AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
while "active" monitors will work exceedingly well with your PC, they would have to mate with an a/v receiver with individual channel analog "pre-outs". You do not want to push speaker level audio to the amplifier in "active" monitors.

The "passive" version would work well with an a/v receiver using the receiver's built-in amplifiers, but you would then need to add a stereo amplifer to work with a PC, or feed the PC audio output to the HT receiver for amplification.

Behringer monitors are well liked in HT setups where room size does not prove too much of a challange for the speakers size.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I wouldn't use them with a home theater. First the active version (B2031A) with built in amplifiers aren't needed with a receiver that's good enough to have preouts, while the passive version (B2031P) is 4ohm meaning that cheap receivers may not be able to drive them. For most people the smaller 8ohm B2030P combined with a subwoofer is a better choice.

Where these studio monitors really shine is as computer and small room speakers. They are tuned to be dead flat and very listenable up close. I used a set of B2030P (w/receiver and sub) for computer speakers for about a year before upgrading to better speakers.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
All good points.

They are a steal, and either nearfield HT use, or desk-top PC application, the value is hard to ignore. But as stated, filling a room with these would put them at their limits.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.. I was going to use the preouts from my integra receiver to give them signal. I am sitting 13 ft from the front of the speakers so I hope that, with 3 for LCR, they would fit the bill...

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Here's a fun fact, similar Behringers are used in the basement rec room in Estate, in MW-2.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SO I am really stuck on the idea of powered monitors for my LCR's in my Living room/ HT. Can you recommend what would be best? I am currently running some Polk bookshelf speakers are LCR's now, but I assume I an get better SQ out of a pro monitor...

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
What's your budget?

For powered LCRs I'd recomend Mark Seaton's Catalysts. Obviously,..they are expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts