AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the possibility of Dish Network dropping support for the Dish 5000 w/ Modulator setup I was wondering if this receiver can be used with the Canadian ExpressVu system to record HDTV programming?

Anyone?

David.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
According to many, yes it can.

But you'll need to program your own card or hack the system as BEV will not authorize any US based citizen a subscription to their service, nor will it subscribe a US based DishNetwork 5000 receiver if you were located in Canada. In addition, some consider it a violation of the DMCA law in the US to hack any DBS signal in the USA even if that DBS signal is not really legal in the USA itself. Of course this has never been tested in the courts and you'll find just as many people who will argue that it is perfectly legal to hack a DBS signal that is not legal in the USA.

Confused? Well, the bottom line is, Yes it is technically possible but with all the controversy on the legal side of this, you won't find the path to getting any foreign DBS service like BEV or Star Choice easy and it is especially difficult to do it with US DishNetwork hardware.

And, please don't e-mail me for sources on how to do this. I don't do it but do know how to read and since you have the internet and can read, do your own search to learn how easy or difficult it may be for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.