AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16947566


Looks the same as the optoma except the optoma has better contrast

I wanna see what the calibrated specs are, because too many manufactures exaggerate their specs, which can easily be done with a miscalibrated image. Others get their specs from a calibrated image. So, the question is: Is the Optoma 4,000:1 contrast ratio a calibrated contrast ratio or miscalibrated? Same question goes for the BenQ. I'd like a shootout, please!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
...probably a 4x color wheel as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconstein /forum/post/16947867


Your turn Infocus. Let's see what you got!

I get the impression Infocus has no desire to move further downmarket. I haven't heard any rumours for an X10 replacement once the closeout sells through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/16948934


I wanna see what the calibrated specs are, because too many manufactures exaggerate their specs, which can easily be done with a miscalibrated image. Others get their specs from a calibrated image. So, the question is: Is the Optoma 4,000:1 contrast ratio a calibrated contrast ratio or miscalibrated? Same question goes for the BenQ. I'd like a shootout, please!


Well, not long after I posted this I check the HD20 thread and guess what? When calibrated the HD20 is about 1400:1 on/off contrast and 600ansi lumens. Not that it can't throw a nice image with 1400:1, especially with a good ansi contrast great shadow detail, but I'd like a 1080p unit with similar on/off contrast to my Sharp DT-500 using its iris.


Let's hope the Vivitek and BenQ come closer to their listed specs once calibrated, at least in terms of contrast ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/16952574


Let's hope the Vivitek and BenQ come closer to their listed specs once calibrated, at least in terms of contrast ratio.

I was pretty disappointed to see the actual measures from the optoma....I was not expecting it to hit the specs, but had hope for better performance than 1400:1 @ 600lumens.


the benQ is the most conservative in its contrast spec, so lets hope it can hit it with some level of usable lumens. I'd be all over a BenQ at this price point with similar performance to the W10K....a little disappointing that 3 years they were producing projectors that could hit +4,000:1 native contrast ratio. but I guess it is not fair to compare machines of $7K MSRP to $1K MSRP.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the benQ is the most conservative in its contrast spec, so lets hope it can hit it with some level of usable lumens. I'd be all over a BenQ at this price point with similar performance to the W10K....a little disappointing that 3 years they were producing projectors that could hit +4,000:1 native contrast ratio. but I guess it is not fair to compare machines of $7K MSRP to $1K MSRP.....[/quote]


Also remember that the W10K was a DC3 machine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Did anyone notice V-sync is 50-85Hz? No 24hz support.


Rew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
I wish these manufacturers would record specs with calibrated projectors, but in reality they know all that most people see is a number and think more is better. Many might not stop to think it really is more than something with a lower number.


I hope eventually we can get an affordable 1500-2000ansi lumen 1080p DLP at D65 and at least 3,500:1 Native Contrast after calibration; hopefully with an iris that can be turned on and off. That's a feature I love on my DT-500. Heck, I'd be happy if we could get even 1,000 lumens calibrated at D65.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Any info yet on offset? I am waiting to hear how this stack up against the Optoma and the New Vivitek, but the Optoma has the max offset I can go...anything more is a deal breaker, anything less is great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J /forum/post/16953863


I was pretty disappointed to see the actual measures from the optoma....I was not expecting it to hit the specs, but had hope for better performance than 1400:1 @ 600lumens.


the benQ is the most conservative in its contrast spec, so lets hope it can hit it with some level of usable lumens. I'd be all over a BenQ at this price point with similar performance to the W10K....a little disappointing that 3 years they were producing projectors that could hit +4,000:1 native contrast ratio. but I guess it is not fair to compare machines of $7K MSRP to $1K MSRP.....

wow...the bing cash back on the HD20 has pushed me so close to getting it...just that the 500:1 ANSI contrast and uniformity is crappy on it...


its very interesting that benQ is very conservative with their ratings...almost makes me want to wait and see what actual measurements it has...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lee240 /forum/post/16984629


wow...the bing cash back on the HD20 has pushed me so close to getting it...just that the 500:1 ANSI contrast and uniformity is crappy on it...


its very interesting that benQ is very conservative with their ratings...almost makes me want to wait and see what actual measurements it has...

I am right there with you...almost pulled the trigger on the Optoma...just need to know offsets for all of the sub 1K DLPs. The one with the least will probably get my vote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lee240 /forum/post/16984629


......just that the 500:1 ANSI contrast and uniformity is crappy on it...

...

How is 500:1 ANSI crappy? What is the frame of reference for other projectors anywhere near this price range?


My impression was that 500:1 ANSI was superb, as most mfrs would not report ANSI. Maybe I am missing something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch /forum/post/16987084


How is 500:1 ANSI crappy? What is the frame of reference for other projectors anywhere near this price range?


My impression was that 500:1 ANSI was superb, as most mfrs would not report ANSI. Maybe I am missing something.

Your impression is correct. 500:1 ANSI is quite good, and is pretty typical for DLP, though not state-of-the-art.
 
1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Top