Yamaha RX-V663

Adcom GFA545II

2 Sonance Sonamp 260MKIIs

Sonance Sonamp 260x3 MKII

Sonance Sonamp MKII rackmount

Slim PS3 with 500GB HDD

Xbox 360 Arcade with 20GB HDD

Modified Sony SS-F7000 towers

Modified Sony SS-B1000 bookshelves (now upstairs in bedroom)

3 Pair Modified Sony SS-MB 350H bookshelves

2 Modified Sony SS-CN5000P centers

Sony SS-WM500 sub

DCM sub 710ii sub now dedicated to midbass only

Frankenstein sub

Yamaha YST-SW216 sub with new insides and a dayton 10 inch quattro driver

MSI GT725-212US laptop with 128gb ssd drive

Tripath T-Amp (for in the bedroom)

22 inch 1080 AOC monitor (in bedroom for use with second Slim PS3)

·
Registered
523 Posts
wow... you are definitely a one brand kind of guy... looks great... good dedication to putting it all together over an extended period of time...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i couldnt afford much more than the sony speakers. remember im a bagger at krogers and have a kid! and they sounded good at first. but i took em all apart and lined the insides with acoustic foam, added real crossovers (instead of little caps on the wiring inside) and re wired them with 12 gauge cable. they sound much better now. but the soundstage from the receiver i have now is small and wont push a full signal to them like they can really handle. so i bought a Yamaha RX_V663 to help this problem. and manage my mess of cables and support the new audio codecs. i cant wait to start adding individual amps to the pre outs on it either

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hello kustus,

My friend has a couple of older Sony speakers, and while they are big and have that 70s look they sound really, really good!

I think you've done great so far! The system already looks clean. Keep the pictures coming as you add more gear. Props to you for taking them speakers apart and modding them!!

Hopefully the Yamaha is going to open them up quite a bit. The fun begins once you start adding individual amps...

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustus /forum/post/17374590

thanks, i couldnt afford much more than the sony speakers. remember im a bagger at krogers and have a kid! and they sounded good at first. but i took em all apart and lined the insides with acoustic foam, added real crossovers (instead of little caps on the wiring inside) and re wired them with 12 gauge cable. they sound much better now. but the soundstage from the receiver i have now is small and wont push a full signal to them like they can really handle. so i bought a Yamaha RX_V663 to help this problem. and manage my mess of cables and support the new audio codecs. i cant wait to start adding individual amps to the pre outs on it either

i didnt mean for it to sound like that.. it was meant as a complement you are obviously talented to take what you can afford and make it sound better.. i have two floor stander sony speakers from the late 90's that i use as surround left and right speakers.. they work great considering the small amount of sound coming from the rear speakers anyway..

again props to you for creating something nice out of what you can afford.. you will be successful in your life if you continue that mindset!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol im sure you didnt mean it like that, but thanks again. im used to getting a bum rap for having them though, so i defend them because ive spent so much time on everything. it was only until i made friends with a guy that used to work at genesis audio that the guys at the store backed off me. he came over and said that with the modifications i made they sounded similar to revel loudspeakers with nice imaging and pretty natural sound only lacking bass. but thats a receiver problem. (they run perfect with my dads old adcom amp). he said i had nice stuff especially for a beginner. i would love to have a processor and individual mono blocks for everything and run tad reference 1's all around with some two jl audio gotham subs and tributaries wire with a qualia sxrd front projector but hey a guy can dream right?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Nice set-up there! Go Sony! Hey, if it sounds good to you, then that's what it's all about. No doubt it rocks nicely.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks again everyone. my yammie should be in today or tomorrow, im very excited to hook it up and experiment

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looking good.

You're doing better than I was at 18. Those rear and side speakers look SO big oin your walls. I've embedded your pics for easier viewing:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well thank you very much for embedding them for me. and the rear speakers are sorta big on my wall. they do have 8 inch drivers in them lol and i think the size on em are around 9in wide by 20in tall by 9in deep. so they are large for wall mounting. i used smarter speaker mounts from parts-express to hold em up. and 3 inch drywall screws to secure them into the studs. they wont budge. and remember im in an 11x12 bedroom, so everything looks big...the room's small

·
Registered
523 Posts
did you say you had two subwoofers in that set up somewhere?.. the more i look the more i like your setup... i like the big speakers on the wall.. my polk audios are about that big, and i was thinking about putting them on the wall as well...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i have two subs in here, ill take a picture of the DCM sub once i get my yamaha installed and clean up a bit. its nice for a freebie. thanks everyone for the positive feedback

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
new setup, scratch the cd and dvd changer and the old sony receiver. add a yamaha RX-V663 and an onkyo M-282 power amp and a center stand. pics are on the way tonight

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustus /forum/post/17384771

yes i have two subs in here, ill take a picture of the DCM sub once i get my yamaha installed and clean up a bit. its nice for a freebie. thanks everyone for the positive feedback

Hey I have OR had to DCM powered subs I bought back about in 94. I think I got them at Circuit City. They were like 400$ each "i think"

They did "ok" but I was never happy with them. They would always bottom out or something?? They just never hit hard enough or loud enough. I wished quickly that I didnt sell my Cerwin Vega AT-12s "which I absolutely loved"..

I have rebuilt both my DCM boxes and put a 12 memphis audio mojo in each. They hit way deeper and sound better now. I need bigger plate amps as the 150wt ones are not enough..lol. I need a couple 500wt plate amps for them.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know there are more DCM owners out there..
Your setup looks good man. Keep up the good work.

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
The Sony speakers have some pretty good reviews on Amazon. I am cheap and almost bought them instead of my Boston Acoustics. I ended up getting a deal on the Bostons that I could not pass up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, im late on the photos, but i have some new ones. i have my El Cheapo Chico center stand build and in use. its not painted yet, but will be soon.

i have the new Onkyo M-282 power amp driving my mains

i took pictures of the ports on my towers to show the foam i put in them, along with pics of the backs of my bookshelves to show their modded binding posts and ports on the 350H's.

took pics of the small but mighty DCM sub i have... and plan on modifying with two tangband 6 1/2 neo subwoofers

and thats about if for now guys, im outta money i can spend freely for a while lol but cant shake the upgrade bug.

also, if anyone could embed the photos for me, it would be great. thanks everyone. im glad to be here on AVS and have my stuff up with the other nice setups

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
more stuff is coming soon, moving to the basement and will show it off asap. new equipment is edited above

1 - 20 of 54 Posts