AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I was looking to get an HDMI card to bit stream HD audio. Right around the same time the Asus HDAV and Auzentech devices came out which were the only options.

My In-Laws need ideas for what to get me for X-Mas and was going to ask for the Asus HDAV until a friend told me there are now other options.

Just looking for recommendations and the current offerings for a video/audio card that can pass-through HD audio to my home theatre receiver.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not sure what the latest crop of cards are as I haven't been keeping up for the last year or so. But I do know the ati 5750 series of vid cards are very good and will bitsteam HD audio. I have one (though don't bitstream) works like a charm.

plus the cards are pretty reasonably priced. this is from a canadian site:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...1%28ME%29.aspx

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkEyez95 /forum/post/19617623

A few years back I was looking to get an HDMI card to bit stream HD audio. Right around the same time the Asus HDAV and Auzentech devices came out which were the only options.

My In-Laws need ideas for what to get me for X-Mas and was going to ask for the Asus HDAV until a friend told me there are now other options.

Just looking for recommendations and the current offerings for a video/audio card that can pass-through HD audio to my home theatre receiver.

All ATI/AMD 5XXX series video cards can bitstream HD audio, the 6XXX series can bitstream and handle 3D TV (at least the ones released so far).

Not all the 4XX series nvidia cards can bitstream though, I know the 460 can. Perhaps someone else can give help with this (working Nvidia models).

I also believe the clarkdale architecture can bitstream HD audio.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkEyez95 /forum/post/19617775

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Still not sure how to tell by reading specs for devices if whether or not it will bitstream the audio.

I would go so far as saying anything new coming out of either Nvidia (after the GTX 460) or AMD will support bitstreaming, but some of the lower level cards won't support 3D because it requires a certain amount of processing power (unless you have a CPU grunty enough to do it).

What devices are you looking at?

Easy way to find out is to check reviews at anandtech, tomshardware etc:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/4

·
Registered
339 Posts
After a little more research..

For nvidia:

Anything based on the GF100 core will do 7.1 LPCM but not bitstreaming (this includes the GTX465, 470 and 480).

Anything based on the GF106 core (GTX 460, GTS 450, GT430, and GT420) appears to bitstream. you'll need to check which ones are 3D capable.

Anything based on the GF110 core (currently the GTX580 and 570) will also bitstream.

for AMD:

Anything 5XXX series (5850, 5670, 5450 etc) or 6XXX series (6850, 6870 currently) will bitstream. Only the 6XXXX series will do proper 3D.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkEyez95

Anything from the HD5000 series is good since they have been around for a while now and their issues are well documented as well as ironed out. Also, the entire line up is out while the low-end HD6000 series are not out yet.

The most recommended card is the ATI HD5450; its generally the cheapest, sometimes going as low as $20.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts