AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a benq ht1085st projector for 2 reasons, its short throw and its ability to be positioned off to the side and not in front of the projector screen. Does anybody who owns one of these projectors have to setup off to the side, I tried for about a hour yesterday trying to adjust it and could not for the life of me get it to actually display a nice rectangular 16x9 picture, it was a trapezoid.

Any help/input would be great

Thanks

Chepnut

the setup I had to test it with, is the projector about 5ft from where the screen will be and about 6 feet from center to the right against the wall.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Does the projector even support both horizontal and vertical keystone correction? It's not in the manual, and may not be supported.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7436.pdf

If it does not, then you MUST have the lens on center.

If it does, then you still likely only get a few degrees of keystone correction, maybe as much as 20 degrees. You are off by more than 45 degrees from center.

All of this, with a short throw lens is just devastating to image quality and should not be done. My guess is that it can't be done. Not even close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All the reviews I have seen suggest it does have both horizontal and vertical keystone, just no lens shift in either direction. So you should be able to make keystone adjustments in the PJ's menu settings, whether it will be enough though is open to question.The angle you are proposing is EXTREME and very unlikely to be able to adjust completely.

Thing is, even with the keystone it is not proper lens shift and so introduces digital artefacts and ultmately reduces image quality. Can you place on a coffee table more central to the screen, as that is probably the only way it is going to work.

I don't think there is a PJ out there that could accommodate a 6ft shift over 5ft. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news....

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
The W1080ST only had keystone correction in the vertical plane from what I've read.

But, the HT1085ST is certainly listed as having both horizontal and vertical keystone correction on their main website, even if the manual is less than clear about it...

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/HT1085ST

On that page (Specifications) it also specifically lists the compensation as +/- 20 degrees.

Would have to bust out some geometry to give you how much that correlates to for any screen size, but I'm thinking that the current placement is over twice the compensation that projector allows for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts