AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I browsed through several topics in regards to the setup of HTPC to LCD-RP TV to try to find my answer, but I decided to ask them myself to see if there is a simpler solution/explaination.

We just bought a Sony KF50WE620(apparently not available in states, not sure on this, replacement for the 610) and got it working fine with our digital cable TV. But now I want to see if the DVI input will allow my computer to work with it. Note that I am not specifically making a HTPC, but just want to occasionally enjoy PC gaming on the big screen:

Spec Currently for PC:

P4 2.4GHz

512MB of PC800 RAM(soon to be 1GB)

GeForce 4 Ti 4400 with DVI/S-vid out, 128MB DDR RAM

61.77 nVidia driver.

I am also looking to upgrade my video card soon, more on that later.

As naive as I was, I was fully expecting it to work the first time by just plug it into my TV, and to a certain extend it was. The video card driver automatically selected 1280x760 as default resolution and it shows up on the screen fine, the desktop is bigger than the TV screen though(I think you guys called this overscan?). So I enabled nView from the driver and adjusted the corner to match and got a good sized desktop at this resolution. However as I noted from the driver it mentioned my TV is supposed to be capable of 1920 x 1080, so I tried that and the problem presented itself in the form of flickering. So I switched it back to previous setting and tried all the other res in between 1920x1080 and 1280x760, and the same thing happens with flickering. So I stick with the working one and tried to run some game with it. On my normal monitor I usually run game at around 1024x768 for the newer more graphic hungry game such as Doom 3, Splinter Cell 2, or Colin McRae Rally 4. I open up those game in that resolution and the game runs but again with the flickering. I set the res to 800x600 and the flickering stops, with the obvious graphic quality penalty(not so much in Doom 3 as the game looks great even at lower res), but I'd still like to know what is causing the flickering. I also tried higher res in those game(if they support it, CMR seems to support only up to 1024 x 768), both Doom 3 and Splinter Cell works at 1280x1024 with no flickering, however my PC is too slow to run those game at those resolution. Game like Rainbow Six 3 supports my desktop res of 1280x760 by default, and it will run flicker free, however the overscan makes it impossible to see the health or ammo count ingame. I don't know if there is a way to make nView works with a game so it adjusts for the overscan.

One possible solution I am guessing is if I switch to a newer model video card as nVidia mentioned that newer card supports their timing adjustment function(not that I know how to use it). And since I figure the time is right I am looking into switching to a GeForce FX 5900 from PNY, I'd love to know what people here thinks about that card.

So in general any comments/solutions will be appreciated a whole lot, I wish these TV works more like a Plug n play monitor....

· Registered
11 Posts
What you need is an updated driver. Unfortunately, Nvidia hasn't officially released an updated driver on their web site which supports underscan for DVI connections. However, if you go to Guru3D.com, you can download the latest "official" Nvidia driver release 61.82 which should give you the underscan option under the "HDTV Desktop" button in the driver properties. If this latest "official" driver doesn't have the option, you can try version 66.72. Good luck.

:)

· Registered
615 Posts
I am also having this problem with my JVC RPTV AV-48WP74 connected by DVI to Radeon 9600XT (WinXP Pro with Radeon 4.10 drivers). The vidcard automatically detects a 1080i monitor and sets the resolution as such(1980x1080i). But on any open windows there is severe flickering, to the point where text is unreadable (ie. in I.E.). I can switch the display to 1280x720p, which eliminates the flicker but still gives severe overscan, distortion at the edges, and is somewhat fuzzy. Using Powerstrip to shrink the display dimensions, shows the distortion. I think it may be downconverting it to 480p.

I have powerstrip and would like to run 1776x1000i in 1980x1080i timings if I could just get rid of the flickering. I have a hunch that the scan rate (vertical) of the vid card is not exactly matching the one for my display, but I'm afraid to mess with it for fear of destroying my TV. Is there anyone out there that can help?

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Aborro
What you need is an updated driver. Unfortunately, Nvidia hasn't officially released an updated driver on their web site which supports underscan for DVI connections. However, if you go to Guru3D.com, you can download the latest "official" Nvidia driver release 61.82 which should give you the underscan option under the "HDTV Desktop" button in the driver properties. If this latest "official" driver doesn't have the option, you can try version 66.72. Good luck.

:)
Will try it out and update on the result. Thanks a bunch...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.