AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching a subwoofer upgrade path (currently Ascendant Avalanche in ~6 cuft @ 18hz with BASH 300w plate amp) and was waffling between doing a driver upgrade or amp upgrade first. I was leaning towards driver(s) and possibly rebuilding my enclosure, but came across an amp deal and jumped on it. What I picked up isn't quite the known quantity of an iNuke or NX, but it seems to share some of the same lineage.

What I came across is a Behringer Eurocom AX6220. From what I can tell, it's Class H instead of Class D but has the same DSP functionality as the iNuke DSP series. The closest analog I can see to the amplification portion is the EuroPower EPX2800, which it seems to match in regards to published specification. I was able to grab it used (in slightly rough physical condition) for around $100 shipped with Square Trade warranty, so it seemed worth the gamble. If it will do even 1/3 its rated power at 4ohm bridged from 15-100hz, it will be more than enough for my current application... and 1/2 its rated power in 4ohm stereo would be enough for any expansion contingency. Based on how some of the iNukes and EPs have measured, this is pretty much what I'm expecting it to actually deliver.

One thing I noticed it two fans instead of one that most of the more commonly used Behringers have. I'm guessing that either they're running at half the speed of a single fan and quieter, or they're going to be extremely loud and require some modification... we'll see which holds true.

Is anyone familiar with the Eurocom AX6220/6240? Anything I should be aware of? Any gotchas? I've linked to the discontinued Parts Express listing page, manual, and spec sheet, but the long and short of it is (per Behringer):

• Switch-Mode Power technology provides up to 73% power efficiency to reduce power consumption
  • Dual-channel power amplifier designed for continuous operation
  • Two transformerless, cool-running Class-H amplifiers drive low-impedance loads down to 2 Ω
  • The 24 bit/96 kHz DSP section features delay, crossover, EQ (8 parametric, 2 dynamic), dynamics processing and lockable security settings
  • Front panel LCD display enables setup and adjustment without use of a PC
  • Can be set up, controlled and monitored through standard Ethernet network or panel USB connector
  • Two line level inputs via 3-pin Euroblock or XLR/TRS combination connectors
  • Front panel VU metering, mute indication, system fault, over-current or overdrive indicators and illuminated master volume ring with clipping indication
  • Limiters on all output channels with independent DC and thermal overload protection automatically protects amplifier and speakers

• 480 w per channel @ 8 Ω stereo @ peak, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 900 w per channel @ 4 Ω stereo @ peak, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 1400 w per channel @ 2 Ω stereo @ peak, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 1750 w per channel @ 8 Ω bridged @ peak, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 2600 w per channel @ 4 Ω bridged @ peak, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 400 w per channel @ 8 Ω stereo @ rms, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 650 w per channel @ 4 Ω stereo @ rms, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 1000 w per channel @ 2 Ω stereo @ rms, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 1300 w per channel @ 8 Ω bridged mono @ rms, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave
  • 2000 w per channel @ 4 Ω bridged mono @ rms, 1% thd, 1 kHz sine wave

Parts Express Product Listing

B&H Product Listing

Spec Sheet

Quick Start Guide

Attachments

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been a while since my original post, so I thought I'd follow-up. I got my rough-but-functioning $100 AX6220 in and it sat for around a month while I got around to building an enclosure (I ended up getting a used UM15 for $125 locally, so it worked out that I was able to do both upgrades at once). After building the UM15 enclosure (~12cuft, ~18hz), I fired up the AX6220 and was extremely impressed with the combination. I was not able to get the USB port on the amp working (windows sees SOMETHING is there but can't tell what) but importing REW filters manually wasn't terribly difficult, so I didn't spend much time investigating. The AX6220 also has the ability to do filter entry over Ethernet. I haven't tried that yet but longterm that may be the better method anyway.

As for power, in bridged mode driving a single ported UM15, it seems to be just enough. The driver can, theoretically, handle ~1300w and I've managed to get it to bottom once or twice at reference level with a 16hz high-pass... I'll probably drop that to 18hz and if it still occasionally bottoms, I'll set the power limiter.

For the price paid, I couldn't be happier with the amp... for just the price of a MiniDSP I got a ton of power and DSP for REW. If I hadn't stumbled across this deal first, I may not have jumped on the used UM15 because I wouldn't have had sufficient power to make it worthwhile. At the time I purchased (7 months ago) there were also some refurbished AX6240s available on eBay in the ~$250 range, but those seem to be long gone. Since it's not readily available, this rundown may not help anyone... but if you're hunting for an NX3000 alternative, it's at least worth a tertiary search for AX6220 and AX6240 to see if something happens to pop up.

Reactions: Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a while since my original post, so I thought I'd follow-up. I got my rough-but-functioning $100 AX6220 in and it sat for around a month while I got around to building an enclosure (I ended up getting a used UM15 for $125 locally, so it worked out that I was able to do both upgrades at once). After building the UM15 enclosure (~12cuft, ~18hz), I fired up the AX6220 and was extremely impressed with the combination. I was not able to get the USB port on the amp working (windows sees SOMETHING is there but can't tell what) but importing REW filters manually wasn't terribly difficult, so I didn't spend much time investigating. The AX6220 also has the ability to do filter entry over Ethernet. I haven't tried that yet but longterm that may be the better method anyway.

As for power, in bridged mode driving a single ported UM15, it seems to be just enough. The driver can, theoretically, handle ~1300w and I've managed to get it to bottom once or twice at reference level with a 16hz high-pass... I'll probably drop that to 18hz and if it still occasionally bottoms, I'll set the power limiter.

I will say the only downside is the dual fans are like LEAF BLOWERS! I've picked up a pair of quieter 24v fans but still haven't modded them in. The amp is behind a shelf in a dormer and audible with nothing else on in the room, but with the projector on it's not noticeable when in use. If I had it in my equipment rack or somewhere else where its noise wasn't obscured, the fan mod would have been performed on day 1.

For the price paid, I couldn't be happier with the amp... for just the price of a MiniDSP I got a ton of power and DSP for REW. If I hadn't stumbled across this deal first, I may not have jumped on the used UM15 because I wouldn't have had sufficient power to make it worthwhile. At the time I purchased (7 months ago) there were also some refurbished AX6240s available on eBay in the ~$250 range, but those seem to be long gone. Since it's not readily available, this rundown may not help anyone... but if you're hunting for an NX3000 alternative, it's at least worth a tertiary search for AX6220 and AX6240 to see if something happens to pop up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you had any luck finding the remote software? the link on behringers website is broke... I just got one for 300 brand new with a warranty. I like the looks and heft of these amps. The fans are a little noisy but not to bad. They are variable speed at least.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they variable speed? I had no idea... if so, can speed be controlled from the screen/dial, or only through software?

I'm pretty sure the same software used for USB is used for IP control as well... you're just selecting an IP address instead of a USB device... but it's been several months since I've touched the amp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can't find any software for it. if you have a copy of the software could you give me a dropbox or one Drive link or something
Are they variable speed? I had no idea... if so, can speed be controlled from the screen/dial, or only through software?

I'm pretty sure the same software used for USB is used for IP control as well... you're just selecting an IP address instead of a USB device... but it's been several months since I've touched the amp.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm out of town (spring break), but if you PM me next week I'll try to find it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Anyways, I've got an AX6240 currently driving my four UM18s. Works quite nicely. It's not a quiet amp, but I have it installed in another room. I'm honestly not big on "fan mods." These amps were designed for a certain amount of airflow, and you can easily have problems when you don't give them that air.

The ethernet port is a nice addon. Honestly, it's a shame that Behringer doesn't step up their game with their product lineup. They could make some killer products if they actually wanted to. And the AX series is discontinued, so they're not easily found any more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, Thanks, Have you used This software with your AX?I like these amps also. The remote trigger and network as well as usb is nice. Class H is a pllus also. They look nicer than the other Behringer amps too. At least that is what I am told. :) The fan noise is not an issue if it is in a cabinet. At least for me.
Star Sound Audio in Reno has 5 of them left new for 329. If We buy them new do we get the warranty? I need to ask Behringer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, The INuke software doesn't work with my AX. Steve do you think you could look for the original AX software? Hows your build going? I may be able to pull a old harddrive and find the software from the first AX I had... But that is a big maybe...

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have incorrectly assumed the iNuke software worked... I never got the USB port to actually be recognized properly by Windows, so I just assumed the iNuke software wasn't working for that reason. Maybe that was wrong and it would have worked with the correct software installed. I entered my REW filters manually on the front panel and haven't touched them in months, so I can't really help any further.

Contacting Behringer directly, or possibly Parts Express (since they sold these for a short time) might be the best way to get ahold of the correct software. If you do, please report back!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts