AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I've made a lot of progress, unfortunately, its pretty boring progress. Installing baseboards, filling nail holes, painting, cutting in trim. I have ordered the stone for the bar island and it should be here in 2-3 weeks. I put a test coat of stain on the inside of one of the closet doors and I'm pretty happy with it, so I built myself a temporary make shift stain booth that will hopefully speed up the process.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I'm getting close to being able to have the pool table moved! I built the light fixture that will go over the pool table. I was able to build it for 1/3 the cost of what the Etsy seller was asking. It weighs about 50 lbs. Fortunately during my build I put a ceiling fan box in this location that is capable of holding a 210 lb static load. The only thing I would have done different would be to use a 5" and 3" piece of pipe instead of 4" and 4" on the 2 lights that sit higher than the other 4 lights. That would have centered them a bit better between the lower lights.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The sockets I used have a rubber housing that is just the right size to screw in to a 1.25" coupling and the rubber creates a friction seal with the coupling threads. Internally I used 14 guage solid wire. Life would have probably been easier if I had used stranded though. I connected 4 sockets in series, so thats why you see 2 sets of wires coming out of the top.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-Socket/3958895

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I had to cancel my ice maker order b/c it was on quality hold indefinitely. I found a comprable model for a bit less and it was delivered yesterday. I also called the store where I bought the stone for the bar to see if my order had arrived. It did...over a week ago. Kind of frustrating, but atleast I can get the stone up this weekend.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
My friend and I got the stone installed today. I used Eldorado's Sierra Mountain Ledge. I bought an extra box b/c I wanted to make sure I had enough selection of stone sizes, but I ended up with to full boxes left over (guess I missed the mark measuring what I needed in the first place). It made picking stones to fit small place easy and we had to cut very little. Seeing this done REALLY makes me want to see the rest of the bar finished.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This all looks really good. How do you like the LVT? We are in a colder climate and wondering if it will be enough to have just the LVT on the basement floor - the underlayment would give a bit of a thermal break though, I suppose.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This all looks really good. How do you like the LVT? We are in a colder climate and wondering if it will be enough to have just the LVT on the basement floor - the underlayment would give a bit of a thermal break though, I suppose.
I love the LVT. It is very easy to clean. I have spilt small bits of paint on it and mortar while doing the stone and it all cleaned up very easily. My only complaint is that it doesn't give, so walking barefoot on it can be a bit bothersome, but its no different than walking on the patio around the pool barefoot.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I was able to get the substrate installed for the pour in place counter tops. They recommend concrete backer board, but I confirmed with the company that I can use plywood as long as I seal the plywood to prevent water intrusion from the concrete. I figured this would make life easier when it came to cutting holes for everything. I also used some spare wood to mock up the bar top. I'm glad I did, because now I realize I need to make the bar top deep than I had planned.

I also got most of the tap tower put together.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Lookin good. Will be excited to see what you think of the concrete tops. I'm considering it for an outside project :)
Any update on the countertop pour?

I'm about a week out from doing approximately 60 Sq Ft of countertop pour in my basement rebuild. Waiting on plastercizer to show up and I'll have all my materials.

Are you using a prebagged countertop mix or rolling your own recipe? Adding pigments or staining later? Are you doing a cast in place or precast?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Any update on the countertop pour?

I'm about a week out from doing approximately 60 Sq Ft of countertop pour in my basement rebuild. Waiting on plastercizer to show up and I'll have all my materials.

Are you using a prebagged countertop mix or rolling your own recipe? Adding pigments or staining later? Are you doing a cast in place or precast?
Nothing new on the counters themselves. I'm waiting for my custom drip tray to arrive before I can get that started. I am doing pour in place using https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com/ products. Including their liqui-crete additive. I'll be staining after the fact if I don't like the color. Otherwise, I'm just going to seal it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Talk about when plumbing goes wrong... The first under sink pump I bought required there to be 1-3" in the sink basin to activate the pressure switch. That just wasn't going to cut it. I have a dish washer, glass rinser and ice maker that need to drain in addition to the sink. I found a better pump that will work as soon as water gets in to the pump. To set the pump flow, there is a 1/4 turn ball valve that you adjust so the pump doesn't cycle frequently, but also so that the sink drains fast enough. To do this, you're supposed to fill sink with water and open the valve. Remove the sink stopper and let the water drain...well my dumbace self for got that I have a connection for the dish washer that wasn't connected. Water followed the path of least resistance and flowed right out and in to the cabinet. I really though the pump would pick up quicker... After that is all cleaned up, i noticed that drain side I built had a slight leaky drip on the wrong side of the check-valve and ball valve. The only think to do is to drill a small hole, let it all drain out and then cut it out and replace it. I drilled the hole too big and didn't have a container big enough to catch it all. I underestimate how much water made it in. On top of all this the water mixed with some nastyness in the lines, so it isnt 100% clean. The next drainage section I installed has unions on BOTH ends for quick removal. Nevertheless, I have cleaned my first load of dish and have a working ice maker!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Nothing new on the counters themselves. I'm waiting for my custom drip tray to arrive before I can get that started. I am doing pour in place using https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com/ products. Including their liqui-crete additive. I'll be staining after the fact if I don't like the color. Otherwise, I'm just going to seal it.
I used the same stuff when I did my bar, and it was awesome! My only word of advice is make sure you have plenty of the liqui-crete! I ran out with just a little bit left to pour and it pretty much ruined my top. After months of work I was able to save it, but the original pour where we had it mixed properly with the liqui-crete was so much nicer. That additive makes it pour and finish extremely well. Ill be looking forward to seeing yours go in.

Sean

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Best buy had some good sales, so I picked up a cheap 55" to go outside and a Pioneer SC-95 to run my theater. That's probably going to push back the counter top project.

I did manage to get my sconces in though. I'm not sure if the bulbs will be too reflective during movie watching, but i'll cross that bridge when I com to it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I used the same stuff when I did my bar, and it was awesome! My only word of advice is make sure you have plenty of the liqui-crete! I ran out with just a little bit left to pour and it pretty much ruined my top. After months of work I was able to save it, but the original pour where we had it mixed properly with the liqui-crete was so much nicer. That additive makes it pour and finish extremely well. Ill be looking forward to seeing yours go in.

Sean
Thanks for that advice!

I was trying to calculate how much I would need and thought I would just buy a bit extra. Where did you mix? 5 Gallon buckets? How many did you use to keep the flow of liqui-crete coming?

41 - 60 of 247 Posts