AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I used to have a theater in the home I lived in with a few friends. It was all done up, and very cool (stadium seating decorations the whole deal). I used to throw on an 80" screen at a 9.5' viewing distance (front row). I would have gone bigger, but the first projector was a 4805. I then upgraded to a Mits HC3000. I really liked that projector, but when I moved from that location I sold it to a friend with the screen. I've now been without an HT set up for a bit over a year.

I'm moving into an apartment now where I'll be able to get a descent set up going again, with a very modest pull down screen. I'll choose which screen after I decide on the projector, but I don't want to spend more than $250 on that. Initially I thought I was going to get something in the range of a Panasonic 3000 or Epson 6500 but I think I want to try and keep it on a budget now. I never seem to keep projectors long, and I don't think I want to make a big investment until I purchase a home (hopefully in the next couple of years).

I don't have a set budget, but as low as possible with 1080p and performance that will exceed that of my old Mits in terms of black level. Brightness is not a huge concern as the room will be able to be fairly light controlled. My viewing distance will once again be about 9.5' and I'm thinking a 92" screen. The projector throw will be about 10.5-11.5'. I've been casually following projectors over the past year, but have been doing more research over the past couple of days.

It seems the Sanyo Z3000 is a great bang for your buck, giving you performance close to (but just short) of the other projectors I've just mentioned. What price can I expect to pay for one of these now if I buy from the right place (pm suggestions)? I think that would be the high side of my budget. I'm intrigued by the new crop of sub $1000 DLP's (as that's all I've owned) especially the Optoma HD20 which I've seen some impressive screen caps of and really positive reports on very early. I'm also interested in the Viewsonic Pro8100 as something that started as a $5,000 piece and is now selling for it seems $1300.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. However, please don't turn this into an LCD vs. DLP thing. I think each technology has its merits, and I'm personally open to either. Whatever will give me the clearest picture, with good blacks and color for the least amount of money I could care less which technology.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I ordered the Pro8100, it should be here tomorrow. I believe that it will be a real bargain, based on all the reviews I've read. Where else can you get 1080P/24, powered lens shift, powered focus and zoom, HQV processing, quiet operation, and good brightness for $1299?

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Just upgraded to the HC3000 and with a new bulb I have to say it looks outstanding! I have $500 invested .. seems like you are asking to spend as little as possible, why not get what you know you like! Start looking for a used HC3000.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/17028824

Just upgraded to the HC3000 and with a new bulb I have to say it looks outstanding! I have $500 invested .. seems like you are asking to spend as little as possible, why not get what you know you like! Start looking for a used HC3000.

Because I'm looking for an upgrade. That's a great unit, congrats you will enjoy it very much, but I'm looking for something better.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/17028700

I ordered the Pro8100, it should be here tomorrow. I believe that it will be a real bargain, based on all the reviews I've read. Where else can you get 1080P/24, powered lens shift, powered focus and zoom, HQV processing, quiet operation, and good brightness for $1299?

It has an impressive feature list, which is why I'm interested in this one. I'm a bit concerned about the black level and shadow detail from some of the things I've heard. I'm looking forward to your report though, what have you owned previously?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I started off with an Optoma H31, a sweet little DLP. Upgraded to 720P with an Epson HC400, which I'm still using. The Pro8100 will be an upgrade in all aspects to my Epson, so I'm sure I'll be pleased. I went back and forth on black level, looking at the Sanyo Z3000 versus the Viewsonic. In the end I think the greater brightness of the Pro8100, combined with all the extra features AND the lower price make it the one for me. Remember one thing about the ultra high contrast PJs, they really need a batcave to show off that extra contrast. My room has light colored walls and a white ceiling, I'd be wasting much of the contrast advantage anyway. Of course, if I could have picked up a Panasonic AE3000 for $1299 I certainly would have. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. If you don't mind my asking what was the lowest price you saw on the Sanyo in your search?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just ordered the Viewsonic Pro8100 too! I can't wait to test it out.

