Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I was just wondering what were all the benefits of having a Panamorph Lens?? In what ways is it different than say the ISCO I and II?? How much are they and why do I get the idea they are next to impossible to get???????

Also, I will be using a G15, would it be best to use the ISCO II or can I somehow use both???

Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Panamorph squishes top/bottom while Isco I or II stretches the sides both giving 16:9 image out of 4:3 panels. Your DVD player or DILA will strech the 16:9 original image to use entire 4:3 panel for more light and more resolution. The lens then optically alter the image back to normal 16:9. Otherwise 16:9 image only uses a portion of the 4:3 panel. As far as why Panamorph is so difficult to get, ask Shawn Kelly. Your guess is as good as any. The main reason is supply and demand (low supply and high demand) and a small, poor-customer service company. Reviewers lean slightly more towards Panamorph for a smoother, brighter, higher resolution, and less distorted image over the Isco series (I was the older series and II has better imaging). Panamorph pricing is variable ($600 prebuy 15 months ago, $1100 prebuy 12 months ago, $1500 slightly used, or $1700 new ($2K retail)). Isco I is around 1K used and II is $2K new. The concensus is Isco II is easier to buy with better service as Panamorph complaint/waiting list is growing wildly. For the money you spent on your DILA, anamorphinc lens may be worth it. For us po-folks, 2.5K projector and 2K lens does not make sense when you can buy new and better 16:9 LCD (Sanyo PLV-60HT for $4500) for about the same.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
First the ISCO II has less distortion than its predecessor. Secondly it can be had for far less than 2k, check with AVS.

Thirdly, I think that a 16:9 LCD superiority over an LT150 with anamorphic lens is subjective. I personally think the DLP is better because of black level, no screen door, and greater contrast level. My combination was less than $3300

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how does the "distortion" caused by the ISCO I or II manifest itself??? Is it a graininess or digital artifacting... I despise artifacting!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I haven't really seen the ISCO I. I have an artifact free image but there is some picushion distortion. I mask the screen so it is not very noticable. The pincushion is more obvious on an offset projector, the G15 is on axis and shouldn't be a problem. Dean McManis has a G15 (or G20) with the ISCO I and the reports are raves over his picture quality.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by King Rygar:
Hi there!

I was just wondering what were all the benefits of having a Panamorph Lens??
Being one of a VERY small group of people which currently own one!

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So there wouldn't be pincushion distortion with the ISCO II and the JVC G15??? How do these lenses attach to the G15????

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hi King,

here is a picture of the lens in front of floor/table mounted PJ
http://www.visr.com/images/pan5a.jpg

Click
here to download the PDF for the panamorph.

I would do a search for the setup parameters for the panamorph in this forum. There is a vertical offset and calculator to determine whether it will work for you. You do need space in front of your projector, and for a ceiling mounted projector the inferior portion of the lens will likely be 4-5 inches below the bottom of the lens to minimize pincushioning distortion and allow for a true 1.78 AR.

------------------

Don O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.