AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a problem with my 8700. When I turn the unit on the fans kick in, but it takes about 20 seconds for the bulb to turn on. Has anyone else noticed a long turn on time for this projector?

Let me know.

Andy

·
Registered
986 Posts
that might be a lamp overheat safety item. My nec lt240 did the opposite the fan would not turn on for a couple of minutes, i messed around with the menus there is actually a delay setting in the nec, you can have the fan start first and then the bulb or the other way around. Dont ask me why, it seems like a useless feature.

but hopefully an 8700 user will spot this and let you know what their unit does.

bump

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Andrew,

Mine does the same, so unless we've both got defective machines it's just par for the course. When I hit the power button first comes the fan alone, usually at very low speed with no light output - you can also hear what I presume is the color wheel coming up to speed but that sound then goes away, then a dim white screen with "BenQ" that becomes brighter over the next 15 seconds or so, then green screen or the source input if you've got a source turned on. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds.

I figured it was just the lamp (or other electronics?) getting up to spec brightness and was a little surprized it was needed with a bulb pj. But then again I'm new to bulb pjs.

- Dan

·
Registered
753 Posts
dyna

try breaking the pills in half

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am new to the projector game which is the last item to get to finish off my home theater. A couple of question for those who have Benq 8700.

I watch 50/50 standard cable TV to DVD's. Hope to get HD cable in the New Year.

I have a screen that is 80" x 60" which can be set for 80" X 45". Does the Benq project a image 80" x 60" when it is 4:3 mode or does it adjust to fit into the 80" x 45" size? Need to know as I have a center speaker which may need to be lowered.

Also, because of having to shoot the image under an enclosed a/c duct, my lens to screen distance would be 129". The maximum is 133" for a 92" Dia. screen. Is this getting too close to the end of the throw range?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nigel.

I tried this out on my BenQ.

If you setup so that front of projector is about 132 inches away from screen and zoom all the way out (make screen as small as possible), you can throw a 80X45 inch image in 16:9 mode. If you then zoom all the way in (make screen as big as possible), you can thow a 73X55 inch 4:3 image.

If you want to use all of that 80X60 screen in the 4:3 mode, you will need to place the front of the PJ at least 144 inches away from screen.

Bernie

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks a lot Bernie for that information. So when you near the end of the range i.e. 132", the display and everything else is still okay? I have no problems getting the screen distance to 132".

Only one other thing still holding me up purchasing this Benq is the that the projector will only be 3 feet above our heads. Can the 2 speed changeover fan be that annoying at that distance.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Can you adjust the contrast and brightness of the DVI input of the BenQ 8700?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Jim,

Yes, if you mean do the usual controls work to adjust the picture with DVI input from the D1. Using AVIA, I got a brightness around 18 and contrast no higher than 23 or so, which are well below and above the default settings. Color saturation is also above default a few notches. All these changes lead to a great picture, by the way.

As an alternate method, I tried using the individual RGB (and Y), having read a comment from Bob Williams about CCIR color from the D1 and how, with the IF72000, the color bit depth in the individual channels (RBG adjustments through the service menu?) was 10 vs. 8 for the usual picture adjusts. Therefore it was theoretically advantageous to use the individual RBG adjustments for the D1 with the 7200, at least. Anyway, I didn't like the color results trying to crank the the individual RGBYs in the BENQ. The colors were not saturated enough and color balance looked a bit messed up trying that method. So, I settled with using the usual color level slide.

I would like to know from BenQ what custiom settings in the D1, if any, other than 720p would be optimal. It looks fine with 720p IMO, but if there's something even better.... Any chance you could get this info from BenQ?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drapp1952

I would like to know from BenQ what custiom settings in the D1, if any, other than 720p would be optimal. It looks fine with 720p IMO, but if there's something even better.... Any chance you could get this info from BenQ?
The Bravo D1's 720p DVI output will give you 1:1 pixel mapping and an optimum setting for the BenQ 8700 or any other HD2 DLP displays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.