AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Thanks for your early review. Reading between the lines here doesn't make sense to upgrade yet to this 4k, but certainly this is a good sign that tech is slowly improving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the review. What screen did you use and size? Any thoughts on the approx lumen output of the different modes? Looking forward to the 2050A comparison.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
CFI is not available in 3D.

:( Thank you for the clarification. For me that's not too hard as I intend to continue using my Optoma DLP projector with 3D RF glasses and for 3D + CFI, but it would be nice if the HT5550 would come with this feature, although I consider it unlikely.

Reactions: sage11x

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you for the review and look forward to seeing any follow-up. This projector is on my shortlist when I make the 4K upgrade later this year (need everything: disc player, streamers, receiver, cables, as everything was set up for 1080 8 years ago).

·
Registered
244 Posts
What's the input lag like with the image enhancers on except for the CFI? I would think that's how most people would want to play for the best picture if they are sending a 4k signal from something like an Xbox One X.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for this amazing review Sage.

I'm still waiting for a laser version of a projector like this, but after this review the HT3550 is tempting me to stop waiting.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I still calibrate my HD25 twin pjs every year, of course it’s just for fun. But at least to know HD25 still runs perfectly for it’s original color space within these 4 years.

And it’s time for me to go 4K gerneration. Now HT3550 and HT5550 are already in my pocket choice. The only concern still in the contrast in HDR mode. If the native contrast goes up to 2000:1 , that would be great. Ok, will wait for Chris review, thanks.

That’s awesome! I’m not there yet— haha! Especially now that HDR10 is the standard. Which is why I put SO much emphasis on HDR tone mapping in my review.

It’s not going to be that high. My eyeball guesstimate when comparing head to head with an HT2050A is native contrast will fall just behind the best 1080p models but the addition of HDR, the Dynamic Black with iris, and the awesome color volume of the HT3550 pushes it’s dynamic contrast or perceived contrast well beyond what that model is capable of.

Everyone needs to remember that the Epson 4010, a projector praised for it’s contrast/blacks, measures the same native contrast as an HT2050A. An iris, the smart application of contrast algorithms and quality HDR tone mapping can make all the difference.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What's the input lag like with the image enhancers on except for the CFI? I would think that's how most people would want to play for the best picture if they are sending a 4k signal from something like an Xbox One X.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Out of the box with CFI off the projector scores in the low 70s. The iris makes a small difference (because it’s use is attached to the Dynamic Black tech) and the 4K pixel enhancer took me the rest of the way.

BenQ claims his thing should be able to target 55ms but I’m not able to replicate that. Again, I’m using the same Leo Bodnar tester I’ve scored other projectors with so I’m confident in the measurement. My only questing is this: the Bodnar outputs 1080p so it is absolutely possible the extra half frame I’m getting is due to the projector upconverting 1080p to 4K. If that’s the case, a reduction of 8ms would bring the projector in line with BenQ’s estimate— assuming you feed it a 4K signal. But I can’t prove that so I gotta stick with what I see.

Reactions: BrandonH

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the review. What screen did you use and size? Any thoughts on the approx lumen output of the different modes? Looking forward to the 2050A comparison.

100” Silver Ticket 1.1

https://www.silverticketproducts.com/products/str-169100

I did some calculations to try and figure out fL but my Lux meter is so crude I couldn’t get consistent results. I decided not to post as I’m not confident in the data. Projector central will likely come through here.

My guess is D Cinema (filter) is below 1000 lumens. The other modes are more or less comparable to the HT2550. So maybe 1400/1500 lumens? But that’s strictly a guess and my lamp is not yet at 100 hrs. It’s not quite as bright as the Ht2050A but then the HT2050A is super bright for an RGBRGB.

Reactions: jpbonadio

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
@sage11x Since I've not had the opportunity to view a 4K Projector, I'm really looking forward to the HT2050a comparison for better context for me.

Without going into detail, would you say there is no contest "on every level" between the HT3550 and the HT2050a? Meaning, is there anything that the 2050a does better, like motion handling, contrast/black level or 1080p in general? For me, if the HT2050a does anything better than the HT3550, it probably doesn't make sense for me to dump my HT2050a and spend 2X for the HT3550.

