AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're turning one of the rooms in our basement into a theater room...we've got the walls framed and are doing all the speaker/electrical wiring this weekend. Two of the walls are concrete exterior foundation walls that we framed out so we can hang drywall. One of the walls is just a normal stud wall that goes into the rest of basement which is unfinished. The fourth wall is 80% a fireplace that extends straight up into the living room above.

I have a friend who does remodels that guided us through the framing process and he said doing the drywall ourselves isn't worth our time since a good crew can throw it up/sand/texture fast and clean and at a relatively low cost. He did mention that'd we'd wanna put up some sort of batt insulation in the ceiling joists prior to calling in the drywall crew to help with sound upstairs.

While perusing these forums looking at insulation tips (and the main thing with insulation is that normal fiberglass insulation is just as good as rocksul right???) I came across all these other concepts about soundproofing like decoupling and double drywall and such.

I'm not worried about sound carrying into the rest of the basement but I would like to do a decent job on reducing it from going into the room above since it's the living room.

I don't want to go through the $ or effort of trying to decouple (plus it seems like the fireplace would make that really difficult/impossible) but I thought maybe doing double drywall with green glue on the ceiling (plus the insulation) might be worth the $ if it'd help some with the sound escaping.

Is green glue something most drywall crews would be experienced using or would i need to install myself (and just have them sand/texture)?

If i just had this done on the ceiling but not the walls would I be getting any benefit?

Just looking for opinions from the smart folks here.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts
did you consider walling over the fireplace, wouldn't be the first documented here.

Most drywall crews are not familiar with GG, and hanging drywall on clips and channel. Channel yes not the clips and channel. On the jobs I've done with outside crews I supervise the process from beginning to end but by the end of the day usually everyone one on the crew has taken a turn squirting the glue so they can add that to their "resume". They also think GG is a glue. Proper screw length, making sure the dryall doesn't bind against the framing in the wrong places, putting on enough GG, Caulking inside corners between layers and stair stepping the wall/ceiling joint are the key things to verify.

Many guys here have done the research and take the day off to supervise the process themselves.

I do have a bad feeling about the fireplace being a weak link, can you post a picture?

Doing just the ceiling will probably produce very limited benefit as the other walls provide flanking pathways for the sound.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately walling off the fireplace is a no go with the wife...she definitely wants it be a part of the room and usable...she wants to put a gas or wood pellet insert into it.

I'll try and take some pictures this evening.

It's basically a split face CMU floor to ceiling fireplace downstairs in the basement that extends up through the floor into an identical floor to ceiling fireplace in the living room on the main floor. It doesn't run the full length of the back wall but about 75% of it...the rest of the wall is open now to behind the fireplace but has been framed for a 6' section of wall/door to close off that behind the fireplace space for use as a storage room

The room also has 3 doors...one at the base of the stairs that lead to the upstairs living room....one to the previously mentioned storage space and one to the rest of the basement which is just unfinished space at this point.

Anyways, it seems like basically a very horrible space for sound as far as trying to keep it from getting upstairs. It's just me and my wife though so while it'd be nice to try and keep the sound from being really prevalent upstairs in the living room when watching movies it's not an absolute necessity (which is good since it might be impossible). Cost is also a factor naturally....i can bite the bullet and do DD+GG on the ceiling and I guess i can do it on the walls as well if that's what it's going to take to actually make a difference since you mention that sound will just go around the ceiling through the walls. I'll also have solid core doors.

But the elephant in the room is the fireplace....just very curious whether the $ and effort of DD+GG is going to be worth it if sound's just gonna get blasted out the fireplace upstairs.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Is a brick fire place or metal? I think either will transmit a lot of sound, but I can tell you from experience metal is aweful! I actually sealed mine off at the top of the chimney because the wind noise would just howl into the livingroom.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is a brick fire place or metal? I think either will transmit a lot of sound, but I can tell you from experience metal is aweful! I actually sealed mine off at the top of the chimney because the wind noise would just howl into the livingroom.
it's brick fireplace. It was actually a feature that we both liked when we bought the place last year but now that i got the idea to turn that room into a theater it's becoming a pain in the butt...another crappy thing about it is that it basically makes it so i can't do wall mounted rear surrounds if i ever decided to go that route without having wires strewn about.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts
You could build a couple of freestanding columns positioned just ahead of the rear brick wall. Bring the wires down inside. Trick them out with molding and speaker fabric. Match them up design wise with what you might do along the sides.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could build a couple of freestanding columns positioned just ahead of the rear brick wall. Bring the wires down inside. Trick them out with molding and speaker fabric. Match them up design wise with what you might do along the sides.

That's a good idea although more than likely i'll probably just stick to a 5.1.x system. As far as sound treatment do you think i'm screwed with the fireplace? worth the effort to DD+GG the walls/ceiling?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's the layout of the room as well as a picture of the back wall...still probably a couple weeks from starting drywall.....i'm gonna price out what it'd cost to do DD+GG and will then make a decision i suppose on whether it'd be worth the cost and effort with that fireplace and three doors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts