AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in picking up a pair of these, but before I do I would like some input regarding amplification. I am currently running a Yamaha RX-V675 AVR with 90 wpc/2 channels driven.

I was looking at switching to an integrated amp in the 70-80wpc range but after adding DAC the budget starts to get big. Multiple posters in the 2 channel forum insisted I'd be better off staying with my AVR at this and most price ranges, given features such as bass management and built-in DAC.

More than one person suggested that it is a myth that an integrated amp will outperform an AVR for music, although that is contrary to much that I've read and heard.

The question is, am I wasting the potential of these speakers by staying with my AVR? Should I try to sell it and buy and integrated in the $1000 range? That is an expensive prospect if the improvement in SQ won't be drastic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No and no.

The receiver is fine.

You should try Kefs LS50, in my opinion a better option than R100.

Regards,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks.

The R100's are already a budget step-up, I had been looking at in the $500 range. I saw I could get a pair of R100's for under $900 and the review have had me convinced they would blow away anything from the Q300 to the B&W 685 to the PSB Image B6. I can't afford $1200 plus for the LS50's anyway.

I am coming from single driver Klipsch Synergy towers so I wanted to make a marked improvement so the upgrade would be worth it. I just couldn't get excited about the other models I mentioned. One exception is the new B&W 685 S2 which also has my serious consideration, but they are the runner-up at $700/pair.

These R100's are smaller than I wanted to go (part of me still wants to get front ported small towers like the PSB T5) but I listen at low to moderate volumes in small to medium sized spaces so I've been warming up to a pair of bookshelves and a 10" musical sub like an HSU STF-2. My thinking is you need a sub regardless for full range, you may really only need towers in a medium-large room and might find a punchier and less boomy sound from bookshelves.

Since I have pretty much decided to keep my Yamaha receiver for now, does anyone care to comment on my possible speaker choices? Would I be happier with Q300 or 685 s2 bass-wise? I don't know, the R100 has such glowing reviews...

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The R100 is a definite step up from your current Klipsch Synergys. In this range, you have some other good options; take a look at the Ascend Sierra-1 and Philharmonitors. I definitely think bookshelves and a sub is good option, and your Yamaha will work well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'm just really drawn to those R100s, especially in the walnut finish.

Any other comments on the sound signatures and strengths/weaknesses of speaker brands including Kef and others based on my needs?

I am attempting for the first time in years to eliminate the center channel, so I think imaging is important, as I do watch a lot of movies. It is my new understanding that unless you have a large center channel properly spaced from the mains, it can actually screw with imaging and/or sound muffled. In a smaller room like mine, 2.1 could be plenty immersive, I'm hoping.

My usage is about 70/30 music/movies.

For music my tastes include Classic Rock, Jazz, Funk and rhythm-based stuff, vocals, etc. Not into most electronic/house music, techno, metal or modern pop. I do like some hip-hop and some classical but those are the extremes.

A sub is a definite.

Is Kef still a good recommend for me? How do they sound compared to Klipsch and B&W?

Of course I wish I could audition but I don't think it's possible in my area.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberfunny  /t/1523082/before-i-spring-for-a-pair-of-kef-r100#post_24503871

Thanks! I'm just really drawn to those R100s, especially in the walnut finish.

Any other comments on the sound signatures and strengths/weaknesses of speaker brands including Kef and others based on my needs?

I am attempting for the first time in years to eliminate the center channel, so I think imaging is important, as I do watch a lot of movies. It is my new understanding that unless you have a large center channel properly spaced from the mains, it can actually screw with imaging and/or sound muffled. In a smaller room like mine, 2.1 could be plenty immersive, I'm hoping.

My usage is about 70/30 music/movies.

For music my tastes include Classic Rock, Jazz, Funk and rhythm-based stuff, vocals, etc. Not into most electronic/house music, techno, metal or modern pop. I do like some hip-hop and some classical but those are the extremes.

A sub is a definite.

Is Kef still a good recommend for me? How do they sound compared to Klipsch and B&W?

Of course I wish I could audition but I don't think it's possible in my area.

Klipsch is the most different sounding of the three, the compression drivers are more forward than a typical soft dome tweeter, and to some people this can sound harsh and fatiguing. I would recommend listening to some Klipsch speakers at a Best Buy Magnolia to see if you like that sound. B&W are more laid back compared the Klipsch, and they sound good, I prefer KEF of the three. I have only heard the Q series, but I really enjoyed them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

I have had Klipsch Synergy speakers for years and always liked their sound, but the treble was a bit harsh for jazz horns and so forth. I suspect the RB-61 ii would have some improved performance, but I am intrigued by making a more drastic change in favor of musical performance to make the upgrade worthwhile. I'm concerned that the Klipsch just won't be enough of a move to be worth the dough, and thought it would be fun to try a new make.

I have heard that the B&Ws are laid-back and warm sounding. Would the Kef house sound fall somewhere in between the bright crispy Klipsch and the buttery laid-back B&W?

Also up for consideration are PSB Image B6 or the cheaper Polk RTi A3, all with a sub added........unless I scrap it all and go for a small floorstander, but those would have to be front-ported this time around.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else want to weigh in on Kef R100 as my choice in the $1000 range?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberfunny  /t/1523082/before-i-spring-for-a-pair-of-kef-r100#post_24504410

Thanks.

I have had Klipsch Synergy speakers for years and always liked their sound, but the treble was a bit harsh for jazz horns and so forth. I suspect the RB-61 ii would have some improved performance, but I am intrigued by making a more drastic change in favor of musical performance to make the upgrade worthwhile. I'm concerned that the Klipsch just won't be enough of a move to be worth the dough, and thought it would be fun to try a new make.

I have heard that the B&Ws are laid-back and warm sounding. Would the Kef house sound fall somewhere in between the bright crispy Klipsch and the buttery laid-back B&W?

Also up for consideration are PSB Image B6 or the cheaper Polk RTi A3, all with a sub added........unless I scrap it all and go for a small floorstander, but those would have to be front-ported this time around.

I would say KEF is somewhere in the middle, but it has been a while since I heard them. At this budget, you really ought to go out and listen to speakers. You have a lot of options and the only way to make the right choice is to demo speakers. See if you have any hi-fi stores near you, and go listen to what they have.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might be able to listen to the KEFs and PSBs and B&Ws by appointment, but this seems dishonest as I will likely order online to save money.

There are no showrooms open regularly to the public near me where I could do A/B comparisons of these speakers. I'll have to settle for whatever return policy is available and work with that in the interest of affording better gear.

Thanks again to all for the input.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberfunny  /t/1523082/before-i-spring-for-a-pair-of-kef-r100#post_24504939

I might be able to listen to the KEFs and PSBs and B&Ws by appointment, but this seems dishonest as I will likely order online to save money.

There are no showrooms open regularly to the public near me where I could do A/B comparisons of these speakers. I'll have to settle for whatever return policy is available and work with that in the interest of affording better gear.

Thanks again to all for the input.

You can always see what kind of deal they can offer you, sometimes you will be surprised. But the main purpose will be to figure out the type of sound you like. I would say the KEF and PSB speakers are probably closer in sound to each other than the B&Ws, so see what you like. If you end up liking the B&Ws, then maybe look into Wharfedale speakers, if you want something with more forward highs similar to Klipsch, maybe check out Focal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts