AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm curious if anyone is aware of a solid alternative to Belkin's RemoteTV solution? It allows high-quality (near flawless) wireless transmission of your A/V to a room several yards away. It even allows full remote control of your device through its built-in IR repeater/blaster. Nothing else I've seen really seems to compare to it in terms of price/performance/ease-of-use and easy installation.

Here's a link: http://www.pureav.com/remotetv/

And another to my assessment of the system elsewhere, here on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...hlight=RemoteTV

I've been happily using the system for some months now (use it to wirelessly view/control an E* sat box in our office on our kitchen TV) and think its fantastic, but it seems to be out-of-production (which, in my mind, is a REAL shame and reeks of industry pressures on Belkin to pull the product).

I wanted to set up my parents with this or a similar system to 'throw' their 3rd room sat reciever up to a guest bedroom, but can't find the RemoteTV for sale anywhere familiar nor have I stumbled across another product that delivers the same quality/ease-of-use at a similar price-point.

A Slingbox/Slingcatcher combo might be promising (and provide other functionality) but other than that, I'm not sure of any other solid affordable alternative.

Anyone?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, no one has any suggestions. Seems to me that a high-quality wireless transmission system should be available from more than one vendor. Easy to install, high quality and relatively cheap...what's not to love and why are these not selling like hotcakes? Because nobody in the mainstream knows about them, and if they do, they can't get their hands on them because they're being pulled from the market or marked up somethiing fierce. Very odd.

I'd think that this market seqment would be rife with options. Seems there's web-based streaming or really, really convoluted/technically challenging/installation-intensive and/or expensive solutions available--most of these being computer/network-based. Why no simple $500 or less A/V component style (i.e. plug it in and go) options? Is it the MPAA of the Cable/Sat Co's (i.e. pressure on the CES, no simple mirroring/transmission solutions for the masses--the A/V/Tech geeks and high-end market are small enough not to worry about) or what?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads-up Vin. Too bad they've got the item on 'mark-up' to $499. I think I paid $299 (which is what it SHOULD cost) when I ordered mine from eCost 6 months ago.

Frustrating thing is...it really works well. I just don't understand what's going on w/ this product. Somebody at Belkin or another consumer electronics company should realize there's a market for this kind of product...and really market it. Or, as I've said, there was pressure on Belkin from 3rd parties interested in seeing the solution killed off (those that wished to charge for extra sat/cable boxes, content providers, etc.).

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd seen that RFLink had some other solutions in the works, but wasn't aware of this model. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Belkin, while promising similar functionality (which, I'll admit, always makes me a bit suspicious). Anyone have experience w/ this unit and brand?

Aside from the lack of component/optical inputs/outputs and a described multi-channel auto-config (features in the RemoteTV), I don't see much else to explain the stark difference in price. It looks a bit cheaper in build, but that could be misleading. Interesting find, though. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.