1 - 20 of 2609 Posts

·
Registered
30,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any DLP under 100K as of right now will be an E-shift type of device.
Boo hiss. Figured but wanted to confirm as $13k isn't exactly cheap though in fairness I've not kept up with pricing for these wobulating 4K DLPs.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
It is the same as the big lamp/HLD units, assuming it is the same one BenQ displayed at ISE in February. Yes it is, actually working demo at Infocomm:

The ACER 8800 comes in the same housing as the Optoma 4K500. The Casio 8300 comes in a white version of the big chassis used in the first generation of XPR products from ACER, and BenQ. What is the US pricing on that Casio?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
It is the same as the big lamp/HLD units, assuming it is the same one BenQ displayed at ISE in February. Yes it is, actually working demo at Infocomm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIpmuyBhXk

The ACER 8800 comes in the same housing as the Optoma 4K500. The Casio 8300 comes in a white version of the big chassis used in the first generation of XPR products from ACER, and BenQ. What is the US pricing on that Casio?
Casio costs about $1000 less than the BenQ.

The thing that needs to happen to make this into a truly great projector is to have an iris toggle for HDR and non HDR content. Otherwise it's going to be too bright for typical small to medium dark home theaters.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Casio costs about $1000 less than the BenQ.

The thing that needs to happen to make this into a truly great projector is to have an iris toggle for HDR and non HDR content. Otherwise it's going to be too bright for typical small to medium dark home theaters.
I remember when that seemed impossible for anything approaching reasonably priced!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ah I was told at ISE the Listprice would be €5000 plus tax, so a little over €6K. Casio may have upped its price.

What is the difference between this Coretronic chassis/platform and the R50 that seems to be the basis for the ACER 8800, and the Optoma 4K500?

The R50K is the MCLA version. The original Blue only laser version has a slightly larger box, and can offer more lumens, as there is no need to balance red;-). The platform is offered in anything from WXGA up. And the same engine is also used in the UST form, 4000 lumens in case of MCLA (P3), and 5000 in case of the Dell (Blue?) laser version.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
These don't have a laser level setting? I did not think these were too bright when demoed at ISE. I thought the UHD 60 was underpowered/washed out, on a small screen.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Will this DLP 4k projector with the wobulation fix the noise issues of the others in regards to the mechanism that moves the chip, the poor video processing of all he 4k wonulation dlp projectors I've read where there is judder in panning, the poor 50hz processing. If these have been addressed I'll be impressed.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Will this DLP 4k projector with the wobulation fix the noise issues of the others in regards to the mechanism that moves the chip
That depends on the chassis and how insulated it is for noise, so it will vary from projector to projector.

poor video processing of all he 4k wonulation dlp projectors I've read where there is judder in panning, the poor 50hz processing. If these have been addressed I'll be impressed.
TI issued a firmware update in August 2017 that enabled native 24p (48hz @ 2:2) and native 50hz for all DLP 4k projectors. All new models should have this update. All older models can be updated via USB, but it is up to the manufacturers if they wish to do so.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
That depends on the chassis and how insulated it is for noise, so it will vary from projector to projector.

TI issued a firmware update in August 2017 that enabled native 24p (48hz @ 2:2) and native 50hz for all DLP 4k projectors. All new models should have this update. All older models can be updated via USB, but it is up to the manufacturers if they wish to do so.
What they released were guidelines and software to add support for such features. But the manufacturers still need to code it out and implement a firmware update if they choose to add support for it. Such an update is not guaranteed. Your post makes it seem as if BenQ, Optoma and others simply have to provide a download link to what TI released last month. That is not the case.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ah I was told at ISE the Listprice would be €5000 plus tax, so a little over €6K. Casio may have upped its price.

What is the difference between this Coretronic chassis/platform and the R50 that seems to be the basis for the ACER 8800, and the Optoma 4K500?

The R50K is the MCLA version. The original Blue only laser version has a slightly larger box, and can offer more lumens, as there is no need to balance red;-). The platform is offered in anything from WXGA up. And the same engine is also used in the UST form, 4000 lumens in case of MCLA (P3), and 5000 in case of the Dell (Blue?) laser version.
Have you seen or read anywhere how the MCLA projectors compare in RBE vs a lamp 6x RGBRGB color wheel? The marketing diagram makes it difficult to discern what colors are being flashed each cycle and how fast.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Have you seen or read anywhere how the MCLA projectors compare in RBE vs a lamp 6x RGBRGB color wheel? The marketing diagram makes it difficult to discern what colors are being flashed each cycle and how fast.
Nope, personally I am not very sensitive to RBE.

The lead customer for MCLA was EIKI, turns out it launched its first two (WXGA/WUXGA) 8K lumens MCL projectors at Infocomm 2016. They started shipping in December or January. At 8K any RBE should be more easily visible.

BTW, Casio Europe got back to me, € listprice/MSRP is €6500 excluding VAT.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
I got a BenQ LK970 5,000 lumen laser XPR DLP here the other day and after a couple days fiddling with it using an Oppo 203 with its HDR to SDR tone mapping, all I can say is that it is the best I have ever seen Ghostbusters 2016 and especially Planet Earth II look, non-optimal native contrast notwithstanding! Simply phenomenal!!! I have now come to realize that high resolution, wide color gamut and lumens, lumens, lumens are what makes HDR truly sing!!! Of course great contrast too would be icing on the cake, but that's tough to do with DLP light cannons. I have a Sony VW885ES coming soon so it'll be interesting to compare them. I can't imagine the Sony being $18K better, but I'm sure even with the talk about it's not so great contrast, it still will beat the LK970 natively on/off. I gotta tell you though, even in the night scenes in GB at the end, I didn't feel lacking in the blacks and shadow detail dept at all!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the update Dave! I’m planning a 190” wide 2.37 screen using zoom method and need a lot of lumens. Throw distance is 29’. I had been looking at the Epson Pro L1100 which has 6000 lumens. Seems like the BenQ LK970 is also a very good option for those not wanting to spend 20k+. How would you compare the BenQ to the peso pro L1100? Any significant advantages for either?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a BenQ LK970 5,000 lumen laser XPR DLP here the other day and after a couple days fiddling with it using an Oppo 203 with its HDR to SDR tone mapping, all I can say is that it is the best I have ever seen Ghostbusters 2016 and especially Planet Earth II look, non-optimal native contrast notwithstanding! Simply phenomenal!!! I have now come to realize that high resolution, wide color gamut and lumens, lumens, lumens are what makes HDR truly sing!!! Of course great contrast too would be icing on the cake, but that's tough to do with DLP light cannons. I have a Sony VW885ES coming soon so it'll be interesting to compare them. I can't imagine the Sony being $18K better, but I'm sure even with the talk about it's not so great contrast, it still will beat the LK970 natively on/off. I gotta tell you though, even in the night scenes in GB at the end, I didn't feel lacking in the blacks and shadow detail dept at all!
Thanks for the information Dave.

How does this projector compares to the Optoma UHZ65?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Dave, are you going to look at any other 4k Blu-ray movies?

·
Registered
30,223 Posts
Will this projector do DCI color space or does it just do Rec709 with HDR? Most of these DLP's seem to only do Rec709, but if this actually does CI color space, it makes it an interesting option for HDR. How is it's dimming system, very noticable?

1 - 20 of 2609 Posts