AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am after this since 2 -3 weeks now, i have done significant research now, however i am not experience as you people. so need some advice before i start buying parts. i also have few doubts on my selection.

The HTPC will only be strictly used as HTPC but nothing else.

The HTPC will be connected to a 42" Full HD Plasma [Panasonic 42py800]

For Sound, HTPC will be connected to my Yamaha RX-V657 amp via digital optical or coaxal for 5.1+ effects

Will be Running XP PRO SP2 as an OS unless Vista is giving anymore functions related to HTPC.

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 or

AMD Phenom 8450

Motherboard

Microstar P35 NEO ATX or

Asustek P5K Intel

P35

Case

Silverstone LC17 Black

PSU

Silverstone ST50F 500W

HDD

Western Digital 7200rpm 750GB SATA or

2 X 320GB SATA

Graphic Card

GeForce 9600 GT, 512MB PCI-Express or

ATI Radeon HD 3870

512MB

RAM

Corsair Dominator XMS2 2Gb DDR2-1066 PC8500

Sound Card

Not decided

Tuner Card

Hauppauge HVR3000 or

Hauppauge

HVR2200

Keyboard/Mouse

Microsoft OEM Remote Keyboard MCE

or the mini Divio edge from logitech

Right, now i spent half of the time researching about what graphics cards since few cards did not support h.264 hardware acceleration and were not HDCP complaint. please correct me if iam wrong about the selections. or suggest me anything better.

I am not sure if i have selected the right motherboards. personally i would like to stay with Asustek and MSI if possible. the two MUSTS in the motherboards are 2 PCI express slots. since the tuner card and graphic card will both use that bus. Onboard HD 7.1 sound might do, depending on how big difference i will have by putting a Auzentech 7.1. if its not very essential to enjoy DTS, dolby, then i will stick to the onboard.

As a tuner card i see HVR2200 is very hard to get due to the popularity, i still dont know why its so popular?. HVR3000 is the same isnt it?. since HVR2200 is discontinued by supplier?. please advice me on this? are there any compatibility issues with MCE, MediaPortal GBPVR?. This part has to be very reliable because schedule and one touch recording is the main for purpose of this HTPC.

For memory i think 2gb DDR2 is enogh isnt it?.

for HDD i thought 750GB will be enough. the doubt was whether i should i have 2 X 320 or 1 single big capacity HDD? any performance difference over each other?.

As a keyboard i like the MCE edition keyboard because of the jog on it which can be used as mouse. although its very hard for a new user to get used to. how is the new mini dvino btw? anyone here used it?.

i dont want to AMD vs Intel but i just wanted a CPU which which is worth. my budget on CPU is $190 ish. because the motherboard will change depending on the choice here.

As a case LC17 is very cheap, looks good too. anyone faced any problems with it so far?

----------------------------------------------------

OK i think i have talked enough. Please guys please let me know if i have chosen anything wrong, also let me know if something is a overkill(too much for a htpc).

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumdigger /forum/post/14170082

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 or

AMD Phenom 8450

I think the intel has the edge with performance in general, but i like the Phenom's better, especially if you're going to be doing blu-ray/hddvd/1080i/p because of the big HT bus.

I got my Phenom x3 8650 off ebay new for $120 with free shipping. it was the deal of the century IMHO.

Quote:

Motherboard

Microstar P35 NEO ATX or

Asustek P5K Intel

P35

well, if you're going with a Phenom, none of these board will work since they're all intel-based obviously.

amd/phenom wise my first pick would be the new ASUS m3n78-vm or M3N WS with the Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H board just behind that. These are geforce8200 graphics chipset boards, so since this will be just a HTPC you can forego the graphics card below.

i'm not as up to speed on the P35 boards, but i like the MSI P35 platinum combo.

Quote:

PSU

Silverstone ST50F 500W

depends on what you go with cpu/motherboard wise. if you end up going with the intel cpu/mobo, you'll need the graphics card below and therefore will want 500W, but if you go the amd route with phenom/geforce8200 then you don't need the graphics card and can get away with a 430W or 380W (optical drive in here, yes/no?). seasonic would be my psu choice.

Quote:

HDD

Western Digital 7200rpm 750GB SATA or

2 X 320GB SATA

i would stick with the 750GB, i really dont think raiding or using indepedently 2 drives gets you a whole lot performance wise when it comes to HTPC. if you're looking at mirroring though for safety's sake, then that's a different story.

if you'll be doing any HD stuff though, esp. in 1080i tv recording or ripping your BD/HDDVD, i would definately spring for a 1TB.

Quote:

Graphic Card

GeForce 9600 GT, 512MB PCI-Express or

ATI Radeon HD 3870

512MB

if you're going the intel route, the geforce. otherwise, nothing.

Quote:

RAM

you're fine here unless you foresee yourself doing video editing or a lot of multitasking, in which case go to 4GB (and obviously then to XP 64-bit or vista 64-bit).

Quote:

Sound Card

Not decided

unless you don't have a spdif connector on your motherboard, i don't see you needing this.

Quote:

Tuner Card

Hauppauge HVR3000 or

Hauppauge

HVR2200

i don't think you need the 3000, sounds like a 2250 would be better suited.

Quote:

I am not sure if i have selected the right motherboards. personally i would like to stay with Asustek and MSI if possible. the two MUSTS in the motherboards are 2 PCI express slots. since the tuner card and graphic card will both use that bus. Onboard HD 7.1 sound might do, depending on how big difference i will have by putting a Auzentech 7.1. if its not very essential to enjoy DTS, dolby, then i will stick to the onboard.

if you have spdif on the back of the mobo, use that, otherwise get the auzentech or something comparable. will be way better than the analog 7.1 IMHO.

-Tony

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wats the difference between hvr2200 and 2250

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:

RAM

Overpriced and unnecessary, especially for the Intel CPU, unless you're overclocking and need high FSB tolerance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts