AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yamaha htr-6060 (7 X 70 watts I think)and currently I have 2 r30's polk as LR. 2 r15's polk wired in series for the center. And 4 more r15's polk for the back to complete the 7 speakers. I have 2 hsu vtf3-mk2 subwoofers.

I have the yamaha configured for all speakers small in the setup.

I find the center channel weak even though it is at the same spl as the other speakers when running setup pink noise and using a radioshack spl meter.. I listen at -30 db on the receiver for most everything.

Would adding a A-500 power amp help it running the center channel?

Wondering if I could use a y cable and split the preout center from the yamaha and run it to both the left and right input of the A500.Then run the 2 r15's off the power amps left and right channel?

Would it be better to not split the preout and hook the r15's together in a series or parallel arangement and use the A500 as a monoblock?

Or would a A500 poweramp be a waste of money?

The r15's and r30's specs say they are 8ohm compatible but I measured the resistance with a mutimeter and I get 4 ohms.

I am using the 2 r15's layed on their sides to make it look like a regular center channel.

I am using both because they came as a set!

· Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 /forum/post/16849586

I am using the 2 r15's layed on their sides to make it look like a regular center channel. I am using both because they came as a set!
As a general rule, using two Center speakers is regarded as a very bad idea by this forum [and there are numerous threads discussing the problems which may result...]

[However,] One Polk R15 should be fine as the Center in your setup, - which is very similar to mine:

I have a Yamaha HTR-5860 receiver with 2x Yamaha AST-S1 speakers for Mains, plus an Infinity TSS-450SUB. Like you, I have 6x Polk R15 speakers; but mine are arranged as: Center (C), Left Surround (Ls), Center Surround (Cs), Right Surround (Rs), Left Presence (PL), and Right Presence (PR), in a "6.1 + 2x Front Presence" speaker configuration [which gives me better DSP options than you get without the Front Presence speakers].

One significant difference: my Left and Right Mains are driven by a separate two channel [Yamaha AST-A10] amp, so that I have [somewhat] more of the receiver's power available to drive the Center speaker.

[For the record: The first incarnation of this Yamaha HTR-5860 receiver based system in a "6.1 + 2x Front Presence" speaker configuration used 8x Polk R15 speakers plus a Yamaha YST-MSW10 subwoofer. That worked pretty well too!]

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I only use 1 as a center and change my arrangement like yours how do you have the options in precsence set up for the receiver?

Is the dialog lift worth using?

Any downside to 6.1 instead of going 7.1 ?

· Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 /forum/post/16851708

If I only use 1 as a center and change my arrangement like yours how do you have the options in presence set up for the receiver?

Nothing clever; just the defaults to start with. You can change parameters to suit your preferences later...

Quote:

Is the dialog lift worth using?

My L-C-R are all above the display, so I don't use it; many others seem to find it's worth trying. Some of it depends on how much below the screen the center speaker is placed. This is something you would have to evaluate for a specific configuration...

Quote:

Any downside to 6.1 instead of going 7.1?

That depends on your room+speaker geometry and source material...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.