AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get started with a simple security system I can build on. I would like to eventually integrate some home automation but for now I'm just looking to install a few pressure mats, door/window sensors, and IP cameras. I'd like to DIY all of it and I wanted to start with something I can build upon and learn from.

Any suggestions on forums besides this one and/or sites that have good prices for consumers?

Eventually I'd like to centralize the video and audio and set up an HDMI switch for all my TVs which is why I figured all the tinkerers here would have a good idea of what to start off with.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
You will buy an Elk M1 or HAI OPII - security alarms that also have some home automation functions.

Search/learn at cocoontech forums

Elk and HAI have subforums at cocoontech, for very specific questions (found in the Marketplace subforum).

Don't buy anything until you've read the instruction manual(s), and don't buy until you're ready to install. I suggest installing in steps - step 1 alarm, step 2 cameras; don't buy any cameras until you're ready to install them. It may take a while to get the alarm install completed, and IP camera prices continue to fall. And, technology advances rapidly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.