AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two coaxial cables running from outside my house into the basement for local cable. They will soon upgrade to digital and only use one cable. Can I run the other coaxial from an antenna to a STB? If not coaxial what kind of cable is used? Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, you can use the other cable to connect an outside antenna to you STB. The cable should be RG6 and not RG59. Some cable has the type printed along the outside. Just ask the cable installer, he'll know. Make sure the cable goes directly from the outside to the STB. You don't want splitters dropping your signal strength.

Al Keown

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Don't worry so much about whether a cable is RG6 or RG59. Good

quality RG59 is perfectly adequate, especially at frequencies well below

those used by the output of DirectTV or DishNetwork LNBs ... that is,

the signals of OTA TV are much lower frequency than the downconverted

satellite ones and hence much more forgiving. If you have RG 59, try

it. If it works, fine. IF it doesn't .... RG6 might help you a teensy bit. An antenna mounted amplifier would help far more, and make RG6 unnecessary.

Doug MCDonald

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmcdonald
Don't worry so much about whether a cable is RG6 or RG59. Good

quality RG59 is perfectly adequate, especially at frequencies well below

those used by the output of DirectTV or DishNetwork LNBs ... that is,

the signals of OTA TV are much lower frequency than the downconverted

satellite ones and hence much more forgiving. If you have RG 59, try

it. If it works, fine. IF it doesn't .... RG6 might help you a teensy bit. An antenna mounted amplifier would help far more, and make RG6 unnecessary.
To be clear, RG-6 is specified by all DBS equipment manufacturers, bar none, for use with the LNB's.

For OTA use, RG-59 will suffice for shorter cable runs (less than 25'), but RG-6 would still be preferred and is not that much more expensive.

If your doing an installation from scratch, use RG-6, if your using existing cable for OTA, try the RG-59.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.