AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the beginner's question, but I need a little help. I understand how to connect all my digital/analog audio connections to my receiver, but I am a bit confused about video connections. If all my component connections are going directly into the TV, is it also necessary to make video connections with the receiver to correspond with the audio inputs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
It is certainly not necessary, as long as you don't have more sources than inputs on the TV. The advantage is that the receiver can switch both audio and video. Without doing this you must switch the receiver to the right audio input and the TV to the right video input. Probably less of an issue if you have a programmable remote with macros that switch both automatically.

Theoretically direct connections to the TV can give better picture quality. As long as the receiver has high bandwidth (>30MHz) component video switching and you use good cables this shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
the idea of video through receiver is so that you only have one (or one of each type of connection) so that when you change your receiver for sound from a different source you also end up changing the video to the same source

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.