The shadow detail on the Viewsonic is excellent and the blacks are respectable as Art from Projectorreviews said. He also said that the black levels are comparable to the Infocus In82. And a member here said that he returned his Epson 6100 and kept the Viewsonic because he liked the picture quality on it better.

What I figure, it got pretty good reviews when it was 5000$, for 1299$ I think it's a steal.

That's just my 0.02$, this projecor fit my budget. Would I have liked a JVC instead ? Sure! But near that price range I don't think you'll find better.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK what's the deal with the Infocus X10? It doesn't seem to get a lot of hype on here or great reviews. However, those who own in love it, and either everyone who takes a screen shot of it is a fantastic photographer or it really does look very good. Even the screen shots on Art's review (luke warm) look pretty amazing in terms of color and sharpness. Anyone seen this in person compared to some of the other projectors mention on this thread?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass /forum/post/17034796

OK what's the deal with the Infocus X10? It doesn't seem to get a lot of hype on here or great reviews. However, those who own in love it, and either everyone who takes a screen shot of it is a fantastic photographer or it really does look very good. Even the screen shots on Art's review (luke warm) look pretty amazing in terms of color and sharpness. Anyone seen this in person compared to some of the other projectors mention on this thread?

It's got all the usual DLP issues with placement, fan noise, and heat. If you think DLPs have a more filmlike look and can deal with the requirements then I'm sure it will throw a great image. IMO, having owned both DLP and LCD, the LCDs have caught up (or surpassed) DLPs in image quality, and leave them far behind in terms of features.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think placement will be an issue. I can be a little bit flexible. I used to work in a/v sales and was involved in a lot of installations and I always seemed to find a way to be creative with placement and make a DLP work (with very rare exception). I'm not sold on either tech, as I said, I'm just looking at each unit on its own merit. The screen shots I've seen for the X10 just look darn impressive, more so than any of the others i've seen in this price range. I know you can't tell everything from screen shots, but like I mentioned it's consistent across the board so this makes me curious. Wondering if anyone can chime in who's seen the X10 as well as some of the others on this list. Before today the Viewsonic was solidly in the lead in my mind, but I'm having questions now...

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
My Viewsonic arrived today, I won't be able to get it up and running until probably Monday. You're right about screenshots, it's tough to tell. I looked briefly at the X10, but I just can't go back to letting the PJ dictate where everything needs to be. I'm hoping this new PJ is as quiet as the reviews say, I'm sure image wise it will be a big improvement. The powered zoom/focus/lens shift is just icing on the cake!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great, glad to hear yours is in! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Post a link to the thread you report them in if you could

·
Registered
549 Posts
Also....if you're not aware. If you buy through bing's cashback you can save more money.

J&R has the best deal today with free shipping but they are out of stock. Tiger Direct is usually the best for this projector. Just go to Bing.com and search tiger direct. Usually, at the top of the search page, there will be a link to tiger direct with 12.5% cashback from bing. You have to get a bing cashback membership 1st but you will get the cashback from microsoft's bing cashback in about 60 days.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well at this point I'm looking to make a purchase in the next week. I'm heavily leaning towards the Viewsonic... the only other one that's in my head I think is the X10. I've owned Infocus before, sold them before, and I always loved them. The quality of the Optoma has me concerned, and the Vivitek and Benq still seem a few weeks off.

I think the placement flexibility on the VS will be a nice plus, and it is chocked full of features for this price point. My only reservation is reports on less than stellar blacks...has anyone seen this and a Mits HC3000? I would love to know if they are better than that unit. I was always impressed with the blacks on the 3000 and if they are better than that, then there are no worries in my mind.

I could make the X10 work placement wise, and as I've mentioned before, all the screen shots look absolutely amazing. Is there anyone out there who has seen this and the VS? I would love to get some honest feedback from someone who has actually seen both units.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get in touch with Art from projectorreviews.com personally? I've always enjoyed his reviews, and I know he's seen all of the units I've mentioned here.

Once again thanks to anyone who can help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts