AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an article from MSNBC, and specifically talks about a scam artist and selling Plasma TV's on EBAY....

MSNBC Article

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
This should really be a warning to all of us. Just one of many ways we can be scammed, particularly those who are willing to gamble and think they are to smart to be taken advantage of.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Plasma scams on Ebay are really out of control. So much for Ebay's software that they said this summer would stop most of this. Bottom line buy from an AVS Forum sponsor!

John

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is usually a sure-fire way to root these guys out if you've read the news articles about them and are not impulsive in your bidding.

Start by emailing them and asking basic questions (common sense stuff) like "Is the TV yours?", "Why are you selling it so cheaply?", "Why is your auction private?"

They'll usually give you a standard reply that says they need the money fast and have to pay some supplier or something.

Your next email should ask them if they'll accept payment via a Credit Card (safe for you). If it's a scam, the other guy will make up any excuse possible why he cannot accept that form of payment. The last guy I questioned said that his PayPal account was being upgraded, so he couldn't accept payments right now through them. Yeah, right. Next, they'll say something like, "I have a great idea! Why don't you just send me the money via Western Union... blah, blah, blah." If you've read the news reports, you know where it goes from here.

So far, despite multiple attempts to find one of these auctions that were actually valid, I have failed and the adage "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" continues to hold true.

In summary, if you're not sure it's a scam, start up a conversation with them and the scam will eventually be revealed.

Neil

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got one of those eBay fake e-mails today. I got one from a fake Pay Pal a few weeks prior. I reported both of them, but everyone should be wary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good article. I'd love to see 'Kenneth' get busted and spend a long time behind bars where he belongs. It's amazing that this stuff can go on and the perpetrators bet away with it. It is sad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
With the great service and prices from the forums sponsors, (like Plasma extreme) why would anyone take the risk and buy a plasma off of some unknown seller on e-bay?

Are the e-bay sellers really that much cheaper?

I just finished reading that article. I think that most honest members of society cannot fathom that someone so amoral as "Kenneth" could even exist. 99.5% would be so overcome by guilt that we couldn't go on in that way of life. It's that complete lack of guilt that is beyond my comprehension.

The inherent trust we have in others, is what makes Kenneth (the other .05%) such a successful thief.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.