AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone just told me the following information. Can anyone else getting HDTV from Expressvu confirm that all of these channels are up and live?

HDTV on 82 Degree satellite

260 NBC Boston

261 ABC Boston

262 CBS Boston

263 FOX Boston

264 PBS Boston (demo)

265 CityTV HD

266 NBC Seattle

267 ABC Seattle

268 CBS Seattle

269 FOX Seattle

270 PBS Seattle (demo)

280 English PPV

281 French PPV

282 Movie Max

HDTV on 91 Degree satellite

285 Movie Network

286 US Networks shared

287 US Networks shared

291 English PPV

296 French PPV

From what I can tell on their site, this is not true or at least "official". Though having 18 HDTV channels would be spectacular.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application...hdtv_lineup.jsp

Andrew

·
Registered
337 Posts
The channel lineup looks correct. Living in the Southern Province means you should not purchase any PPV movies however. Also without referencing the exact movie channel names, which single hidef movie channel you receive is dependent upon if you signed up for eastern or pacific timezones.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The info is a little off.

- 91 only has 2 active HD channels, and they are only a combination of the HD on 82.

- HDTV on 91 will be shut down this fall.

- That leaves 15 digital channels, which are all on 82.

- 263 & 269 are Fox EDTV 16:9 480p, not HDTV.

- 282 is The Movie Network; Movie Max is extinct.

- 283 Movie Central was missing.

- What ExpressVu has right now:

13 HDTV & 2 EDTV on 82

2 HDTV channels on 91, and again these are not unique and will be eliminated this fall.

- Toronto One HD will be added later this year to 82, as will other HD channels.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ken H and other BEV experts;

A few weeks ago I think I recall you posting that the Canadian Gov't was cracking down on new BEV southern province folks....do you know if this is still true/has become true and if so what the broker's are doing? I have scanned all their websites but nothing.....thanks

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
No new info I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Have you tried calling some of the sources - or do you need some names? I bought my BEV 6000 from www.kusat.com. They have an excellent web site and host a very informative forum. I have a Canadian address to use, so didn't need a broker. You might ask them for references, if you don't get a reply here.

There is no problem calling BEV for service, support, etc. from the states IF you call in on their 416 number rather than their 800 number. Many, tho, have their broker handle everything.

I think the major change was that the box has to be activated w. 60 days or so of purchase and you need to give an address when you buy. I don't know any of this first hand.

...mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vermonter

Ken H and other BEV experts;

A few weeks ago I think I recall you posting that the Canadian Gov't was cracking down on new BEV southern province folks

The Canadian government is not cracking down on BCE. It is the other members of Cable/Satellite coalition who are pressuring BCE about Expressvu business practices that can charitably be called "2 faced". A recent Manitoba Court of Appeals contempt of court charge against the lead BCE lawyer (now former BCE lawyer) focussed attention on these Expressvu practices.

Jim Shaw, head of Shaw Communications (Shaw Cable, Cancom, Star Choice) recently appeared on ROB television. Shaw is the 2nd largest signal provider in Canada, Rogers is biggest.

He plainly said that he had no problem with grey or gray market - as long as people are paying for their programming regardless of where they are or who their programmer is.

His problem is with the black market and those who use it as part of their business plan for expansion - Directv and Expressvu being the biggest problems.

·
Registered
576 Posts
quote: Yes, those channels are all up and operational! And the bonus is that so far they're free as long as you have the networks package!

This is not the case as I know it. First of all you do not need the "networks" package to get the HD networks. They are just there for free. Second you can not get the movie central HD channel unless you sub to the "movies" package. And of course All PPV channels are off limits for us southerners.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The channels are there for those who subscribe to the HDTV Preview package, which is free. As JohnA mentioned, there is no need to have the networks or any other package, but of course you must be a subscriber. They aren't free-to-air, so Dishnetwork customers can't point over to 91 and pick them up.

The Movie Central and TMN HD channels are free with a subscription to MC or TMN.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have not been able to find the kusat forums, can someone post a direct link?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thank You.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.