AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2 quarts of this paint trying to finish up my DIY Screen. I heard the the Rustolem Paint which it's basically made for metal would eat through foam board. The Behr is a Water Based paint. I Have a very Nice MightyCore Doubble strength Foam Board $60 85x48 that I will be painting. The Behr Silver Metallic won't eat through my foam board would it? If I put it on in thin coats? The paint has shinny metallic looking micro crystals like the Rustolium but the Behr is Water Based. I spent $70 on the paint and High density foam Rollers. I'm not concerned if I don't get it 100% perfect paint job I'm just trying to finish the job. I heard once the movie is on you barley notice any imperfection's on the screen. But if this paint will not work on my foam board I'm giving up and going to buy a HighPower. Should I prime my foam board or will thin coats of the paint work as a primer. I plan on putting on 4 coats. Also will my screen be darker than I'm thinking - the general theory is paint looks darker on the wall or what ever - then it does in the can or sample. Behr also has an Opel Metallic White and I'm wondering if I should mix it 1:1 with the Silver metallic to get a lighter blend. Either way I definitely am trying to up my Gain. I'm assuming both metallic paints would do that. I'm just concerned that the Silver may be darker than I think? thanks ready to start paint tonight Friday Sept 12, 2003, unless it will screw up my foam board. thanks david

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Always prime before painting. Using paint as a primer isn't the same. The primer sets up the paint for a smooth even finish and also hides artifacts that would often bleed through when using paint alone. For water based applications nothing I've worked with does better than Kilz 2. Prove it to yourself. Take two samples of wood, prime one, paint both and examine the results. Best wishes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks CMRA, I thought Kills contained some chemical that would eat through the paper type coating on my foam board, but I'll head up to my Home Depot and grab a Quart. Any thought on weather I should mix the Silver with the Opel - Pearl White Metallic they both have metallic flakes in them, so I Don't think I would lose gain by doing it. I bought 2 Quarts of the Silver but I'm just wondering , I'll probably use just the Silver. Glad I asked about the primer I knew that primer probably should be used I just thought it might not make a huge difference. thanks again david

PS Does any one know where to get 2 -3 inch wide Black Velvet I can find 1 inch but I think that the black out really need to be 2 inch minimum. Any where online has it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd test a small spot on your foam board with that Killz to make sure it doesn't react.

I use Killz on metal to prevent rusting.

I don't see why you couldn't use a white indoor water based primer (like Behr).

Also ....

My guess (and that is all it is) is that if you paint your screen solid silver with a roller it is not going to look acceptable when you are done.

I once sprayed a small piece of cardboard with some silver spray paint (from a can). I projected on it, and while it looked bright it also looked like crap. It was too bright and the silver reflected the projector light creating a glare. Also - every imperfection in the surface was apparent.

While I'm hesistant to encourage anyone to read a 25 page thread, you might want to check out at least the first post of the Aluminum paint rolls well thread ...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=267756

Much of the remainder of the thread consists of posts aimed at using the Behr Silver paint you have, but it is applied via spraying on top of a white undercoat and thinned with "Glaze".

If you decide to try rolling it, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HMMMM ....scary. Maybe I should just buy the Goo stuff, I just want a little gain if I'm going to go with a dark color. Right now I'm approaching $200 on DIY materials and for $375 I could have got a HighPower. Nothing would tee me off more than to get the silver pain up and it be to dark or just looked like crap. Then I wasted another $80 that could have went to a Profession Screen. I was hoping to enhance my dark color thats why I didn't go with the High Power to Begin with. I am starting to think more seriously about lighting it up with a 1:1 mix of the Pearl White Metallic though well if I do go ahead I'll let you know. Post on here and other thread scare that begeeses out of me..like..I went rushing back to Matte White ....and such, one reason is because I'm satisfied with my white right now. I just thought I could get better blacks and dark colors. I'm squarely in the since it ain't broke should I fix it dilemma....david

·
Registered
267 Posts
A water based paint should not affect foam board, other than the paper may absorb moisture and swell then flatten out. Kilz is great stuff but has a greater chance of interacting with foam board than water based latex IMHO.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.