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
@sage11x, well done. It's clear that you've put a lot of effort into developing your projector reviewing skills. This was not only thoroughly informative but as fair and balanced as the best of the pro reviewers. Pointing out that this was an engineering sample and that some things may change reminds me of the projectorcentral.com review of the HT2550. The initial review was done with an engineering sample and they had to rewrite their review after they got a production sample because the performance was improved. So your follow-up with a production sample will be anticipated to see what might have changed for the better.

Speaking of the HT2550 it's clear now why its street price is falling fast. Once the HT3550 is being sold at the same original MSRP it's just going to kill HT2550 sales.

·
Registered
553 Posts
@sage11x thanks for the comprehensive review. While I certainly value "professional" equipment reviews I have always paid closer attention to enthusiast reviews/opinions. Your assessment of the HT3550 confirmed my high hopes for this projector. It really appears to me that Benq paid attention to user comments from the first gen .47 DMD units and designed the HT3550 accordingly. The gaming input lag doesn't bother me since I regularly satisfy my Overwatch/FPS addiction on a 4K monitor. As I mentioned in an earlier post I really look forward to watching the unique animation/CGI style of Spider Verse in 4K on the 3550.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@sage11x Since I've not had the opportunity to view a 4K Projector, I'm really looking forward to the HT2050a comparison for better context for me.

Without going into detail, would you say there is no contest "on every level" between the HT3550 and the HT2050a? Meaning, is there anything that the 2050a does better, like motion handling, contrast/black level or 1080p in general? For me, if the HT2050a does anything better than the HT3550, it probably doesn't make sense for me to dump my HT2050a and spend 2X for the HT3550.
The HT2050A has one clear advantage over the HT3550: Gaming.

That 16ms of lag is stupid fast and DLPs high motion resolution makes the HT2050A a really competitive gaming display. I actually much prefer it to my 10ms TN gaming monitor and while the performance is similar to my 16-20ms Panasonic S30-- I don't have to worry about IR on the BenQ. :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The HT2050A has one clear advantage over the HT3550: Gaming.

That 16ms of lag is stupid fast and DLPs high motion resolution makes the HT2050A a really competitive gaming display. I actually much prefer it to my 10ms TN gaming monitor and while the performance is similar to my 16-20ms Panasonic S30-- I don't have to worry about IR on the BenQ. :)
Thanks Sage. I'm not a gamer, so the Lag means zilch to me. I'm 100% movies with 99% of that being physical discs. I am still eager to read your comparison review in the future, but if that's the main clear advantage, the HT2050a will continue to have a permanent home in my room :)

EDIT- sorry, I confused myself. The 2050a has the clear advantage with the lag. duh. I was thinking backwards. What I'm interested in knowing is if the HT3550 has clear advantages in everything else, or just resolution.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks Sage. I'm not a gamer, so the Lag means zilch to me. I'm 100% movies with 99% of that being physical discs. I am still eager to read your comparison review in the future, but if that's the main clear advantage, the HT2050a will continue to have a permanent home in my room :)
Hm, not sure if you misunderstood or maybe I wasn't clear. :)

What I was saying is the HT2050A's advantage over the HT3550 is it's gaming prowess.

The HT3550's advantages over the HT2050A are numerous. But that's really not surprising as it's a 4K projector that retails for twice the price. :) Whether it's worth it to you to step up from HD to 4K is only a decision you can make. How much is that $750 worth to you?

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hm, not sure if you misunderstood or maybe I wasn't clear. :)

What I was saying is the HT2050A's advantage over the HT3550 is it's gaming prowess.

The HT3550's advantages over the HT2050A are numerous. But that's really not surprising as it's a 4K projector that retails for twice the price. :) Whether it's worth it to you to step up from HD to 4K is only a decision you can make. How much is that $750 worth to you?

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@sage11x thanks for the comprehensive review. While I certainly value "professional" equipment reviews I have always paid closer attention to enthusiast reviews/opinions. Your assessment of the HT3550 confirmed my high hopes for this projector. It really appears to me that Benq paid attention to user comments from the first gen .47 DMD units and designed the HT3550 accordingly. The gaming input lag doesn't bother me since I regularly satisfy my Overwatch/FPS addiction on a 4K monitor. As I mentioned in an earlier post I really look forward to watching the unique animation/CGI style of Spider Verse in 4K on the 3550.
Thanks!

I agree and that's a sentiment that my contact has shared frequently.

21 - 40 of 646 Posts