AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good surge protector that would protect my htpc as well as satellite dish equipment. A friend of mine recommended me to purchase the Belkin SurgeMaster II He said he paid $19.99 plus shipping for this item. I mean is it really worth it? I tried looking up a few reviews for this product but could not find any. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
283 Posts
A $20 surge protecter will be about as good as anything you can get at a local hardware store.

It is my understanding (and I am sure that others here will correct me if I am wrong!) that a surge protector's effectiveness is based on the item's joule rating. The higher the number, the better.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Joule rating is a good indicator of protection effectiveness, but I've found the higher the connected equipment warranty, the better the protection (in general). Companies are required to reserve a certain amount of money to cover warranty claims based upon historical claims. The higher the number & the higher the incidence, the more money they must sock away. Thus, if a company has high warranty coverage, they do as much as possible to make sure the equipment doesn't fail and increase the number of payouts (thus increasing their reserve requirement).

Of course, this only applies to reputable companies that actually keep reserves, but at this price point for a surge protector, I would only go with a name you know anyway.

Bottom line: This is a good surge protector at a good price point, and belkin is running a secret 50% of everything on their site ( www.belkin.com ) with coupon code 35491, which makes this a 10 dollar surge protector with an excellent warranty.

Belkin also sells high end equipment racks which this coupon worked for too! I think it's good until the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have always recommended APC products. At $34.99 MSRP, the PRO8TV would be an excellent choice, since it also protects telephone and coaxial RF connections. Additionally, it has a lifetime $75000 equipment protection policy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
hmmm...

The documentation for the Belkin clearly state's it has both telephone protection and two set's of coax connectors for $10 bucks.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it didn't. I was simply stating my preference for APC. I live in the lightning belt and APC has never failed me. I'd gladly spend the extra $24.00 for the peace of mind I get with APC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.