AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I used to be very involved in this community many years ago, when it first got started.  I remember I had over 1,000 posts (back when post count meant something), I used to come here often, I commented and was generally well-respected.  Then, I became satisfied with my gear, relaxed a bit, stopped visiting so often and I have been enjoying my gear ever since.

Things have changed a bit in 10 years.  Wow.  I sold my Classe preamps and amps several years ago for a simpler setup - a B&K Components AVR-507.  I've just come to learn that B&K was bought out by ATI!  I feel like I just woke up from a coma.  I also sold my B&W CDM towers for some Sonus Faber Concertinos and a Solo.  My Sunfire True Sub Mark II finally gave out after several trips back to Sunfire.  They even swapped out all the guts and made her a Mark IV, but the power supply finally gave in and SunFire told me it's time to put her down (14 yrs old).  My 8-yr old 42" 720p plasma is really struggling to keep up with HD and is showing signs of burn-in, so I'm in the market for some changes.  Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Keep my B&K AVR-507.  She's still running well and has plenty of oomph left in her.

2. Sell my Sonus Faber Concertinos and Solo (currently on sale) and buy a passive L/C/R to mount underneath a new LED TV.

3. Keep my Monitor Audio Radius 90s for the rear surrounds.

4. Retire the plasma and get a Samsung 7100, 60".

5. Get an HSU VT-F MK4 subwoofer.

6. Get rid of digital cable and go OTA HD with a TiVo setup.

Are Blue Jean cables still around?  I'm thinking I'll need a few long runs for some stuff and they were always reasonably priced and had great quality.

I'm struggling with the LCR.  My new home no longer has a media room, so I need to use the family/great room, but have limited space and can only put speakers on the mantle above the fireplace.  My options are small satellites, or a single LCR.  I don't think there's much of a difference between a good LCR and small satellites placed close to each other, so I'd rather have the cosmetically-pleasing single-LCR speaker, than three small satellites sitting two feet next to each other.

Any thoughts?  Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,

Alex

1 - 1 of 1 Posts