AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| M-Vision 260HB|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,335 Posts
you can buy a lot of lamps for the cost of the 9050.
Bulb cost is not an issue. Just needed a second projector that going to be used daily that is preferable 4k led/laser.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Bulb cost is not an issue. Just needed a second projector that going to be used daily that is preferable 4k led/laser.
I can understand having a second projector for sports and TV viewing. That is what I use my RS640 for.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I do the same thing.. I have a 1080 projector for the kids below my 640 and thats all they use for gaming.. Sometimes if is a 1080 movie ill just watch it on my kids projector to not use mines.. lol Call it weird but i love it this way.. Mines is strickly for uhd and 3D.. Not even the wife can touch my projector..

I

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| M-Vision 260HB|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,335 Posts
The HT9060 is the best overall 4K DLP LED/Laser under $20k IMO. Ht9050 I would pass on though
I haven't really got a good reason to why I should pass on the ht9050. Then lens and contrast is the same. Both are LED and the same brightness. I know the ht9060 is superior, but can someone outline it for me?

·
Registered
29,960 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
But what if your only source is madVR, so you are always doing HDR -> SDR tone-mapping before the projector and you can map all your content to DCI-P3 for the native LED lamp gamut?
That's true and in my case, would not be an issue since I was Madvr. It looked like the lens, light source, brightness, and contrast is the same.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
That's true and in my case, would not be an issue since I was Madvr. It looked like the lens, light source, brightness, and contrast is the same.
With the 9060, you can't use MadVR and the wider color space for HDR. I can't remember if the 9050 has that same restriction. I do believe that if you can get it to work with MadVR, that you will run into problems, since the 9050 does not have support for BT2020.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,194 Posts
With the 9060, you can't use MadVR and the wider color space for HDR. I can't remember if the 9050 has that same restriction. I do believe that if you can get it to work with MadVR, that you will run into problems, since the 9050 does not have support for BT2020.
When you have madVR you don't use HDR on the projector, you use madVR to convert HDR to SDR. But even though it's SDR, you can still output the video in the wider color gamut, and of course you get to control the tone-mapping of the nits to your own screen brightness.

You get the wider color gamut when you put the HT9060 in normal or vivid color profile modes, it uses the LED native gamut then which is really close to P3, possibly even beyond P3 in some colors. You can then use a 3DLUT in madVR to trim that down to a very nice P3 gamut and get all the saturations to track nicely too.

I don't see why this would be any different with the HT9050 as well to be honest.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I tried the 9050 for about a month through Benq direct, Ben Q is a great company to deal with and excellent customer service. The projector itself was plenty bright and sharp contrast was not that great. The worst part of all was the way it handled sports and other material. There was a Judder effect watching basketball or football or anything for that matter. I tried running it through the dvdo edge video processor it helped a little bit but it was still unwatchable. I’m thinking it was all the processing it had to do to make 4K The projector made an annoying buzzing noise all the time too.

Btw at the time I had my infocus 777 3 chip DLP projector, The motion On the infocus is far superior to the 9050

I now have the jvc nx5 and enjoy it for everything...

If you’re insistent on having a second DLP projector than I would stick with 1080p

Just my two cents ;)

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
When you have madVR you don't use HDR on the projector, you use madVR to convert HDR to SDR. But even though it's SDR, you can still output the video in the wider color gamut, and of course you get to control the tone-mapping of the nits to your own screen brightness.

You get the wider color gamut when you put the HT9060 in normal or vivid color profile modes, it uses the LED native gamut then which is really close to P3, possibly even beyond P3 in some colors. You can then use a 3DLUT in madVR to trim that down to a very nice P3 gamut and get all the saturations to track nicely too.

I don't see why this would be any different with the HT9050 as well to be honest.
I seemed to recall Kris saying if not using the HDR mode, the projector mapped to Rec709? I did find the post of kris's regarding the 9050:

"The 9050 did have a proper 2020 color gamut, it uses actual P3. So you would need to ensure that your calibration takes that into account and that the device you're using converts 2020 to P3 (both the Lumagen and MadVR can do this). Performance for the dynamic contrast may be different as others have reported, I did not have a chance to compare the projectors directly for this."

So it looks like the 9050 used with MadVR would not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts

Correct. All the color modes are what appear to be native gamut, which is a bit all over the place TBH. You could try and correct with a 3D LUT if you have a device capable, but YMMV. But really only applies to those with something like MadVR or a Radiance and the calibration software/hardware to make it work.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
You could use MadVR or the Radiance if you have the hardware/software to do LUT calibrations. The native gamut would get you in the ballpark, but because it is so unbalanced, you may have some artifacts associated with the LUT. You would also probably want to convert input signals to P3 unless using Lightspace's LUT options.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
You could use MadVR or the Radiance if you have the hardware/software to do LUT calibrations. The native gamut would get you in the ballpark, but because it is so unbalanced, you may have some artifacts associated with the LUT. You would also probably want to convert input signals to P3 unless using Lightspace's LUT options.
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
I need to see what changed with the ht9060, because that review was terrible
One big change is the dynamic dimming on the ht9060 actually works while it does barely anything with real content on the ht9050.

Ht9050 also had some weird hardware issue that some people experienced with white flashing (see art feierman's review of ht9050,.also someone on forum had same issue). Ht9060 added 3d and HDR modes as well.

Ht9050 was basically unfinished projector, ht9060 final product.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts