AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for speakers today, not even because I want to buy some but because I was in the mood lol.

Anyway. I was just curious. Looking at the polk site, did their "what do you want from your speaker" thing and their recommendation was.

R20 Front L/R

CSi20 Center

R15 Surrounds

I was just wondering if it is better to go with a speaker built as a center chan, or one more R20 to use as the center since it will be the same sound as the front L/R to a "T". In that case why not use R20's all around... Or any of the same model speaker all around?

This is really just a general question. I am not in any rush, just something I was wondering about.

Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm not familiar with those Polks and center channel speakers can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another. Some center channels carry dual tweeters for dialog clarity. Speakers that may sound good for music can sound very dark and muddied on dialog and can make listening to speech in movies a chore.

For multi-channel music identical speakers all around is ideal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a polk setup something like what you mention.

Front - Polk R30's

Center - Polk CSi20

Surround - Polk R15

Rear Surround - Polk R15

Sub - Polk PSW250

I am very happy with my set up, for the price the polk speakers are very good. I belive that the R30 is very similar to the R20 except the R30 is floor standing. The CSi20 is matched to the R15, R20, R30 and R50 speakers, so no need to worry there. I also thought of using the R20's for the surround speakers, until I realized how big they were (over 12" deep) I am mounting to walls so I used the smaller R15's, and my wife gave me a hard time about those (8" deep) until she heard them. For the money I think they are a great set of speakers, total cost for mine was under $600 (including wires), as I picked them up over time when they went on sale at Circuit city and the Wiz. If you were looking for something a little cheaper Best Buy carries a line of KLH speakers (I don't have model #'s on hand) that are also good value for the money.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.