AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charter for us dropped ABC (WFAA owned by Belo) because Belo wanted to start charging Charter a fee to be able to broadcast the HD signal even though it's free OTA. I'm curious to know if Belo is pulling this BS in other markets.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKritter /forum/post/0

Charter for us dropped ABC (WFAA owned by Belo) because Belo wanted to start charging Charter a fee to be able to broadcast the HD signal even though it's free OTA. I'm curious to know if Belo is pulling this BS in other markets.

That aren't pulling BS - only getting what they are due, just as every network affiliate in america is beginning to do as the contracts come up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong here but do the affiliates charge the local cable companies a fee to carry their signal now? Not that I'm aware of and given the fact that the FCC is mandating all signal switch to digital why should it be any different?

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but do the affiliates charge the local cable companies a fee to carry their signal now? Not that I'm aware of and given the fact that the FCC is mandating all signal switch to digital why should it be any different?

Read the Sinclair thread - Time Warner just did a deal with Sinclair - and FOX and CBS are both demanding payment when their retransmission deals come up - as they should.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Belo has two stations in Phoenix, the CW station is carried in HD on cable and the independent station is not. The independent has diamondbacks games in HD, and some think its not carried because they want cash.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:

OMG, Belo is causing absolute HELL down here for WWL which is the CBS affiliate.

The contract between Cox and WWL is up on the 31st of Jan...well guess, what....Cox is refusing to budge and Belo/WWL is refusing to allow them to broadcast CBS unless they pay them. Cox is very stubborn too so I dont see them budging.

Well, guess what channel the Super Bowl is on the first week of Feb? CBS

So...its causing people to flip out since most of New Orleans has Cox....

Thankfully, I have D* but its hilarious seeing/hearing 3/4 of the city go biserk over not having the Super Bowl in their homes with the Saints in it.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
The Belo owned WCNC Charlotte is also off TWC.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
If a station is "free", over-the-air, then put up an antenna and watch them for free

But, as long as a competitor (and, we all know that every entity is now a "competitor", trying to woo you...and your wallet....to their fold) is using programming....especially HD programming....to bring in customers, they should have to pay something for it. You want the convenience of Cable or satellite without having to install an antenna, you pay Cable or sat for that. They, in turn, have to pay their "suppliers" for product.

I can't believe how gullible people are, when the Cable and sat companies feed them a line!

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIBB43 /forum/post/0

When will WFAA begin to transmit in HD

WFAA was one of the first (if not the first) stations to transmit in HD in the area. If you mean when will they produce local content such as news bulletins in HD who knows. Do you really want to see Dale Hansen in HD anyway?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansDawg /forum/post/0

OMG, Belo is causing absolute HELL down here for WWL which is the CBS affiliate.

The contract between Cox and WWL is up on the 31st of Jan...well guess, what....Cox is refusing to budge and Belo/WWL is refusing to allow them to broadcast CBS unless they pay them. Cox is very stubborn too so I dont see them budging.

Well, guess what channel the Super Bowl is on the first week of Feb? CBS

So...its causing people to flip out since most of New Orleans has Cox....

Thankfully, I have D* but its hilarious seeing/hearing 3/4 of the city go biserk over not having the Super Bowl in their homes with the Saints in it.

I guess the women in New Orleans will really be upset if they can't see Tom Brady in HD.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/0

The Belo owned WCNC Charlotte is also off TWC.

I've seen only references to WCNC being pulled off Charter, which serves the outlying towns of Boone and Hickory, but not Charlotte itself. I don't see anything in the Charlotte TWC thread about WCNC disappearing.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Wonder is this stuff is also effecting DirecTV's carrying of Belo's HD channels? Yesterday, KVUE-DT in Austin started to show just a black screen, not the D* Technical Problem slide. I called D* and they said they would look into it, still down this morning.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/0

I've seen only references to WCNC being pulled off Charter, which serves the outlying towns of Boone and Hickory, but not Charlotte itself. I don't see anything in the Charlotte TWC thread about WCNC disappearing.

I live in the Lenoir area, which is between Hickory and Boone. When I noticed it was off the air, I called WCNC and the station manager stated it was a problem with Charter. I do not believe that TWC in Charlotte is affected. I am too far away from Charlotte to be able to pull that OTA, so I am pretty much screwed. Charter is not willing to budge on this at all...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMorrison /forum/post/0

WFAA was one of the first (if not the first) stations to transmit in HD in the area. If you mean when will they produce local content such as news bulletins in HD who knows. Do you really want to see Dale Hansen in HD anyway?

would any TX FiOS subs confirm that WFAA-DT is still on FiOS TV? according to the Verizon website it is. reason is FiOS TV has just been launched in Va. Beach, VA but only has CBS & PBS in HD-for now. deal has been struck with Lin Broadcasting(owner of our NBC & FOX affiliates) now trying to see if Belo & Vz have or soon will come to terms.

D* & E* do not yet offer HD locals here so can't help anyone re: D* or E* carriage of Belo digital signals.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/0

If a station is "free", over-the-air, then put up an antenna and watch them for free

But, as long as a competitor (and, we all know that every entity is now a "competitor", trying to woo you...and your wallet....to their fold) is using programming....especially HD programming....to bring in customers, they should have to pay something for it. You want the convenience of Cable or satellite without having to install an antenna, you pay Cable or sat for that. They, in turn, have to pay their "suppliers" for product.

I can't believe how gullible people are, when the Cable and sat companies feed them a line!

I always thought that the relationship between local broadcasters and cable was a somewhat "symbiotic" relationship. The cable company increased the range of an off-air signal and made it easier for subscribers to receive the major networks, and the broadcaster was able to charge more for ads.

I believe that comparing an off-air affiliate to a cable station is somewhat innaccurate. Cable companies do pay money to programmers (ie, ESPN and CNN) they are able to run local ads on these channels and offset some of the costs and pass the remainder to the subscribers. I do not believe local broadcasters would let cable companies insert local ads in their signals.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think I should have to pay for anything available for free over the air. I realize some of my monthly charge is probably paying for those channels but I bet that if we have to start paying for the HD networks, my bill will go up again.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAUS_Todd /forum/post/0

I always thought that the relationship between local broadcasters and cable was a somewhat "symbiotic" relationship. The cable company increased the range of an off-air signal and made it easier for subscribers to receive the major networks, and the broadcaster was able to charge more for ads.

I believe that comparing an off-air affiliate to a cable station is somewhat innaccurate. Cable companies do pay money to programmers (ie, ESPN and CNN) they are able to run local ads on these channels and offset some of the costs and pass the remainder to the subscribers. I do not believe local broadcasters would let cable companies insert local ads in their signals.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think I should have to pay for anything available for free over the air. I realize some of my monthly charge is probably paying for those channels but I bet that if we have to start paying for the HD networks, my bill will go up again.

Such is life.

People want the OTA stations - cable would loose tremendous subs to DBS and FIOS without it.

HBO and HDNET - as well as UniversalHD does not give cable the ability to run ads. If cable wanted to run ads most likely OTA TV Stations would cut them a deal to be able to do so out of their promo time - and the OTA station would cost about $50 a month per station based on viewership - something that the cable company would never agree to.

Again, HBO, CNN, ESPN, HDNET etc all use more bandwidth that an OTA TV Station and pay no spectrum fee. They use the public airways.

Just because you could download songs from Napster 10 years ago for free, doesn't mean it always remains that way.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAUS_Todd /forum/post/0

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think I should have to pay for anything available for free over the air.

You don't have to if you get it over the air. The issue isn't whether you should pay, it's whether the cableco should pay the content owner for programming they are profitting from.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.