AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm just for the first time looking to buy a nice home theater projector, preferably no more than $1200.

I have started a Meetup group that will show documentary films (standard DVD quality) to the public at the local libraries. So I want to buy an appropriate projector and laptop computer and I suppose speaker system that would be suitable for public rooms with 100-200 seats capacity.

I would love your input on what to buy for a projector.

What I understand already:

Higher lumens models can project images in dimly lit rooms which is a situation that could occasionally happen to me.

A higher resolution projector should match the higher resolution of my computer.

The projector should be DLP or have some kind of engine that makes it theater quality.

Where I'm confused is:

Is there an advantage to buy a HDMI input projector? Will a VGA monitor input suffice?

What is the bottom line in determining the image quality?

I found an Epson with 10 watts of internal sound. Would that be sufficient or not?

What is a good way to setup speaker system? Laptops only have a headphone mini-jack output.

What else should I keep in mind in deciding on a good projector under $1200?

Thank you for helping me out.

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, where to start? A lot depends on what kind of environment you'll be using this (how big of a screen, how much light in the room).

I would look at HD compatible "business presentation" models with at least 2000+ lumens, the brighter the better. Presentation models are portable and geared for what you want to do. Either DLP or LCD is fine (that is a whole different debate, not really relevant here)

HDMI probably wouldn't help if you're hooking it up to a laptop. VGA to VGA would probably work best. It really depends on what you are playing the DVD on. As far as sound, internal speakers are rarely loud enough, you would need amplified computer speakers at the very least.

Do more research here and at projectorcentral.com

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Unless the films you plan to show are in the public domain, you will find yourself on the wrong side of copyright laws. Even "free" showings in public places (i.e., outside your home) are expressly prohibited (ever notice that FBI warning?). You probably won't get into trouble, but librarians are usually particularly sensitive to these regulations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying. This has been helpful.

BMAG I appreciate the warning. The libraries have already explained that I can only show a movie if I provide them with written permission from the licenser (distributor or authors). These are small budget, independent journalists that want their movies seen to as many as possible. These movies rarely make it to the Motion Picture Theaters. Most will be happy to give permission. Thanks.

Sluggo, it helps to know that a business presentation model will do the trick and set the lumens to 2000 minimum. VGA is OK that helps too. The screens will vary from room to room so I need a model that is flexible with that.

HDMI is really needed for Blu-Ray, yes? So VGA will work fine with a Standard quality DVD.

I am thinking of an Epson PowerLite 83+ or 822+ Mulitmedia Projector. I can find a new one discounted on Craig's list.

BTW what is keystone? I may need a protable wide screen eventually.

Grateful,

Joe

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
How big is this room? My local theater seats about 200, so you're going to want a lot of sound. Also the Optoma EP1691 >>>> Epson projectors you mentioned. The Epsons are bright, but the contrast ratio will doubtfully be black enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts