AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of the reasons people put columns in their home theaters are to hide surround speakers, hide HVAC, and to improve the aesthetic beauty of the room. But are there acoustic benefits to having columns? If so, what are those benefits? Do the materials used play a major factor in the acoustic benefits derived (I notice many people use wood on the bottom half of their columns and maybe there is an acoustic reason for doing so)?

How about location of columns...for columns that do not house surround speakers, are they strategically placed to induce a certain acoustic affect? For example, I've noticed some who put a column towards the front of their home theater on each side wall. Are they placed so as to be in the path of first reflections, perhaps to diffuse the sound?

·
Registered
628 Posts
They help with standing waves along long flat walls. Build them to be inert. Use something like mdf or particle board. The wood bottoms you often see are laminate over mdf or particle most of the time. Fill the cavities with insulation so as not to make a drum.

As to positioning of them, I went with form over function but Im sure someone here can give suggestions on proper placement if you are mostly concerned with acoustic tuning.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response CV63. If I were to build columns I would be concerned with both form and function, so it would be important to understand the ideal placement for them as well as the best ways to build them.

Aw, come on...I know there are a lot more of you who have columns in your HTs and I'd love to hear from you...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Scott

After reading a bit about base trap theory, I wonder if denise puts these in rooms for acoustic reasons? The columns would theoretically act as base traps and smooth the base response of the room.

Of course, I'm no Denise Erskine but you now have my opinion ;-)

Denise?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Did Dennis have an operation I didn't hear about?!? :)

The columns can serve a bunch of purposes--they can help break up room modes, hide speakers/HVAC ducting, hide "ugly" things like heimholtz resonators, etc. However, they would only act like a bass trap if specifically designed/built as a bass trap. Or you could hide a bass trap inside a "hollow" fabric column.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good points...thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.