AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, excuse the newbie question, but why do people buy the gigantic CRT projectors when much smaller LCD and DLP projectors are out there? My budget is only $2000-2500 and i'm trying to figure out what kind of projector will give me a bigger bang for my buck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
CRT projector produced much more film like picture with deeper black color and free of dots/pixel that are presence in LCD and DLP projector.

If you get used to CRT picture quality, it would be hard to accept the LCD or DLP downfalls.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.. what about price, noise, resolutions?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Noise... it depends on the pj, but you may be sure that the average 3CRT pj normally produces much less noise than a DLP or a LCD

resolutions... it depends on the max horizontal freq. related to the vertical number of lines multiplied by the refresh freq (in progressive scanning). Nomally, a pj capable of 70-80 khz is not very expensive, specially on the used market. It's capable to accept the 4x (NTSC and PAL) signal, notwithstanding you've to consider the size of the tubes, too, in order to obtain a perfect image, in terms of details.

a very high level 7 inches is normally capable to produce a good 3X image (let's say 864P, 50hz for PAL and 720P/60 for NTSC), a good 8 inches is capable to reach the 4x, but only a 9 inches gives a perfect 4x image and an high brightness.

Prices... they depend upon the pj. the 3CRT are normally expensive, when they're new, but on the used market it is not very difficult to approach machines (in good conditions) capable of 80 khz, for 3-4000$. Sometimes it is possible to buy pjs for much less, let's say 500-1k$ too, but you've to be careful with the state and the age of the tubes.

Romano

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Plus you get to be an allumni of the most respected group here on the forum..:D

Seriously, take a $2500.00 used CRT and put a $10K LCD or DLP next to it.

You'll go for the CRT every time.

Curt

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rorox, i don't really understand what all of that means :) Awhile ago, someone told me that if i want a video source that supports PC resolutions, i should go with a projector and not a TV. Aside from DVD's, i will also use the projector to play games using my PC - i will have an HTPC hooked up to my system.

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
Take my word for it. CRTs are large, heavy,often very loud , must be maintained well, require convergence of the CRTs to each other and produce a picture which can not be matched by any lamp technology presently on the market. CRT is still the king ,long live the king! If the ultmate in HT picture quality is your goal then the answer is simple CRT.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok this loudness issue is really bothering me. I'm sure there must be a way to get around it. I know the noise probably isn't noticable most of the time, but some of the coolest scenes in movies are often very silent.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Another big benefit of a CRT projector: thieves are not as likely to steal it, with it's 100-200 pounds lag bolted to the ceiling :D Those little lightweight digital projectors are much easier to carry out of the house...

·
Registered
508 Posts
isn't even loud. Can only tell it's on by getting right up next to it.

I would say if you have ever changed a electrical outlet or light switch, you could work on a used Barco. Many of the parts are modules you snap in and out. What really makes it practical is the user support here. They have helped me numerous times.

I have a beautiful 80" diagonal picture (when in 3:4) and couldn't be happier I sold my Infocuc LP340 which is a very good DLP and bought my used Barco. Ask Curt Palme above for a list of his used projectors. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The fan noise of digital projectors tends to be higher pitched than that of CRT projectors. I notice the noise of my Sony 1252 when I don't have a film playing, but I never notice it during a film, no matter how quiet it gets.

The main benefit of a CRT projector over digital projectors, plasmas, and even direct view CRTs? When properly aligned, a CRT projector displays each pixel as white. Plasma, direct-view LCD and direct-view CRTs have to show a triplet of red, green and blue pixels that your eye integrates into other colors from a distance. DLP and FP LCD display the red, green and blue pixels one at a time and your eye has to integrate them into other colors over time (the well-know rainbow problem).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.