Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Someone mentioned that I should use a Y cable with two male and one female RCA jack to split my subwoofer cable plugging into the two jacks on the back of the Sub from the one sub out jack on my reciever....

Just wondering what benefit one sees from this over simply using the one standard cable...the person mentioned that you got a subwoofer that would always produce bass instead of cut off at certain volumes...

the reciever is a HK AVR 235 and the Sub is a Velo VRP 1000,thanks

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
nominally the Y will do nothing, since your Left and Right LFE inputs on your sub are likely summed to one signal by the sub anyway before amplification.

All that you end up with is to likely turn the gain knob on your sub amp down a little since the line signal it is getting is higher after the "summing". But since the line signal is higher, you really are not getting any real headroom or gain out of your amp.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Matt I disagree with Jeffy. As I said on another thread; You are just raising the subs output level at a GIVEN VOLUME. For example, if you have your receivers volume setting set at -40db and the line level output is at 0 it means that they are both at equal levels. Without the Y connector your splitting the signal at the subs input and the line level now at the sub is down 3db. That means your subs line level output at that volume(-40db) would be 3db lower or half of what it should be. With the Y connector there would be no signal loss and the more output you have particularly at lower volume levels the sooner the sub will turn on, that is why many manufactures like JBL recommend a Y hookup in their owners manual.

Ian

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I follow Ian (and M&K) on my 3 subs by using sum adapters for the added 3dB. In a world of doubling wattage to gain 3dB, you need to do what you can for the added headroom and output.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
but your not adding headroom or output, your only manipulating attenuation.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
To attenuate is to make less loud, the gain in 3dB in output is the main benefit of a sum adapter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathew J
Hello,

the reciever is a HK AVR 235 and the Sub is a Velo VRP 1000,thanks

Hey, I got the AVR235, too....not quite sure how to hook up a sub WITHOUT using the 'Y' cable :) You just used 1 of the lines on the back of the sub (left or right?)? I am using a Polk PSW10 and it doesn't have the one LFE jack....

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
To attenuate is to make less loud, the gain in 3dB in output is the main benefit of a sum adapter.
Thanks for that definition guy, ;) but my point was that the gain from the silly y thingy doesn't magically improve my subs output. My dvd player has a +10 db sub setting but that doesn't mean I get 128db output at 18Hz.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Hey guys it is VERY simple, if you split the signal at the sub you will

cut it in half because you have ONE output going into just ONE input instead of TWO, thats why we use Y adaptors. Cheers.

Ian

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I found this on Velodyne's offical web site:

How do I hook up Velodyne subwoofers to my single (mono) sub out jack?

The signal sensitivity of the auto on/off circuit can be altered by the input hookup. If you use both inputs (connected by a "Y" cable or splitter cable) the unit will see greater signal at the inputs and turn on at a lower signal level. With only one input connected the unit will require greater signal levels to turn on automatically.

© 2004 Velodyne Acoustics, Inc. | Unauthorized Dealers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement

Factory TourMgmt TeamFact SheetMilestonesCHT-R SeriesDeco SystemDigital Drive 1812Digital Drive SeriesDLS-R SeriesDPS SeriesHGS-X SeriesSPL Series IIVRP SeriesVX-10Discontinued ProductsClose-OutFind a ProductChoosing a SubGlossaryFAQsWhite PapersPress ReleasesProduct PhotosEventsReviews/AwardsWarranty Regist.ManualsDiscontinued ProductsSoftware UpdatesSite MapUnited StatesCanadaInternational

Cheers.

Ian

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mailiang
Matt I disagree with Jeffy.
I've never tried it myself but I know some people who have and they say it degraded sound quality. I've also heared some positive results.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
If it degraded sound quality it was either installed wrong or more likely

a cheap splitter. Make sure you use a good quality one. I use Monster

but I get deep discounts. The Radio Shack gold series is pretty inexpensive

and is just as good. Cheers.

Ian

·
Registered
748 Posts
When I bought my first sub, I had a mono cable going into it. I then decided to use a y-adaptor and I thought it made alot of difference. The current cable I am using from tributaries had one rca end and two at the other end, so you don't have to use a adaptor. I am running a SVS PB12/isd and it sounds great, even though the SVS instruction manual says use a mono sub cable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can vouch for the Velodyne response that ian posted. Using single connection, at lower volume levels my sub would not recognize signal in auto-on mode and would turn off (never a problem when approaching reference level). Using a Y splitter solved that problem by giving more signal so if there was a small amount of LFE the sub would notice.

As for sound quality, didn't notice any difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.