AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this topic being discussed a awful lot. I just have a couple noobie questions I couldn't find answers to. I am using an Nvidia Geforce 9600 card and windows media center (Windows 7).

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_I...specifications

The card is using the component outputs input to my receiver and then sent to my tv through hdmi output of receiver. Receiver is "Pass-through" so the signal is not being touched. I also used the dvi/hdmi splitter also but experienced the same problems and quality with the hdmi cable. At least with component I can still have 2 monitors at my desktop.

Anyhow, I did experience the overscan issue. at 1920x1080p (or interlaced when using the component), the icons on my destop were outside the image, as well as the start menu. I went into the Nvidia control panel and used the "adjust screen area" feature and adjusted the screen display area using those slider bars and came out with resolution of something like 1880x1016 or something like that. Is this a no-no? How do I get the display area to be the correct size? I read somewhere to use the "Full Pixel" setting on the tv. Any other thoughts?

The picture quality of the WMC menus and such was awesome. I even loaded up Half-life 2 and set the res to 1920x1080 an was blown away by the quality. Anyhow, the problem comes down to dvd. I'm playing vobs. Tried it with windows media player and WMC and they look very washed out, blurry. Before I go to town with extensive calibration, is WMC a good player to use with dvd movies? I want the dvd cover-art flow. I want to take advantage of the Nvidia pure hd feature of my card too.

· Registered
537 Posts
why are you using component instead of DVI-HDMI?

As for dvd playback, I use MPC-HC, but there are a lot of dvd players out there.

as for it looking out of focus, think about the source resolution vs the output resolution..

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder /forum/post/18123226

why are you using component instead of DVI-HDMI?

As for dvd playback, I use MPC-HC, but there are a lot of dvd players out there.

as for it looking out of focus, think about the source resolution vs the output resolution..

think about the source resolution vs the output resolution..

Hi, so the source res on a dvd is what 480p? Output is 1080i. What should I be thinking about?

I'm using the component because I still want a dual display config at my desktop. If I use the dvi/hdmi I can only use one other monitor. Is this a huge deal?

Thanks

· Registered
451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetun /forum/post/18123368

think about the source resolution vs the output resolution..

Hi, so the source res on a dvd is what 480p? Output is 1080i. What should I be thinking about?

That the TV is at a resolution which could fit 4 copies of the 480p video on the screen at the same time in pixel perfect fashion. The first thing that I would look at doing when playing DVD's from a HTPC is to setup ffdshow to do some proper up-conversion and a little image processing on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetun /forum/post/18123368

I'm using the component because I still want a dual display config at my desktop. If I use the dvi/hdmi I can only use one other monitor. Is this a huge deal?

Thanks

It can be. Many times the digital to analog or analog to digital converters are not that great. In this case, you are doing the following: digital to analog conversion on the HTPC and an analog to digital conversion on the receiver/pre-processor. If you stayed with DVI/HDMI you would have no conversions at all in your setup.

It might also be the reason for your overscan issues (might not be as well). Many TV's will have a 1 to 1 pixel setting somewhere in the configuration menu. Sometimes it is in a hidden service menu, sometimes not available at all.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed the overscan issues with both the hdmi and component. The picture quality was the same with both also.

fdddshow and conversion process on the fly...

How do you do it, and can I still use the WMC to play my dvd's?

Is this the standard set-up, Win media center with fddshow?

I hear you about the upscaling thing. I'm not expecting Blu-ray quality, I'm just looking for PQ thats on par with my oppo dvd player.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.