AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, the information in this group has been very helpful... someday I hope to contribute advice, but for now I have a question--

I have read in multiple discussions of Powerstrip and Scan Rates that the proper vertical scan rate for a 4:3 HDTV running at 480p is 31.5. I have also seen that the vertical scan rate for 1080i is 33.75.

I want to avoid harming my TV (Toshiba 36hfx71) – This set is capable of running both 480p and 1080i, so am I safe assuming I can use both vertical scan rates?

What are the downfalls of sending an incorrect frequency to the TV???

From Mark Rejhon's post in the Beginner FAQ re: scan rates (9-3-00):

"A HDTV set that can display a progressive scan resolution, can also display interlaced resolutions twice the vertical resolution of that progressive scan resolution. Additionally, a HDTV set that can display an interlaced resolution, can also display progressive scan resolutions half the vertical resolution.

480p = 960i = 31.5Khz horizontal sync

540p = 1080i = 33.75Khz horizontal sync

720p = 1440i = 48Khz horizontal sync

Therefore, a HDTV set that supports 480p and 1080i (ie: most HDTV sets) also supports 960i and 540p. This means you can natively do 480p/540p/960i/1080i from your computer to the HDTV set. They map directly. This means 480p is any mode that has 480 pixels vertically. This includes 640x480, 720x480, even 856x480, or whatever. "

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Most of the Powerstrip discussion is focused on the widescreen 16:9 HDTVs. Your HDTV sounds like a 4:3 to me.

Due to the extreme complexity of the Powerstrip software, I dumped my Panasonic CT-36HX41 and got myself a Monivision DM7752ST computer monitor four months ago. Ever since then, I haven't used Powerstrip on my HTPC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the HDTV is 4:3 -

The info on the Monovision is very interesting; however, I don't think my wife will let me shell out a few thousand bucks on my "little experiment!"

Thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My experience is that if your set can't display the scan rate properly, the image will just not sync and display correctly. Otherwise, no damage actually occurs to the set.

That being said, if you do experiment with custom refresh rates and such with Power Strip, make sure you remember the "press the control key (IIRC-someone chime in here if I'm not remembering the correct key) while booting trick" as this will allow windows to load without loading the powerstrip driver.

Otherwise, it's possible to accidentally change the display properties of PS to something your PJ can't display, and if it can't display it, you can't see to change it without dragging another monitor in (assuming a desk top monitor could display that setting). That trick can really save you some heart ache!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by irwinben
Yes, the HDTV is 4:3 -

The info on the Monovision is very interesting; however, I don't think my wife will let me shell out a few thousand bucks on my "little experiment!"

Thanks.
Well, here's the alternative to a few thousand bucks:

Hours upon hours wasted experimenting with Powerstrip to make your HTPC work with your display so that you will get the desired result with may or may not be possible without the right transcoder. You have been warned.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
kharvel,

You must have had a REALLY bad time with PowerStrip... While it may be somewhat daunting for first-timers, it's a godsend once you understand how to use it. I also use PS with my PC monitors to set up odd-ball resolutions like 1440x960 and for it's ability to change the resolution for specific applications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.