AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an LCD for my bedroom. I am hoping to get away without another HD box, and just want to connect the cable feed directly to the tv. The CRT in there now gets about 60 channels which is plenty, but I'm hoping to also pick up the local HD channels. I have Comcast cable in Massachusetts.

I would like to spend under $600 and get something in the 26"-32" range. Most important to me is having a quality tuner to pick up all available content. I am leaning towards getting a 26" LCD/DVD combo rather than a 32", but I am open to suggestions. I've got about $200 in BestBuy giftcards so hopefully I can pick something up from there.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I bought a toshiba 37hl17 for our bedroom. The qam tuner seems to work pretty well. I'm guessing the tuners in most tvs these days is more or less equivalent, especially for qam.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derek K. thanks for the input. I have heard that Toshiba's QAM is pretty good, but some other brands seem to be hit or miss.

Anybody have a good recommendation for a sub $600 bedroom tv?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned a 20" Vizio for about a year and its QAM tuner has worked flawlessly on Comcast. By contrast, I brought home two different samples of Samsung's 4061F and neither tuner has worked correctly on the same cable connection. I wish I knew of a way to preview QAM performance.

Unfortunately, Vizio does not make a 1080p set in less than 42" size, AFAIK, but if 720p is adequate for you, I believe their 32" is near your target.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Bayley. BestBuy doesn't carry Visio, but I checked the 32" set out at BJ's and it looked nice. They had it for $599 which is pretty good. if only they'd take my BB giftcards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts