AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.nbc.com/believe

Levitation, telekinesis, the ability to control nature and even predict the future... Since she was 2 years old, Bo (Johnny Sequoyah) has had gifts she could neither fully understand, nor control. Raised by a small group known as the "True Believers," the orphaned girl has been safeguarded from harmful outsiders who would use her forces for personal gain. But now that she is 10, her powers have become stronger and the threat has grown more dangerous. With her life and future now in jeopardy, the "Believers" turn to the only person they see fit to be her full-time protector. That is, once they break him out of jail. Tate (Jake McLaughlin), a wrongfully imprisoned death row inmate who's lost his will, is initially reluctant until he witnesses one of her extraordinary abilities. Bo sees people for who they truly are... and who they may become. Tate and Bo begin their journey, one in which trust must be earned. Traveling from city to city, every place they stop and everyone they meet will be changed forever. But they'll have to keep going to stay one step ahead of the sinister forces after Bo's power... because it will take a miracle to keep them safe forever. "Believe" also stars Delroy Lindo and Kyle MacLachlan. Writer, director Alfonso Cuaron ("Children of Men," "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"), Mark Friedman ("The Forgotten"), J.J. Abrams ("Revolution," "Star Trek: Into Darkness") and Bryan Burk ("Lost," "Fringe") serve as executive producers. "Believe" is produced by Warner Bros. Television and Bad Robot Productions.

· Arian Moayed as Corey

· Delroy Lindo as Winter

· Jake McLaughlin as Tate

· Jamie Chung as Channing

· Johnny Sequoyah as Bo

· Kyle MacLachlan as Skouras

PREMIERE: Monday, March 10th 9pm EST. USUAL TIMESLOT: Sunday 9pm EST

Forget Abrams, don't make the Whedon/SHIELD mistake and assume he has any big creative involvement because his name is being thrown around again. This is mostly Alfonso Cuaron's show for now. If Cuaron wins an Oscar this weekend it could be a big marketing coup for NBC. As co-creator, co-writer and director of the pilot this might actually be good, but it's hard to tell from the promos, which look like a mashup of every paranormal powers movie ever made. Not to mention that this show is still going to be procedural in that Bo is going to be encountering new people to help each week with a bit of arc mythology thrown in.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Seems like the young girl should just join The Tomorrow People clan on The CW....

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I'm in if Cuaron is writing/producing/directing..

Yeah please don't be another "Touch"

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Premiere tonight. Early reviews do not sound promising. Ranging from a "cliche-ridden mess" to "okay" and not much beyond.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The HOTP review post gave it a B+, and I agree, even if Cuaron created it, the cast of the show would make it good or bad, c'mon if The Following can have 3 seasons, maybe this one too

·
Registered
793 Posts
Awful pilot. The wife and I really struggled to watch the whole thing (actually she was begging me to stop it). The lead actor Jake McLaughlin might just be the worst actor I've seen in years. I don't know what Cuaron's role was, but he needs to start walking back his involvement, or they're going to take his Oscar away!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Unimpressed here as well. I'll give it a chance for a couple more episodes though.

I can't help but think of "Touch", which was awful.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I liked it, maybe some people had it with the kid with a special power stuff, but this kid in particular grew on me, yeah the father not so much.

You can clearly see the Cuaron style of directing, first scene is a continuous one, I think that was like 5 mins without a break.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Ahhah, the old twist-the-head-and-break-the-neck ploy in the first two minutes not once but twice and by a woman to boot, tells me all I need to know.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Don't mistake a petite woman not being strong enough to break someone's neck, she kicked some serious rear-behind, even an ex-con's one...

She reminded me of Nikita somehow..

·
Registered
17,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted  /t/1520387/believe-on-nbc-hd#post_24467825

Ahhah, the old twist-the-head-and-break-the-neck ploy in the first two minutes not once but twice and by a woman to boot, tells me all I need to know.
Not to defend the use of a trope, but it should be pointed out that there's a difference between brute force and leverage paired with placing the energy in the right spot. With the right leverage or concentration of energy, it takes very little physical force to move or break something. That's why a nail will break a window when the hammer doesn't - or why a 100 pound woman can land a 250 pound man on the ground.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse  /t/1520387/believe-on-nbc-hd#post_24466917

Awful pilot. The wife and I really struggled to watch the whole thing (actually she was begging me to stop it). The lead actor Jake McLaughlin might just be the worst actor I've seen in years. I don't know what Cuaron's role was, but he needs to start walking back his involvement, or they're going to take his Oscar away!

Agreed. I can already predict the trajectory of this show...the duo travels around, "fixing" a new person(s) every week. Oh the suspense as they are hunted by the bad guys. Of course, an episode or two to show us how the surrogate dad was "framed." Almost as generic as AGENTS OF SHIELD. I think I'll just pass on BELIEVE. (maybe I should have seen RESURRECTION instead?) and stick with A&E's BATES MOTEL and THOSE WHO KILL on Mondays.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1520387/believe-on-nbc-hd#post_24470032

Agreed. I can already predict the trajectory of this show...the duo travels around, "fixing" a new person(s) every week. Oh the suspense as they are hunted by the bad guys. Of course, an episode or two to show us how the surrogate dad was "framed." Almost as generic as AGENTS OF SHIELD. I think I'll just pass on BELIEVE. (maybe I should have seen RESURRECTION instead?) and stick with A&E's BATES MOTEL and THOSE WHO KILL on Mondays.

Resurrection was actually pretty decent...I haven't seen the French series "The Returned", which I thought this was based on, but apparently AMC is doing the American version of THe Returned? If so, 2 very similar shows will be playing at the same time. Regardless, I'll definitely be watching Resurrection for a few more episodes.

·
Premium Member
35,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse  /t/1520387/believe-on-nbc-hd/0_100#post_24470142

Resurrection was actually pretty decent...I haven't seen the French series "The Returned", which I thought this was based on, but apparently AMC is doing the American version of THe Returned? If so, 2 very similar shows will be playing at the same time. Regardless, I'll definitely be watching Resurrection for a few more episodes.
"The Returned", known by it's original French title, "Les Revenants" is airing on Sundance channel. It is the exact same show that has already aired in France and other locations in Europe. "Les Revenants" is based on a 2004 French film called "They Came Back" also know as "Les Revenants" in it's native French.

I'm not sure if "Resurrection" is an English language re-make of " Les Revenants" or not, it appears not to be, likely just a re-imagining of the original story concept.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1520387/believe-on-nbc-hd#post_24469236

Not to defend the use of a trope, but it should be pointed out that there's a difference between brute force and leverage paired with placing the energy in the right spot. With the right leverage or concentration of energy, it takes very little physical force to move or break something. That's why a nail will break a window when the hammer doesn't - or why a 100 pound woman can land a 250 pound man on the ground.

I must live in a different world. While on standby for the Police department working as a Firefighter Paramedic on a incident, I personally witnessed a very upset gentlemen who was under the influence and larger than the female Police officer dare her to "do something"! Standing right by the guy when he stated it. This guy was serious and I have been on very few incidents where the male subject got his hat handed to him by a smaller woman, especially in a fight. There is lack upper body strength period! I gave up when she started the twisting necks, and then later followed up with the twisting moves and kicks. The power female characters I enjoy in television shows and movies are the ones that are subtle yet able to still get their point across in a similar manner but without the over hyping of it..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts