Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just ran across this (URL below) from a listserv I belong to. Here's a little text from the article:

"HQV Benchmark Now Available to Consumers

By Scott Wilkinson

August 22, 2005 — Silicon Optix, a leading developer of video-processing technology, has now made its HQV Benchmark test DVD available to consumers. HQV Benchmark lets anyone objectively evaluate the picture quality of various video products, including HDTVs, DVD players, and video scalers before the purchase.

"Many consumers who purchase HDTVs bring them home only to be disappointed with the picture quality," said Dennis Crespo, VP of marketing for Silicon Optix. "The reason for this disappointment is that, although the age of HDTV is upon us, most of the available video, such as DVD and broadcast, is still being delivered in standard definition."

-------------

If you use the coupon you can get $10 off. It looks like it might be a great tool for folks to take with them to stores and test the quality of a set their considering buying, and for others to see how their set matches up to the test criteria. Those involved in making the DVD seem to be the right folks.

Here's the URL for the article:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/082205HQV/

Here's the URL for the Benchmark DVD:
http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

Cheers! ;)

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but not a single store i went to is able or willing to let a customer play a DVD on their display TVs (CC, BB, GG, Ken Crane, A/V Center, etc).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here in soon to be chilly Minnesota...all the major stores allow me to play my own DVD's and they are very nice about it. Actually at Circuit City where I checked out the Panny plasmas and sony XBR960 they actually told me to bring in my own DVD player and try it with all the displays I wanted to try out. The employees there were curious how each display would look like with a higher end Denon 2910 player. I tested 5th Element Superbit and Lord of the Rings 3. But I've been able to play my own DVD's at BB, Ultimate Electronics, B&O, and everywhere between and every salesperson has been very nice about it.

Maybe it's just the "Minnesota Nice" thing

Cheers

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I would not buy from a reseller that refused to allow me to try my own media on sets I was looking at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.