AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, or if this is a problem with my projector or screen. Either way I finally mounted my projector to the ceiling and I can't seem to get the picture completely lined up with my screen. In the first pic you can see that the top half is pretty much lined up with the border and corners, but as you go down to the bottom the picture seems to come in towards the bottom and ends about an inch before the actual screen ends.

The closeups show that the upper corners are right, but there are gaps on the bottom. I've tried every adjustment on the mount and can't seem to get it right, I'm wondering if there's another adjustment for the actual projector I'm missing that I can use - or if it's possibly a problem with the screen? Any help would be greatly appreciated, here's a list of my equipment:

-BenQ HT1075 Projector
-Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT Spectrum Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen
-Peerless PRG Precision Gear Projector Mount
-Peerless Round Ceiling Plate (1.5" PVC Pipe Extension)
-Sony BDPS5200 3D Blu-ray Player

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
It looks like you probably have your projector tilted up slightly, which is introducing the keystone distortion you're seeing. What adjustments does that mount have? You'll want to tilt it back down to level, and then either move the projector itself up towards the ceiling or bring the screen down to line up with the new picture.

You can also use the digital keystone correction to "fix" it, but you'll lose some resolution because of how that works. Best would be to have the keystone set to 0 (vertical and horizontal) and adjust the projector and/or screen to line it up.

ETA: And if it's already level, check to make sure your keystone corrections are already set to 0.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like you probably have your projector tilted up slightly, which is introducing the keystone distortion you're seeing. What adjustments does that mount have? You'll want to tilt it back down to level, and then either move the projector itself up towards the ceiling or bring the screen down to line up with the new picture.

You can also use the digital keystone correction to "fix" it, but you'll lose some resolution because of how that works. Best would be to have the keystone set to 0 (vertical and horizontal) and adjust the projector and/or screen to line it up.

ETA: And if it's already level, check to make sure your keystone corrections are already set to 0.
Thanks so much! I'll do that when I get home. There are two main adjustments with the Peerless mount I have (besides swivel) tilt up/down, or tilt side to side. I've tried doing that and nothing works. Hopefully it's not a mount/height issue since I've already made my custom extension tube. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks so much! I'll do that when I get home. There are two main adjustments with the Peerless mount I have (besides swivel) tilt up/down, or tilt side to side. I've tried doing that and nothing works. Hopefully it's not a mount/height issue since I've already made my custom extension tube. :(
Yeah, that would be unfortunate. But just make sure you're already at 0 on the keystone corrections. If so, tilting down should square off the image (though now it'll be below the screen surface). Hopefully you can extend the screen just a bit more to compensate. Otherwise, you'll have to either rework your extension, or set a digital keystone correction on the projector.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, that would be unfortunate. But just make sure you're already at 0 on the keystone corrections. If so, tilting down should square off the image (though now it'll be below the screen surface). Hopefully you can extend the screen just a bit more to compensate. Otherwise, you'll have to either rework your extension, or set a digital keystone correction on the projector.

Good luck.
Actually, I'm an idiot. The HT1075 has vertical lens shift. So set keystone to 0, tilt it to square, and shift the lens to put it back on the screen surface. You'll probably have to mess with the zoom/focus just a bit as well after your adjustments. Hopefully you aren't already at the end of that shift range...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Good luck.
Actually, I'm an idiot. The HT1075 has vertical lens shift. So set keystone to 0, tilt it to square, and shift the lens to put it back on the screen surface. You'll probably have to mess with the zoom/focus just a bit as well after your adjustments. Hopefully you aren't already at the end of that shift range...
I tried changing that after I first mounted it, but it didn't seem to do anything. My keystone was set to zero so I'll try that next. Time to bust out my flathead!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh man, so I tried the digital lens shift and just like I remember - nothing changed in terms of the bottom corners. But my idiot self just realized what the problem was.

I accidentally made a gust of wind that moved the screen, and saw that when i moved the bottom closer to the wall the corners corrected themselves (for the most part.) The bottom must curl up and out from being rolled up constantly. It makes sense. Now I feel stupid. Hopefully if I leave it hanging it will correct itself. Otherwise I suppose I can live with it. I finally bought the Andrew Jones 5.1 speaker system so that should make me feel better once it's set up. Thanks for all the help guys! (Unless anyone has a solve for curl at the bottom of the screen?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts