AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Too bad it's not a EP4000 for that price as I would like a third.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
great price.

the epx4000 actually looks like an amp on the inside too. :) switch mode power supply instead of a toroidal coil as in the ep4000. the problem is for a little more than a hundred bucks more one can pick up an inuke6000dsp which has twice the power and the slick dsp. maybe this one is being phased out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
great price.

the epx4000 actually looks like an amp on the inside too. :) switch mode power supply instead of a toroidal coil as in the ep4000. the problem is for a little more than a hundred bucks more one can pick up an inuke6000dsp which has twice the power and the slick dsp. maybe this one is being phased out?

They are great performers and the fan swap is relatively easy and the amp becomes almost dead quiet. The front can easily be painted black to match other components.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
great price.

Are these numbers accurate, or are they grossly overrated like the iNukes?

2 x 2000 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 1200 Watts into 4 Ohms; 4000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hmm. Decent power for not a whole lot of cashola. These appear to be QSC GX-series ripoffs; Class H and the front panel is almost identical ( I own a GX5). If you don't need any DSP, this might be the way to go. I mean, $250 shipped for a solid 500 WPC @8 ohms? I've been looking for an excuse to go dedicated amp for the L/C/R.

I have an EP4000 sitting here doing nothing and I've been waiting for them to go on a sale like this so i could go all "old iron" on the cheap for L/C/R. Heck, may have to change direction a bit now. Main thing that concerns me is the fan noise. These have two fans. Are they the hard to find and not cheap 24V variety, or the easily found and cheap 12V variety? My train of thought is: Buy 3 of these, put in cheap, low-speed, quiet fans, run them bridged mono @ 8 ohms with the gain waaaaay down for L/C/R and have massive power on tap for transients but have them run ice-cold during normal viewing.

That's the little fantasy world I'm living in, anyway. Thoughts/answers to the fan question?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hmm. Decent power for not a whole lot of cashola. These appear to be QSC GX-series ripoffs; Class H and the front panel is almost identical ( I own a GX5).
I'd have thought the same but the EPX doesn't seem to have the 4ohm stereo limitation that the gx amps do. Can you pop the hood on your gx so we can compare the two?

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Are these numbers accurate, or are they grossly overrated like the iNukes?

2 x 2000 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 1200 Watts into 4 Ohms; 4000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode)

from the manual:

530 watts into 8 ohms implies about 65 volts rms.

how long it can hold that into various loads depends on the current capability of the amp.

if the amp were not limited by its current capability, power would "double down" as one moved from 8 ohms to 4 ohms and then again from 4 ohms to 2 ohms.

in bridged mode at 1khz, berry is reporting 3000 watts. power into something like a 30hz load would typically be lower, perhaps around 20%, or about 2400 watts.

the heat sinking in the amp looks pretty good, actually, so it may measure close to that number. of course how close and for how long would require measuring.

I'd probably discount that number just a bit and think of the epx4000 as about a 2200 "real" watt amp for bass content.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
So assuming I'm running 2 SI HT18's in 4cu sealed boxes.

NU6000DSP for $399

Or

EPX4000+Minidsp for $350ish

What the better choice?
My opinion

If only one amp and running dual 2ohm voice coil config (4ohm each sub)

Get the iNuke. More power, and it's all in one, no signal noise introduction, one stop shop. (The detrement in the iNuke choice is less ability to tune FR below 20hz with iNuke --- it's still possible, but you have to employ tricks --- see LTD02's thread on the matter with DCX 2496 -- the same principles apply).

If going to run multiple amps - then the minidsp, because you'll get in a situation like me where you have three iNuke's to interface with and it's a hassle to make EQ changes because you can only do it one amp at a time. In hindsight I probably should have bought the non DSP version of the iNuke 6000 and used a minidsp so I could make global DSP changes more easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, I kinda figured as much, no free lunch. And I bet the Inuke would be a bit nicer to my electricity bill as well.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
for quite some time, i have been at a loss as to why there isn't anybody measuring amps as a service. then i found this.

it appears that pro-amp power amps are only a $150 million market and dwindling (probably because class d powered speakers are so much more convenient for so many who previously purchases 'separates'). that is about an order of magnitude smaller than i would have guessed and is a TINY market. after considering purchases by the large buyers who have the means to perform their own evaluations, what's left?

edit: source:https://www.namm.org/files/ihdp-vie...B25A95B2CE27A075D3956F/2014MusicUSA_final.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Behringer amps typically put out about 60 to 66% of rated power. EPX is in that same ballpark.
Thank you.

530 watts into 8 ohms implies about 65 volts rms.

how long it can hold that into various loads depends on the current capability of the amp.

if the amp were not limited by its current capability, power would "double down" as one moved from 8 ohms to 4 ohms and then again from 4 ohms to 2 ohms.

in bridged mode at 1khz, berry is reporting 3000 watts. power into something like a 30hz load would typically be lower, perhaps around 20%, or about 2400 watts.

the heat sinking in the amp looks pretty good, actually, so it may measure close to that number. of course how close and for how long would require measuring.

I'd probably discount that number just a bit and think of the epx4000 as about a 2200 "real" watt amp for bass content.

Great info. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts