AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 60A3000. I'm gonna keep it. I bought it as a necessary alternative to the 70XBR5 that never was. But I am "living with it" as a relatively cheap alternative to something bigger and better that will come down in price in TWO years.

Truth be told, I can see why Sony is getting away from RP. The A3000 is miserable in terms of SSE. It mars not only bright white scenes (I do not think Sony RP-whites are better than dirty-plasma whites, which at least show some detail to the sparklies), it shows the "dreaded sparklies" on bright blue (sky) and other colors to less of an extent. Surfaces that should show "clean" and sharp with 1080p, show "sparkly" all too often (so itis just not bright sky/sun). When I view an outside scene/sky, I tend to tense up as one does before a tetanus (sp?) shot at the doctor's office
, bracing to see if the "dreaded sparklies" will show up again. The SSE is pervasive. It is evident on not only scenery and walls, but on clothing of folks, both film and video.

The moral to the story? Do not be swayed by the popular AV magazine reviews ("Best RP of the Year"), or even our AVS forum buddies (probably, at the end of the day, still the most reliable opinions). Eyeball this A3000 unit and decide if you can live with the really bad Silk Screen Effect. Most AV magazines + CNet, etc., etc. either do not mention it or give it a vague mention.

I will be keeping it, due to the good pricing, the accurate color, and sizing (small footprint- no "dumbo ears"/"victory wings"-pick one !). bUt please be aware that SSE on these units effects multiple facets of the picture quality !:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I have heard ppl complain about it and others say there is no SSE.


Maybe it's just your set that is behaving badly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
did you calibrate at all???


Sounds like your using straight up retail floor torch mode



To minimize any sse put sharpness at zero or less and use THX optimize to crank down the brightness and contrast some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/12896390


did you calibrate at all???


Sounds like your using straight up retail floor torch mode

>>"John", please look at the number of entries that I have on AVS Forum, and my member date. I know you are probably trying to be helpful, but it sort of comes off as patronizing. Please avoid "stock/boilerplate" answers. All RP have SSE, some worse than others.

My setting are virtually the same as the recommended settings by TPV and CNet, AV, etc. I have also done Avia on the unit...does that sound like "torch mode?" (e.g. "Oh, you mean, take it off of VIVID?"
)


To minimize any sse put sharpness at zero or less and use THX optimize to crank down the brightness and contrast some.[/quote]


>>Yea, I can try that, but it would be far below the best overall picture quality response, as procured by others. Minimizing SSE is possible, but there is a big compromise. Maybe some A3000's have it worse than others depending on the plastic screen...but they ALL have it.


Buyer beware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I think he was just asking you a couple of questions and not "patronizing" you. Maybe you got a bum set, maybe you are more sensitive to sse, whatever. Just don't expect everyone to know you are an expert by the # of posts you have....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
From what I understand, the SSE affects all Rear Projection displays. I see it in my A2000, and it doesn't bother me much, although I can see how it may bother someone else. It can't be tweeked out without losing proper brightness calibration.


Since the SSE is a result of the type of anti-glare screen used, then without SSE, you will get reflections on the screen. I see no reflections, so I am happy.


I don't understand though why only RPTVs have this anti-glare screen. Why don't Plasmas? Conversely, why can't they put a non anti-glare screen on RPTVs?


If something is wrong in my post here, please correct me, I'm not claiming to be an expert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I had an A2000 (from 2006) for 10 months and just had it swapped for an A3000 and re-calibrated. I notice absolutely no difference in SSE between the sets, and I've been looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
At the risk of offending you if you are seeing "sparklies" then it may not be SSE.


Maybe try changing your cables. I have read a number of posts with people having cable issues with HDMI1.3 devices. The "sparklies" disappeared after changing cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts
I don't make any $1000+ purchases sight unseen so generally I miss the point of this post, because the 70" XBR isn't SSE free. Any current RPTV has SSE. LCDs have poor black levels and they're at best questionable with motion. Plasmas consume more power, sometimes have reflective screens, and cannot be touched at an A3000 pricepoint with similar features such as 1080p/24. If you were willing to spend for the 70" XBR, why not just get the 60" Kuro? The bigger and better in two years will probably also have SSE if it's RPTV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE /forum/post/12896790


>>"John", please look at the number of entries that I have on AVS Forum, and my member date. I know you are probably trying to be helpful, but it sort of comes off as patronizing. Please avoid "stock/boilerplate" answers. All RP have SSE, some worse than others.

My setting are virtually the same as the recommended settings by TPV and CNet, AV, etc. I have also done Avia on the unit...does that sound like "torch mode?" (e.g. "Oh, you mean, take it off of VIVID?"
)


To minimize any sse put sharpness at zero or less and use THX optimize to crank down the brightness and contrast some.

>>Yea, I can try that, but it would be far below the best overall picture quality response, as procured by others. Minimizing SSE is possible, but there is a big compromise. Maybe some A3000's have it worse than others depending on the plastic screen...but they ALL have it.


Buyer beware.
[/quote]



I have delt with these displays a lot. Usually I can get it down to nearly imperceptable at all on HD sources. Sd sources and bad SD source in particular.. Well it's tough, they do have it and you can only do so much with it.


I can say SSE does not bother me very much. Jaggies and artifacts are the bain of what I hate most for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 /forum/post/12896865


...don't expect everyone to know you are an expert by the # of posts you have....

True. Some of the worst trolls on this forum have far more posts than he does. Quality of thought is what's important.


I agree with JOHNnDENVER - motion smoothness is what bothers me most, and the better RPs have this one pegged. Including SXRDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE /forum/post/12895917


I recently purchased a 60A3000. I'm gonna keep it. I bought it as a necessary alternative to the 70XBR5 that never was. But I am "living with it" as a relatively cheap alternative to something bigger and better that will come down in price in TWO years.

Truth be told, I can see why Sony is getting away from RP. The A3000 is miserable in terms of SSE. It mars not only bright white scenes (I do not think Sony RP-whites are better than dirty-plasma whites, which at least show some detail to the sparklies), it shows the "dreaded sparklies" on bright blue (sky) and other colors to less of an extent. Surfaces that should show "clean" and sharp with 1080p, show "sparkly" all too often (so itis just not bright sky/sun). When I view an outside scene/sky, I tend to tense up as one does before a tetanus (sp?) shot at the doctor's office
, bracing to see if the "dreaded sparklies" will show up again. The SSE is pervasive. It is evident on not only scenery and walls, but on clothing of folks, both film and video.

The moral to the story? Do not be swayed by the popular AV magazine reviews ("Best RP of the Year"), or even our AVS forum buddies (probably, at the end of the day, still the most reliable opinions). Eyeball this A3000 unit and decide if you can live with the really bad Silk Screen Effect. Most AV magazines + CNet, etc., etc. either do not mention it or give it a vague mention.

I will be keeping it, due to the good pricing, the accurate color, and sizing (small footprint- no "dumbo ears"/"victory wings"-pick one !). bUt please be aware that SSE on these units effects multiple facets of the picture quality !:

I also just purchased a 60A3000 last week, and have ZERO issues with "SSE". The only way I can detect SSE is to completely take my eyes off the picture and focus on an extremely white background, subsequently losing all focus of the rest of the picture. That's not something someone would ever normally do while watching any TV. It simply is not an issue, as backed up by the multitude of reviews praising this set. Maybe you should check your sources/cables, or maybe take a trip to the eye-doctor.


This weekend I had the chance to watch one of the playoff games on my friends new Pioneer 6010, and while the picture was awesome, I much prefer my 60A3000's picture. The Pioneer simply seems dim compared to my Sony. I'll take "SSE" bright whites over dim, dingy whites any day of the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Have you tried lowering the dynamic IRIS? I set mine to no higher than low during the day/min at night and SSE can rarely be seen, but hardly objectionable. Also, the 70xbr5 would have the same problem as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,512 Posts
I watch hockey in HD. Hockey maybe the worst offender when it comes to SSE. I deal with it and or get used to it. When I think about it is when I notice it again, just like a noisy fan or air conditioner. I do think about the professional reviews for this set. Out of 4 I have seen, not one review mentioned SSE. It seems if it was that big of and issue overall as far as PQ goes they would mention it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE /forum/post/12895917


I recently purchased a 60A3000. I'm gonna keep it. I bought it as a necessary alternative to the 70XBR5 that never was. But I am "living with it" as a relatively cheap alternative to something bigger and better that will come down in price in TWO years.

Truth be told, I can see why Sony is getting away from RP. The A3000 is miserable in terms of SSE. It mars not only bright white scenes (I do not think Sony RP-whites are better than dirty-plasma whites, which at least show some detail to the sparklies), it shows the "dreaded sparklies" on bright blue (sky) and other colors to less of an extent. Surfaces that should show "clean" and sharp with 1080p, show "sparkly" all too often (so itis just not bright sky/sun). When I view an outside scene/sky, I tend to tense up as one does before a tetanus (sp?) shot at the doctor's office
, bracing to see if the "dreaded sparklies" will show up again. The SSE is pervasive. It is evident on not only scenery and walls, but on clothing of folks, both film and video.

The moral to the story? Do not be swayed by the popular AV magazine reviews ("Best RP of the Year"), or even our AVS forum buddies (probably, at the end of the day, still the most reliable opinions). Eyeball this A3000 unit and decide if you can live with the really bad Silk Screen Effect. Most AV magazines + CNet, etc., etc. either do not mention it or give it a vague mention.

I will be keeping it, due to the good pricing, the accurate color, and sizing (small footprint- no "dumbo ears"/"victory wings"-pick one !). bUt please be aware that SSE on these units effects multiple facets of the picture quality !:

I think the morals of the story are:


Look before you leap


Buy from a store w/ a 30 day return policy


Don't keep what you don't like, especially if you pay for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
This is my first post here, but ...


Even though the OP was pretty abrasive in conveying his message, the underlying advice is sound. You should always try to actually look at a TV before actually buying it, but this is especially true for RPTVs. The impact of the SSE varies from person-to-person, so while one person may not even see it, it may make the television borderline unwatchable for someone else.


Personally, I love my 55A3000, and it is everything that I hoped it would be, but I rarely see SSE myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
SSE it does have. but So does a movie theater, i see it when i go to the movies all the time. if u want a TV with no SSE get an LCD and sacrifice color accuracy and black levels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx /forum/post/12900592


SSE it does have. but So does a movie theater, i see it when i go to the movies all the time. if u want a TV with no SSE get an LCD and sacrifice color accuracy and black levels

Agreed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
hopefully companies will use a different screen to eliminate sse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/12899895


I watch hockey in HD. Hockey maybe the worst offender when it comes to SSE. I deal with it and or get used to it. When I think about it is when I notice it again, just like a noisy fan or air conditioner. I do think about the professional reviews for this set. Out of 4 I have seen, not one review mentioned SSE. It seems if it was that big of and issue overall as far as PQ goes they would mention it.

Ah, yes one does ! (which one of the three major publication reviewers I cannot recall...maybe CNet, but if you re-read my original post, they mention it only briefly). This is NOT a minor issue.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top