AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy new video card for htpc and wondering which one to get. I do want 7.1 through hdmi, and possibly an optical on the card (not sure if this is possible)?

Reason being my current receiver doesn't do hdmi audio but I'm getting one in the near future that does, so now my audio is through optical but in the future it will be through hdmi.

But new video card that does blu ray, hd-dvd, and if possible dvxa of mkv's. Thanks for any suggestions.

p.s. looking for cheapest possible soution

·
Registered
81 Posts
ATI 4xxx will do you just fine. You'll still need to use optical off the soundcard till you get the HDMI audio but it'll take care of your audio and video in a nice convenient package.

Jason

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalDee /forum/post/17038752

Yeah the ATI 4XXX series will do it but if you want LPCM over HDMI then you will want a 4850 or 4870.

LPCM works on all the 4xxx cards I have a 4670 and it works just fine. Unless you are going to play games, a 48xx is a bit of overkill.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If i'm playing an mkv with dts out, should I be seeing DTS on the panel of the receiver (2809), because it looks like the processing is done beforehand and it's sending it in multichannel (LPCM). Is there a way to get the audio stream sent unprocessed so that I can do the processing on the receiver. I'm using a 4670 hdmi with MPC home cinema and coreav codecs.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I would stick with any card that has "native" HDMI. The whole DVI-to-HDMI adapter is a little hit and miss. Why take chances? I use the Gigabyte 4670 with no issues out of the box and no adapter needed.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree with Micky and to add to that the 43xx line is very low powered and will surely choke on deinterlacing 1080 content. Stick with the 48xx, 47xx and 46xx lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot /forum/post/17039462

so
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131143

should do the trick? i dont see where it says if lpmc is supported.

or i just found
http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0304472

for 10$ more in store, but no built in hdmi but should be able to buy dvi->hdmi adapter for it right?

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest /forum/post/17044913

lpcm is the highest quality available? what do guys refer to when u say audio bitstreamed?

All things been equal, LPCM and bitstream are the same quality but the difference is that with LPCM the player decodes the audio while bitstream sends the audio unprocessed to the receiver to decode. So, LPCM=player decodes, bitstream=receiver decodes.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora /forum/post/17044932

All things been equal, LPCM and bitstream are the same quality but the difference is that with LPCM the player decodes the audio while bitstream sends the audio unprocessed to the receiver to decode. So, LPCM=player decodes, bitstream=receiver decodes.

I see , and would it be possible for a video card/audio card to work with both bitstream and lpcm?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest /forum/post/17044968

I see , and would it be possible for a video card/audio card to work with both bitstream and lpcm?

Yes, if all PAP limitations are met. There is a reason why there is not more bitstream audio cards out yet. PAP is a bag of hurt (to quote Steve Jobs with his feelings towards Blu-ray).

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora /forum/post/17044992

Yes, if all PAP limitations are met. There is a reason why there is not more bitstream audio cards out yet. PAP is a bag of hurt (to quote Steve Jobs with his feelings towards Blu-ray).

i cant believe mac doesnt offer support for blu-ray yet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts