AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Haven't been on in years. Wondering if it's a reasonable time to upgrade my front projection.

I'm looking for a big leap - if it's not there yet, I'm fine waiting for better laser beams or what have you.

Currently:
Epson 5030
133" 16:9 Draper Gray 1.0 Screen
Basement, fully light controlled but with light ceiling/walls/carpet (wife has vetoed velvet bat cave).
Seating distance: 14 ft - could move closer

Budget: $3k-10k, could spring for an RS4500 as well, but seems like sort of diminishing returns at that point? Looking for input.

Usage: Movies in the dark. No games/tv/sports.

Source: Nvidia shield for plex and streaming apps. Old oppo 103. Fine buying a new source if I need it. Not interested in HTPC.

Research so far: seems like the NX5 is the best bet? Will this provide a "wow look at that" kind of upgrade over the 5030? I'd consider the 6050 too, although I don't upgrade often so it seems like getting a native 4k projector makes sense. My major complaint about my current 5030 is that it can look a little "dim" in dark scenes and hard to see what is going in dark movies. I'm not super educated about all this, but it seems like I have a contrast problem, not a brightness problem? Really bright scenes look great on the 5030. Everyone raves about the JVCs for blacks and contrast, but when I watch comparisons online of an nx5 vs say a 6050, the epson often looks brighter and "easier" to see. Obviously recordings of front projection have issues versus what is visible in person. Have not been able to arrange a demo in person yet (thanks covid).

Thanks for any input, got great advice from this forum back in 2013.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved from the Epson and have a similar screen/room and went to an NX-7 (was planning on NX-5 like you but availability/price dictated NX-7, would have had to wait 2 months for NX-5 for cost difference of <1K).

I think the difference is absolutely a big leap. I think the NX-7 looks amazing. HDR is great. I use Apple TV 4K and Xbox Series X as sources. I suspect the NX-5 would look incredible in your setup and would be a huge step-up.

I was initially reluctant because it seemed like the NX series had been out a while and may be something better would come out but the more I thought about it, I am not convinced HDMI 2.1 adds a whole lot even though I have an Xbox Series X. In any case my AV receiver does not support HDMI 2.1 so I'd have to replace a lot of hardware to get the new gaming features even assuming a new projector supports these things (VRR, VLLM etc). If you're only watching movies, HDMI 2.1 is a moot point. The DTM for HDR works far better than I would have hoped. I think it looks better than what my Samsung Frame can throw down even independent of screen size and I honestly don't think people with OLEDs would scoff at the contrast when it's lighting up a 130'' screen. I have absolutely 0 regrets about upgrading, although ask me again in a couple years maybe haha.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
As much as I love my 6050 I know that the future is HDR and as good as it with the Epson I know that JVC’s DMT frame by frame is superior and then you factor in the JVC is native 4K and has further enhanced things with Theatre Optimiser at present it’s the one that’s most future proof and if you have the cash it would be the one to go for.

Reactions: Azekecse

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
My opinion; no matter which projector you pick, I'd be looking at changing over screen material.

Due to lighter, more reflective surroundings; I think the benefits of the NX7 would be lost in your room and I'd venture to say the same in regards to the 4500.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My opinion; no matter which projector you pick, I'd be looking at changing over screen material.

Due to lighter, more reflective surroundings; I think the benefits of the NX7 would be lost in your room and I'd venture to say the same in regards to the 4500.
Yeah I can't remember now, but there was a reason we chose it at the time (although maybe not a good one).

Recommendations? Higher gain?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Higher gain screen alone may be your best bet
if you lean towards wanting a brighter image.
That said...Personally I prefer single chip DLP imaging over LCD or LCOS b/c of the brightness pop, motion, detail and clarity.
Black levels are not as good, but are the same as a commercial movie theatre, so more than acceptable (unless you’re chasing infinite black level).
Something about solid state illumination is very compelling.
Two DLP’s you might check out are the Optoma UHZ65LV Laser
Or
Benq HT9060 LED (just ceased production, so could be hard to find. I got mine refurbished and saved a boatload.)
HT9060 CinePro Series with 4K, DCI-P3 Pro Cinema Projector
Good luck! 🍀

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I had the 5030 and went for the JVC X790 due to the superior blacks (even better than the new NX series) and the fact that I already use an HTPC with madVR. The difference in contrast alone is impressive.

From what you've described, I'd first recommend painting the walls and ceiling a dark color about 6-8 feet out from the screen. I'd then recommend a good white screen and complementing it with the JVC NX7 for the dynamic tone mapping.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the grey screen, the upcoming LG CineBeam HU810P dual lazer projector looks promising. Reviews should be dropping for it over the next few weeks.

Reactions: DoctorCyclops

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the 5030 and went for the JVC X790 due to the superior blacks (even better than the new NX series) and the fact that I already use an HTPC with madVR. The difference in contrast alone is impressive.

From what you've described, I'd first recommend painting the walls and ceiling a dark color about 6-8 feet out from the screen. I'd then recommend a good white screen and complementing it with the JVC NX7 for the dynamic tone mapping.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the grey screen, the upcoming LG CineBeam HU810P dual lazer projector looks promising. Reviews should be dropping for it over the next few weeks.
Yeah, wife is just not going to allow painting the walls/ceiling. This in a basement that is fully light controlled but is very much a part of the living space.

Staying with light colored walls, am I better off with a gray screen for reflections? Or white still be better assuming there is no ambient light, just projector reflected light.

Reading up on the LG, doesn't seem like it's going to be leaps and bounds better than say a 5050, aside form being non-eshift 4k and laser light source given that it's from the DLP family.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Yeah, wife is just not going to allow painting the walls/ceiling. This in a basement that is fully light controlled but is very much a part of the living space.

Staying with light colored walls, am I better off with a gray screen for reflections? Or white still be better assuming there is no ambient light, just projector reflected light.

Reading up on the LG, doesn't seem like it's going to be leaps and bounds better than say a 5050, aside form being non-eshift 4k and laser light source given that it's from the DLP family.
What about dark drapes/curtains on the side walls near the projector? When you get the new projector, try it out with the grey screen. If you're satisfied, call it a day. If not, try dark curtains/drapes on the sides. If she doesn't want that you may need to get an ALR screen. A light controlled room isn't really a light controlled room if ambient light reflections are not under control imho.

·
Registered
266 Posts

In a room with bright or light walls and ceiling, I totally agree with the concept of trying to darken the area near the screen. Use of black curtains behind the screen and on the side walls that can be opened and closed and black cloth on the ceiling will dramatically improve the contrast and my even allow the use of the same screen.

I ultimately went with the NX-9 due to the lens assembly over the Sony 885 and the Epson units. I have owned Marantz, Sony and Epson but the NX-9 (and probably the NX5&7) is by far the best projector I have purchased. I must say if you own a Epson or Sony, you really have not seen black on your projector screen yet. I am still amazed at the unit after about 6 months with it. I know the newer Sony 4k projectors claim to have good black levels but comparing the 885 to the NX9, I think the JVC still has better black levels and contrast. My opinion only.

·
Registered
266 Posts
In a room with bright or light walls and ceiling, I totally agree with the concept of trying to darken the area near the screen. Use of black curtains behind the screen and on the side walls that can be opened and closed and black cloth on the ceiling will dramatically improve the contrast and my even allow the use of the same screen.

I ultimately went with the NX-9 due to the lens assembly over the Sony 885 and the Epson units. I have owned Marantz, Sony and Epson but the NX-9 (and probably the NX5&7) is by far the best projector I have purchased. I must say if you own a Epson or Sony, you really have not seen black on your projector screen yet. I am still amazed at the unit after about 6 months with it. I know the newer Sony 4k projectors claim to have good black levels but comparing the 885 to the NX9, I think the JVC still has better black levels and contrast. My opinion only.
IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1429.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I think the difference is absolutely a big leap. I think the NX-7 looks amazing. HDR is great. I use Apple TV 4K and Xbox Series X as sources. I suspect the NX-5 would look incredible in your setup and would be a huge step-up.

I was initially reluctant because it seemed like the NX series had been out a while and may be something better would come out but the more I thought about it, I am not convinced HDMI 2.1 adds a whole lot even though I have an Xbox Series X. In any case my AV receiver does not support HDMI 2.1 so I'd have to replace a lot of hardware to get the new gaming features even assuming a new projector supports these things (VRR, VLLM etc).
Can you game at the lowest latency of the NX projectors which is 37 ms? That seems high for gaming. I also have an Xbox Series X but I don't think I could use this projector for gaming, I also am looking to upgrade from an Epson 5040UBE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't play a lot of FPS and honestly haven't been doing a lot of multiplayer gaming so I can't speak to the exact amount of latency in terms of frames. I'm fairly sensitive (used to be a pretty decent Smash player) and haven't really felt any problems with input delay playing smash on the switch.

I will say it feels incredible to game in Atmos on this projector. I've played a lot of Cyberpunk, despite the warts of all the bugs it looks and feels great on a Series X. My advice is not to worry so much about paper problems unless you feel them in reality, because the benefits of the massive screen and presumably a good soundsystem are obvious immense. Yes, it's not going to be a gaming monitor on a gaming rig with a 120 Hz refresh rate, but I'm not looking to win Evolution or go pro and I have a great time in my theater playing games, much better than playing on my PC. I probably spend 10x more time playing games vs. watching movies in the theater and I've been very satisfied with the NX7, your mileage may vary if you're more serious about multiplayer or FPS but "not meaningfully worse in terms of frame rates or lag vs. other TVs I've had" would be my overall take.

Can you game at the lowest latency of the NX projectors which is 37 ms? That seems high for gaming. I also have an Xbox Series X but I don't think I could use this projector for gaming, I also am looking to upgrade from an Epson 5040UBE.

·
Registered
30,248 Posts
The 5040UB has 31ms lag. Not sure the 5040UBE is as good. But you are not going to tell the difference between 31ms and 37ms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts