menus, etc. The S30 should not even exist, especially considering that it's only about a hundred bucks less than the much more superior ST30.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.