AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4-year old Sony VPL-VW675ES native 4K projector and am wondering if I’d see any worthy benefits from upgrading to a newer, possibly laser-based projector (from Sony or other manufacturer). I ask this, putting the cost of doing so aside. Thanks to anyone who cares to chime-in on this admittedly imprecise question!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I’m in almost the same exact boat. I have a VPL-VW665ES and am itching to upgrade. I feel like I got it at the bleeding edge of 4K HDR and I’m noticing there are formats it does not support. I’m kind of eyeing the 715ES and wondering if it would be worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I have a 4-year old Sony VPL-VW675ES native 4K projector and am wondering if I’d see any worthy benefits from upgrading to a newer, possibly laser-based projector (from Sony or other manufacturer). I ask this, putting the cost of doing so aside. Thanks to anyone who cares to chime-in on this admittedly imprecise question!
If you game, or are increasingly watching more 4K material on streaming services, then yes an upgrade will be worth it due to the 675's woeful handling of HFR HDR.

Reactions: ThoughtCriminal

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I’m in almost the same exact boat. I have a VPL-VW665ES and am itching to upgrade. I feel like I got it at the bleeding edge of 4K HDR and I’m noticing there are formats it does not support. I’m kind of eyeing the 715ES and wondering if it would be worth the upgrade.
With the 715, you will gain full 18Gbps HDMI and more HDR compatibility (HLG) and a few other features, such as DFO and auto switching between SDR and HDR.
So if you can justify the cost to change, then it won't really look much different (notwithstanding any contrast loss you may have suffered) but is worth the upgrade for the better processing (X1) and extra features.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you game, or are increasingly watching more 4K material on streaming services, then yes an upgrade will be worth it due to the 675's woeful handling of HFR HDR.
Yeah - I have noticed the HDR frequently seems either washed out or over-contrasts….

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I have settled on moving up to the Sony VW915ES. I’m probably being overly-swayed by the benefits of laser, but currently it seems the most future-proof. Alternatively, I guess I could wait 6 months and see if JVC comes up with a direct competitor.

·
Registered
30,972 Posts
I think I have settled on moving up to the Sony VW915ES. I’m probably being overly-swayed by the benefits of laser, but currently it seems the most future-proof. Alternatively, I guess I could wait 6 months and see if JVC comes up with a direct competitor.
How many hours a year do you typically put on your projector? What size and gain screen?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Laser=super stable image with punchy colours. (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many hours a year do you typically put on your projector? What size and gain screen?
It looks like the projector is used about 900 hours/year (admittedly heavy use during COVID).

My screen is 12’ diameter; unfortunately, I do not know the gain of the screen since it came with the house. (Brand is EliteScreena).

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
30,972 Posts
It looks like the projector is used about 900 hours/year (admittedly heavy use during COVID).

My screen is 12’ diameter; unfortunately, I do not know the gain of the screen since it came with the house. (Brand is EliteScreena).

Thanks for your thoughts!
Probably 1.0 to 1.1 gain. I would probably go with a lamp based projector and use the cost savings to buy a good screen with 1.3 gain. You would be able to do that with an RS3000, RS2000 or VW715 vs the VW915. With the RS2000 you would have enough to also buy many spare lamps along with the screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These forums are fascinating to read...and read...and read. Now that I’m convinced an upgrade from my Sony VW657 is needed, I have come to some general conclusions, from an educated neophyte, for those willing:

[1] Sony VW715 vs VW915: 90+% of the difference is “just” the laser; benefit being primarily no bulb replacement and more stable calibration; Marginal picture quality improvements, But is the no-bulb convenience worth the extra $10K?

[2] The JVC NX 7 vs the NX9: Seems like the 8K pixel shift tech is the main differentiator. Seems like this provides some improvement in SD quality, but seems more like a marketing win than a huge picture improvement. Other than that, there are modest upgrades in brightness, contrast, and lens quality. Again, for $10K more.

[3] So if the above are generally correct, I’m left with deciding between the VW715 vs NX7 and VW915 vs NX9. Ignoring the price differences, this is where I’m stuck. If I’m willing to spend~$20K I’m leaning toward the Sony because laser beams; if the extra $10 isn’t “worth it”, I’m thinking the NX7 is the way to go.

(My theater dimensions: 13.5’w x 23.5’d x 8’h. Main seating area is. 13.5 feet from the screen which is 12’ diagonal and probably 1:1, 1:2 gain). Room can get 98% dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Laser all the way for me. Can't go back to bulbs now.
Image is rock style and stable. Colours are amazing, superb brightness belied by the specs. Seems brighter.
As for your choice, well the NX7 represents best value for money, which is a big thing for me, but not the big spenders on here it would seem. ;)
I think the extra for the (admittedly superb) lens on the nx9 is not worth it over the 915 (same with the 1025).
And 8k e-shift? Gimmick. Forget about it.
If you can afford it, I would go 915 myself......
If not the NX7 is the one to go for I think.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
These forums are fascinating to read...and read...and read. Now that I’m convinced an upgrade from my Sony VW657 is needed, I have come to some general conclusions, from an educated neophyte, for those willing:

[1] Sony VW715 vs VW915: 90+% of the difference is “just” the laser; benefit being primarily no bulb replacement and more stable calibration; Marginal picture quality improvements, But is the no-bulb convenience worth the extra $10K?

[2] The JVC NX 7 vs the NX9: Seems like the 8K pixel shift tech is the main differentiator. Seems like this provides some improvement in SD quality, but seems more like a marketing win than a huge picture improvement. Other than that, there are modest upgrades in brightness, contrast, and lens quality. Again, for $10K more.

[3] So if the above are generally correct, I’m left with deciding between the VW715 vs NX7 and VW915 vs NX9. Ignoring the price differences, this is where I’m stuck. If I’m willing to spend~$20K I’m leaning toward the Sony because laser beams; if the extra $10 isn’t “worth it”, I’m thinking the NX7 is the way to go.

(My theater dimensions: 13.5’w x 23.5’d x 8’h. Main seating area is. 13.5 feet from the screen which is 12’ diagonal and probably 1:1, 1:2 gain). Room can get 98% dark.
What is the distance between the PJ and screen? It will have a big impact on the image brightness of any of those projectors if they are mounted at the back of a 23' long room.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the same dilemma with my 600es. I got a Radiance Pro which solved the lack of HDR of my projector. Had it professionally calibrated, and now my picture is flipping incredible. I was just wanting laser to want laser until I found out how loud the 915 was. I went and heard it myself and now I’m going to wait. Money is not a problem but I would be gaining hardly anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,972 Posts

Point 1 above: Talk to calibrators that have gone back and recalibrated multiple laser projectors and they will tell you laser projectors drift about as much as lamp based projectors. This has been confirmed for the phosphor based laser projectors like Sony and JVC.

Point 2 above: You buy an RS3000 for the lens, not the 8K E-shift.

Point 3 above: RS2000/NX7 represents the best value. RS3000/NX9 represents the best image. VW915 represents the longest lasting light source. Just make sure that your screen size and gain gives you a lot of overhead for brightness.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm also deciding on our next projector and am leaning towards the N7 with a DCR lens (which works out about the same price as a Sony VW915ES in the UK). That is unless JVC come out with something more tempting when the next iteration are released. As much as laser attracts, it's how pjs handle dark scenes that has always been the biggest issue for me and JVC still seems to trump here. That plus decent handling of HDR content without the need of an external, pricey processor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish I know of a local(ish) place where I could go see these in person. Alas, everyone’s comments are most helpful and appreciated. Such first-world problems to be face with. … 😏

1 - 20 of 33 Posts