1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed at my local video store today they

had a dvd with two of the old Bell Labs Science Series

"Our Mr Sun" and "The Strange case of the Cosmic

Rays" both of these were done by Frank Capra.

I used to love renting the 16mm prints

from the local phone company office when I was

a kid. Anyone seen the disks yet? They"re by

Rhino so I guess they should be at least

watchable? I would have bought the disk today but I was allready over my disk limit for the week :(

thanks,

j

I hope they also put out "The Restless Sea" (done by Disney) hosted by Sterling Holloway.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Hemo the Magnificent- about the circulatory system- was really good too. Wasn't Gateways to the Mind one as well? And there was one about the weather- was it The Unchained Goddess? There are a number of them and I'd love to see them all again.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I watched Mr. Sun and Strange yesterday.

The transfers are OK, but there are issues with fading of what appears to be the original elements.

It looks to me like a mix of IB Tech and Eastman sources were used. Some scenes have grat color, others are faded or just plain red.

Still a worth while invenstment, brought back memories of high school.

Vern Dias

·
23,032 Posts
No way! :) I remember these from grade school assemblies when

they showed the movies. I had to lookup the "assistant's" name

on IMDB - Sterling Holloway. Talk about bringing back some

old memories...

larry

·
Registered
770 Posts
I loved these movies way back when, so I guess I'll start looking for the dvds now. They were actually good intros to classical music and it took a while to identify the selections used as background music. They turned out to be warhorses everyone knows now. JR

·
Registered
728 Posts
The best Bell Labs film was actually the spoof done in "The President's Analyst". When I first saw it as a kid, it was howlingly funny. And it still is today, _especially_ since we are that much closer to actually having the technology... and the society...

"Can you imagine the ease, the fun, with which you can place a call? Why all you have to do is think the number of the person you wish to speak to and you're in instant communication -- anywhere in the world.... Congress will have to pass a law substituting personal numbers for names as the only legal identification, and requiring a pre-natal insertion of the Cerebrum Communicator. Then a communication tax could be levied and paid directly to The Phone Company."

Alas, for various silly reasons, "The President's Analyst" is still not out on DVD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.